Fort Bend ISD Shadow Creek Ranch Zoned To Willowridge

VicMan

Shadow Creek Ranch announced where the Fort Bend ISD neighborhoods are zoned.

SCR in Fort Bend County is zoned to Willowridge HS, McAuliffe MS, and Blue Ridge ES. All three schools are in Houston.

SCR states this here: http://www.shadowcreekranch.net/education/e_defaultfs.html

In 2005 it was announced that FBISD residents could send their kids to Marek ES (on the Brazoria County side in Alvin ISD) until FBISD builds new schools. So far FBISD has not built schools for the FBISD part of SCR http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=93cbae23a45c958b

I wonder how SCR is going to be able to sell the homes if Willowridge has a terrible reputation. Then again, I know people are buying homes in the southside of Houston, where the zoned schools are Worthing, Sterling, and Madison (no new homes are being built in the Jones attendance zone).

Maybe what SCR needs to do is price the Fort Bend homes at 100-250K (similar to the Houston southside homes) UNLESS FBISD promises to rezone it to another middle school and/or high school.

I went to McAuliffe and enjoyed the experience...don't know about the area not being as nice as my parents still live out there and our house offers way more than those cracker jack boxes in new areas for way less. Some neighborhoods zoned to McAuliffe have went down over the years but mine is evenly split between CMMS and Missouri City MS and we have great access to anywhere in the city now..

A $250K house doesn't mean the folks living inside will amount to anything...I had folks leave my old neighborhood for Sugar Land and they struggled big time in the classroom and socially....

SCR is overrated in my opinion, too dark and I can get less cost but more value elsewhere

I think the FBISD issue will resolve itself with time. As new resident's move in, the population will increase an allow for SCR-FBISD schools. Similar to Mary Marek Elem in AISD and the new Laura Ingalls Elem and up coming Nolan Ryan JH (also AISD). I think the biggest issue will be the high schools and who knows if this area would ever get their own school. At best, AISD and PISD are average, as are most districts in the Houston area. There are pockets of exemplary schools (particularly elementary), but not a huge number of great high schools. I've grown up in the Houston area and seen some great and not so good schools and most made the best of it.

Shadow Creek Ranch announced where the Fort Bend ISD neighborhoods are zoned.

SCR in Fort Bend County is zoned to Willowridge HS, McAuliffe MS, and Blue Ridge ES. All three schools are in Houston.

SCR states this here: http://www.shadowcreekranch.net/education/e_defaultfs.html

In 2005 it was announced that FBISD residents could send their kids to Marek ES (on the Brazoria County side in Alvin ISD) until FBISD builds new schools. So far FBISD has not built schools for the FBISD part of SCR http://www.thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=93cbae23a45c958b

Woah..that sucks..Willowridge & McAuliffe are horrible.

The chances that your kid will get beat up several times & get bullied regularly is pretty high.

Trust me..i went to Missouri City Middle School...it's pretty similar to McAuliffe. I'm thankful my parents moved before I had to go to Willowridge.

Spending all that money on a house and paying those taxes..and you have to send your kids to those crappy schools? I'd definitely be looking to sue them for false advertising or something.

Dizzyedge: I wish that it was easy to move Willowridge HS into HS (along with McAuliffe MS and four elementary schools) along with the Fort Bend Houston super neighborhood. Then it would be a reliever for Madison HS in Houston.

I would also merge Pearland ISD and Alvin ISD and move the Fort Bend part of SCR into the consolidated Pearland-Alvin ISD.

Beat up? Here we go......at one time Willowridge was the most envied school in Houston as they were successful academically, athletically and socially. The band spoke for itself, the athletes were bar none and folks had pride in the community as most of the teachers/parents were first generation college grads who sent their kids to the school and were proud.

Jealousy by FBISD administators and a promise made to parents in the early 90s for a Mo. City area school (FB Marshall) led to unnecessary rezonings and the demise of Ridge. The area is pretty much built out so growth now is stagnant, older families have paid off homes and haven't moved out and the younger families who have Willowridge ties are now in Teal Run and all points South. In all reality, taxpayers got jipped as Willowridge's enrollment has dropped which basically means Marshall was not needed.

Dizzyedge..are you white or black? That explains your perception of the schools..if you're black and acted like that you didn't belong there anyway. If your white, you quickly became the minority and probably didn't fit in but I knew some whites who went to Mo. City and loved it when it was black...I went to CMMS and my brothers went to Mo. City.....we didn't have any problems...

Trae....not mistaken, you live in Katy in an area that was a fram 4 years ago so I doubt you'll ever understand my point of view as your area is far from reality. I'm not that old but my generation was productive without all the amenities you folks have. I work in a collegiate environment now and kids don't have the desire to do anything because they've been spoiled due to their parent's wealth. Areas such as Katy, The Woodlands, etc. aren't exposed to alot of things so they act amazed when they encounter folks without the silver spoons. I'm afraid to see the mindset of the kids this generation will produce...

Vic...what would an HISD move accomplish? Nothing.....They can't support their own now so you want to add another 5,000 or so students to a cash strapped district? FBISD ain't dumb, Ridge leaves and has success next thing you know they have egg on their face. Keeping them tucked away in a corner is their philosophy.

"The area is pretty much built out so growth now is stagnant, older families have paid off homes and haven't moved out and the younger families who have Willowridge ties are now in Teal Run and all points South. In all reality, taxpayers got jipped as Willowridge's enrollment has dropped which basically means Marshall was not needed.

"

FBISD rezoned a chunk of land south of FB Houston to Willowridge (From Hightower's zone). As of writing the chunk is undeveloped.

"

Vic...what would an HISD move accomplish? Nothing.....They can't support their own now so you want to add another 5,000 or so students to a cash strapped district? FBISD ain't dumb, Ridge leaves and has success next thing you know they have egg on their face. Keeping them tucked away in a corner is their philosophy."

HISD has plenty of money - It has a low tax rate due to the businesses and condo towers in the center city. The financial issues with HISD mainly are the high number of administrators and urban politics. The challenge is to convince FB Houston residents to support a rezone and to get HISD to accept the land.

If the people of Fort Bend Houston convince HISD to take them in, I am not sure if there is much FBISD can do.

"Trae....not mistaken, you live in Katy in an area that was a fram 4 years ago so I doubt you'll ever understand my point of view as your area is far from reality."

Trae lives in the Katy area, but he's from Alief.

Trae....not mistaken, you live in Katy in an area that was a fram 4 years ago so I doubt you'll ever understand my point of view as your area is far from reality. I'm not that old but my generation was productive without all the amenities you folks have. I work in a collegiate environment now and kids don't have the desire to do anything because they've been spoiled due to their parent's wealth. Areas such as Katy, The Woodlands, etc. aren't exposed to alot of things so they act amazed when they encounter folks without the silver spoons. I'm afraid to see the mindset of the kids this generation will produce...

I live in Katy now (since the second half of sixth grade) because my parents wanted better schools for us. The same is still happening today. I have a lot of my old friends from fifth, and the first half of sixth grade moving out of Alief, and on into Lakemont, Grand Mission, far Southern Katy (like Seven Meadows and southern Cinco Ranch), and other new neighborhoods close by Alief, but not in it. I know plenty of kids who are doing just fine there in Alief, so I still don't know why he absolutely had to move.

Well Check this out! I went to McAuliffe and Willowridge my freshman year then my parents moved to Katy because of schools.

I am White..... It was tough being one of 20 white kids in the whole school, but it was all I knew.... so I did not care, I did not experience anything else until the move to Katy in 1992 (Culture Shock) It was like walking into an episode of the "Wonder Years"

If that is all you know it is not bad.... but I can remember waiting for the bus in the morning and another school bus would come by and taunt us! One day they jumped out the back and a huge fight broke out! police arrived to calm the scene. Let's see, my neighbor across the street was Carribean and was taunted for not being American Black and had Malitov (SP) cocktails thrown on his home (glass bottles filled with gasoline with a paper wick, light and throw)

Just two stories of too many I have.... I went to Ridgemont ELe so I can not speak of Blue Ridge!

I would be Pissed... Living next to a landfill that can grow to 17 stories, going to those schools, even if it is temporary!

Drive down Trammel Fresno and the new Neighborhoods advertise "Great Fort Bend Schools" ------Wrong!

I'm not going to take my kid out of a comfort zone just due to the school system...if all else fails try private school or an intradistrict transfer...but alot of times also, whites had it better than some blacks at Ridge as they had no problem blending in...

I know of several kids who lived in my old area attend private schools for athletic purposes and didn't turn out like they wanted. I also saw alot of kids rezoned to Dulles High (they lived only 3 miles from Ridge), etc. and get lost in the crowd. One thing that helped me out was alot of my teachers attended colleges I wanted to attend and once they got a whiff of that it was gravy for me as a senior.

Hightower's demographics resemble Willowridge in its heyday.....large amount of African American professionals, small amount of whites/hispanics..however, the school hasn't had the overall success of Willowridge for several reasons.

In 10 years Hightower will shift to another direction when the new school is built...what happens then?

When I lived in the Southwest side I was zoned to Willowridge and Christa McAuliffe and I loved it out their. Most of my older cousins graduated from "Da Ridge'' as they called it. I did not know it was doing that bad on education and not near the student population it once had. When FBISD built Hightower some people were mad because it took so many students from Willowridge. A place like SCR is going to fight this. The builders want to sell their homes and Willowridge wont cut it.

Hightower is basically the same thing add a magnet program....the new high school is contingent on the bond election so it's a gamble anyway as that area will always be in limbo.....buying a house for the school district is a crapshoot anyway as in Houston districts change overnight...

Who would've thought 25 years ago Aldine ISD is now predominately hispanic?

Pearland was a semirural district on the level of Alvin and look at it now

If I bought a house in South Park back in the 60s, did I think the area would quickly turn african american?

Who also thought FBISD and Spring would become heavily minority?

Humble borders North Forest and Aldine....If I'm a North Forest grad and I have a college degree and want a decent house close to where I lived...I'm going to choose Humble and they've done that in droves....

Katy won't change as much due to location....Fort Bend ISD, Aldine, Spring, the southern part of Klein ISD is close to downtown and is accessible by bus and there are plenty of alternate routes to get there...

Katy isn't as easy to get to and alot of blue collar jobs aren't around so a mass exodus of folks won't move there unless alternate transportation means pop up. Also, there isn't a large minority area bordering Katy so it won't happen. Now to the West, Brookshire, Hempstead and Waller residents will probably infiltrate Katy in large numbers but someone has to literally have good transportation or up and move to the area as they aren't that close.

Cy-Fair is heavily minority on the eastern side as it borders HISD and Aldine...alot of apartments are out there already along with bus routes..however, the west side of Cy-Fair is hard to get to unless you have great transportation so it won't change overnight also

• The title was changed to Fort Bend ISD Shadow Creek Ranch Zoned To Willowridge

Archived