Cullen Blvd. At I-45

Just happy they finally bulldozed the old eyesore. It had been there for decades. I too wonder whats next but the dream is to see a high rise condominium complex rise into the sky. Hopefully about 20 plus stories high. This would speak real interest in this Near East End hidden treasure area (Eastwood, etc).

Location, location, location.

Pipe dreams? :)

Ha! Wouldn't that be great? Certainly a prime spot for a residential tower, with close proximity to downtown and I-45. Plus it would have some great views of downtown and the Med Center, with UH as a front yard... Investors with deep pockets, are you out there??? :rolleyes:

Along those same lines, I heard that Finger's is selling off/closing the back half of their store and consolidating the bulk of the company in Sugar Land. Anyone know if this is true? And if so, what's to become of the property?

Correct,

Finger's announced about 5 months ago that the bargain basement was to relocate to Sugarland location real soon. They may as well. The quality of the reduced furniture had become cheap and poorly constructed. Buy a table it breaks with months, etc. So yes, it is to be moved or is as we speak. I did not hear that part of the property was being sold. Wonder if it has to do with Robert Fingers recent death? I doubt it as they couldnt possibly be hurting for mula.

We still miss the wonderful Prince's Drive-In that was right on that corner. Was so convenient to all of Near East End folk. We didnt even know it was to be demolished that weekend until the waitress told us and we all flipped out! By the time I went back that Sunday it was gone but I grabbed a Menu off a flattened order machine. Still have it. Shrimp Basket $4.50, Fish Basket $3.50, getting hungry now.

So yes, a high rise luxury would be next to a miracle but we can dream can't we? They could walk to that Charismatic Center next door. It is huge and nice inside. Lakewood wannabe sort of. :P

Just wondering about the status of the recently cleared area on Cullen across from Finger Furniture. I think it's for sale; any idea on its future?

Townhomes are most likely. High-dollar stuff like highrises doesn't really mix very well with active railroads lines adjacent to the property.

I have a feeling that before these hideous warehouses were there, this was parking areas for Buff Stadium across the street. It would be nice if someone could confirm.

We all know that Finger's Furniture is where Buff Stadium used to stand. Its a miracle they were able to renovate and open the Dorms next door to Fingers after all these years.

Townhomes would be a welcome site and hopefully be expensive ones. Now if only they could get rid of those pesky rail road tracks forever.

You mean the warehouse across, behind the church? Damn so it's all cleared up now? I passed by a couple weeks ago and saw that it was being demolished. I really wanted to snap a few photos of the area in the back next to the tracks, with the original glass windows and all.

All I saw remaining was the twisted railing leading into the office. Rest was rubble, red bricks, etc.

It's funny when your inside Fingers Furniture break room where the baseball memorabilia is, as you read the plaques behind the glass, your actually standing on what was the pitchers mound of Buff Stadium. :P

From the 1935 Humble Oil map that someone posted a while ago, it appears that this site was occupied by the "Tellepsen Warehouse" or "Appleman Bit Service" It also appears that Cullen was called "St Bernard" and terminated at Coyle.

I'd like to see that railroad crossing improved, I've been stuck there because of parked trains.

Can someone post a picture of the demolition?

It is now cleared clean, only flat soil remains.

and yes that train has been pure hell for decades, trains have plagued the Near East End for decades, numerous articles & short stories of bad results have been written, to no avail. Just a small note, no hijacking. :)

Yes, It's pretty likely that most of that land behind Princes and the Charismatic Center site itself was parking for Buff stadium. My dad told me that one of his first plumbing jobs after returning from WWII was to install a toilet in the press box at Buff stadium. It seems that it was becoming real inconvenient for the announcers to keep running up and down the stairs just to take a leak.

I also seem to remember that one weird looking building along the feeder street with the pinwheel style roof was a Triumph sports car dealership at one time.

I'm glad to see it gone as well. I'll be very glad to see something else rise in it's place. It sure would be nice if a newer, nicer grocer moved in--even if Kroger was just updating and expanding. Townhomes would be ok too.

Speaking of the trains, does anyone know if petitions or anything have been circulated to get a quiet zone(s) for the East End? Most of the crossings have lights and gates, but with minor additions (two more gates at intersections), the trains shouldn't have to blow their horns. I mean, they ride those horns out here! Maybe this can become a council race issue for Rodriguez/Marron??

I'm glad to see it gone as well. I'll be very glad to see something else rise in it's place. It sure would be nice if a newer, nicer grocer moved in--even if Kroger was just updating and expanding. Townhomes would be ok too.

Speaking of the trains, does anyone know if petitions or anything have been circulated to get a quiet zone(s) for the East End? Most of the crossings have lights and gates, but with minor additions (two more gates at intersections), the trains shouldn't have to blow their horns. I mean, they ride those horns out here! Maybe this can become a council race issue for Rodriguez/Marron??

This spot is also next to the Magnolia old folks home which I heard at a meeting held nearby will be converted into a drug rehab center, although that doesn't necesarily mean that will have an effect on what is developed there or not but I would think that any townhome developer would be aware of that and wouldn't likely build there.

I actually spoke to John Marron about some plans (we've mentioned them on HAIF a few times but am at work and don't have time to search) for eliminating many of those crossings on the East End by building over and underpasses and emailed him some info but he really never commented much about it. It would be a good campaign issue as it's universally agreed to be needed. If the City could influence those plans into reality the quality of life and property values would see a nice improvement in the area.

The Kroger has been need of expansion for decades. You can't even compare to most Kroger's in Houston. If they close that Kroger this area will really be in desperation for a grocer.

Did someone say drug rehab plans for this area? Ok Eastwood Civic Association, now you better wake up and start the calls. Oy Vey!

the parking lot sure seems empty for something that has needed to be expanded for decades.

expansion? probably not. demolishing and building something new? probably the way to go. that kroger is a dump - its about a mile and a half and i hate going. there's maybe 3 checkout lines, nothing ever looks fresh, the deli section has basically nothing, its just not a good experience. the parking lot is empty because the store sucks.

expansion? probably not. demolishing and building something new? probably the way to go. that kroger is a dump - its about a mile and a half and i hate going. there's maybe 3 checkout lines, nothing ever looks fresh, the deli section has basically nothing, its just not a good experience. the parking lot is empty because the store sucks.

Correct you are on all points, thanks. Couldn't even pare to the flagship store in Greenway area. That store is a world away from this one. When you walk in they actually greet you and normally have entertainment to your right. Last time I went some guy was playing electric guitar to some light jazz. Real cool. Seemed like every other employee asks how you are and if your finding what you need, not to mention offering you fresh cooked delicacies left and right. Could you imagine the Kroger on Polk offering you sushi? Dream on.

Most U of H students shop there only for its close proximity to dorms and near homes. Bulldozing is the best solution. It always seems developers are tearing down the wrong buildings. Boy is this city backwards. Can you picture a Flagship anything in that spot? :wacko: I know, dream on.

Correct you are on all points, thanks. Couldn't even pare to the flagship store in Greenway area. That store is a world away from this one. When you walk in they actually greet you and normally have entertainment to your right. Last time I went some guy was playing electric guitar to some light jazz. Real cool. Seemed like every other employee asks how you are and if your finding what you need, not to mention offering you fresh cooked delicacies left and right. Could you imagine the Kroger on Polk offering you sushi? Dream on.

Most U of H students shop there only for its close proximity to dorms and near homes. Bulldozing is the best solution. It always seems developers are tearing down the wrong buildings. Boy is this city backwards. Can you picture a Flagship anything in that spot? :wacko: I know, dream on.

I second that emotion! The Kroger is TERRIBLE, musicman. That's why there are no cars there. Like Vertigo says, it's a world away from the Shepherd Kroger (which is being expanded, btw), let alone the Buffalo Speedway ot River Oaks locations. I would think that with all the residential development on the eastside, along with U of H, it could be argued that a better store with a larger selection of healthier (even vegetarian items due to students) would be a boon to the area. I may be wrong, but the car count at Gulfgate before it was re-done probably didn't justify the investment Wulfe made in the place.

The market is underserved there. A newer, renovated Kroger would be nice, but I think an HEB there would do well too--and may affect the Midtown Randall's as well. The question is would an HEB at that location be too close to Gulfgate? Or would it be more of a grocer to Midtown/Downtown/and even the Heigths and Montrose?

there was an HEB fairly nearby and it closed when gulfgate opened. the problem is the area residents aren't the river oaks types. businesses like this cater to the majority of the residents in the area. if your last name is sarofim, then i could understand your frustration. :D

i went to one of those metro meetings involving the proposed development near harrisburg and eastwood and the comments were quite comical IMO. "we have to have a starbucks and a border's" LOL

Oh......... don't get me started on the shotgun kroge's, as we call it. It's sad, and I don't know if any major grocery chain could make a go of it in that space until we get more townhome infill between downtown and Scott/Cullen, and the rest of the east end continues to transition. It will happen eventually, I think. In the meantime I stop in only for stuff like cheap wine, coffee, ice cream and the occasional lotto. Hmm, I guess that puts me smack in the middle of their demographic.

Actually, it does get busy at times and a lot of people from the third ward come over to shop. The CVS next door is not scary. When I moved in I thought it would make me crazy, but I don't sweat it, I do the bulk of my shopping/drycleaning, errand running along W Gray since my office is there. I can cope with the Kroger for what it is. The question is, will a big spanking new store attract more people to the neighborhood? Given that with shorter distances, many inner city people shop near their jobs as well as their homes. And it seems many people shop different groceries for different items anyway. Anyone have have any insight or data?

Starbucks and Borders??? What, for all the underserved bookworms I see walking to the quickie mart with the 8 liners? Anyway there's quite a nice coffee/tea place at Wayside and Lawndale. It's a start, anyway. For now our civic association has got its hands full with broken sidewalks and code violaters.

In the meantime I stop in only for stuff like cheap wine, coffee, ice cream and the occasional lotto. Hmm, I guess that puts me smack in the middle of their demographic.

LOL

Anyway there's quite a nice coffee/tea place at Wayside and Lawndale.
and don't forget heights-esque bohemio's.

Yea, stopped in there one night and an open mike was on. Interesting--there are a lot of kids I think on this side of town who aspire, but are intimidated by the alternative-art-music establishment in town, and this seems like a very good venue for them to get their chops.

there was an HEB fairly nearby and it closed when gulfgate opened. the problem is the area residents aren't the river oaks types. businesses like this cater to the majority of the residents in the area. if your last name is sarofim, then i could understand your frustration. :D

i went to one of those metro meetings involving the proposed development near harrisburg and eastwood and the comments were quite comical IMO. "we have to have a starbucks and a border's" LOL

Oh, was the nearby HEB on Harrisburg @ Adams (current AutoZone)? It closed due to Gulfgate? Wow.

Harrisburg @ Lockwood may not be too far out of the question for a Starbucks. Liu already seems to have a Ross and CVS located at his site. After all, a rather large Starbucks sits on the North Loop feeder near Shepherd and another is at 249 and Antoine (a newer area, but not necessarily the best area, IMO), and one is also coming to the Gulf Freeway southbound feeder near the Almeda-Genoa Wal-Mart and the northbound feeder at Monroe. Throw in the Starbucks saturation strategy and voila, Harrisburg is suddenly a good place for one--especially along transit.

Harrisburg @ Lockwood may not be too far out of the question for a Starbucks. Liu already seems to have a Ross and CVS located at his site. After all, a rather large Starbucks sits on the North Loop feeder near Shepherd and another is at 249 and Antoine (a newer area, but not necessarily the best area, IMO), and one is also coming to the Gulf Freeway southbound feeder near the Almeda-Genoa Wal-Mart and the northbound feeder at Monroe. Throw in the Starbucks saturation strategy and voila, Harrisburg is suddenly a good place for one--especially along transit.

if having a starbucks improves someone's quality of life....go for it! i'll start listening for "estarbucks" next time i'm @ a taqueria over there

The trains gave employment for many Eastwood/EE residents. Hubby's Dad being one of them. The train horns can be annoying to us, but to many, the sound is very emotional as so many family members made their living on the RR. There was Round House located at McKinney & Milby within easy walking distance of Eastwood/EE. Trains repaired there. Lots of railroad history in the East End.

Regarding parking for Buff Stadium...Hubby says he remembers parking all around the stadium, next door at what is now Magnolia House & across Cullen behind Prince's & probably where Chrismatic Church now stands. I remember going to one of the last games @ Buff Stadium, but don't remember where we parked. We may have walked from in-law's house.

It's funny when your inside Fingers Furniture break room where the baseball memorabilia is, as you read the plaques behind the glass, your actually standing on what was the pitchers mound of Buff Stadium.

Great discussion of this, but it's not a break room. It's a small museum put there by the founder of the Finger Furniture chain when he built that store where Buff Stadium used to be. He put it there for the public and the store customers, not the employees.

When he bought the stadium and the property, Sammy Finger -- a life long baseball fan -- promised to do something to remember the Houston Buffs and their stadium, so he put his Finger's Baseball Museum in the center of the store directly over the spot of home plate. In fact, the home plate that's in the museum floor is the actual home plate from the stadium, and I've heard ever since the store opened that it marks the actual spot where it was located.

I said it's not a break room because it wasn't intended to be one, but it is true that some employees go there for their breaks -- the ones who don't smoke. Smokers have to go somewhere else.

Oh......... don't get me started on the shotgun kroge's, as we call it.

Shotgun Kroge's has a nice ring to it, but how about some alliteration? Krappy Kroger just rolls off the tongue! I bought some expired yogurt there this morning, actually...

It's a miracle, I mean a living miracle that Mandola's Sandwiche Shop is still on that corner after all these years. The lady that was the manager at Prince's still works there (another miracle). :wacko: Rainbow factory has either moved or have shifted business away from here. We would always see the workers walking outside in the white uniforms & hats. Like Pillsbury doboy and dogirls. Its very quiet now.

There is that horrible ravaged run down little shoppping center opposite side next to tracks. When they built brand new around 1983 it was very nice and kept up. After the 90's came around the store had been robbed numerous times, became hobo heaven and basically become a 5 & dime dump. The middleEastern dudes said to hell with this and split the area. Its now a boarded up eyesore. Crater Houston, please.

Sure miss the aroma of Rainbow bread being fresh cooked. :(

and as for that worn out Kroger, well like Ms Bette Davis used to say...What a dump!

Archived