Cullen Blvd. At I-45

It's a miracle, I mean a living miracle that Mandola's Sandwiche Shop is still on that corner after all these years. The lady that was the manager at Prince's still works there (another miracle). :wacko: Rainbow factory has either moved or have shifted business away from here. We would always see the workers walking outside in the white uniforms & hats. Like Pillsbury doboy and dogirls. Its very quiet now.

There is that horrible ravaged run down little shoppping center opposite side next to tracks. When they built brand new around 1983 it was very nice and kept up. After the 90's came around the store had been robbed numerous times, became hobo heaven and basically become a 5 & dime dump. The middleEastern dudes said to hell with this and split the area. Its now a boarded up eyesore. Crater Houston, please.

Sure miss the aroma of Rainbow bread being fresh cooked. :(

and as for that worn out Kroger, well like Ms Bette Davis used to say...What a dump!

I'm with you on the stupid shopping center. Like someone said in another thread--it's amazing as to what gets demolished in Houston and what doesn't. This thing has gotta be approaching nuisance level and grounds for demolition (come to think of it, I saw a Public Works truck there a few days ago). Maybe this is a job for the 311 line??

Regarding the bakery, I have smelled baking bread in the area recently (unless I was hallucinating!) from the "Leeland Bakery" building. I'm assuming this is ex-Rainbow??

I'm with you on the stupid shopping center. Like someone said in another thread--it's amazing as to what gets demolished in Houston and what doesn't. This thing has gotta be approaching nuisance level and grounds for demolition (come to think of it, I saw a Public Works truck there a few days ago). Maybe this is a job for the 311 line??

Regarding the bakery, I have smelled baking bread in the area recently (unless I was hallucinating!) from the "Leeland Bakery" building. I'm assuming this is ex-Rainbow??

Correct, its the former Rainbow building on that corner. Just an FYI, the little village I call it neighborhood farther east from the old Rainbow factory is another forgotten beautiful quite nabe in Near East End. I am talking about the area directly behind former Foley's warehouse shipping and recieving area. Consists of maybe about 6 rows of streets all together. Many of these homes are in excellent shape considering the era built. This is a prime example of what our area looked like in its orginal state. That is before all the shoddy remuddles began around Broadmoor/Lombardy areas in the mid 80's. I knew several kids we used to hang out with in that area I speak of. I remember how untouched the area seemed and just plain quiet. Younger people wouldnt beleive but most of the residents had maids and grounds were properly maintained by professional gardeners/landscapers as recent as the mid 70's. Our elderly neighbor over on Munger had her maid until the 80's by then I guess it became outdated or out of fashion to have a regular maid. Just another memory of old Near East End I guess.

Anyway, most of those homes are just magnificent directy (behind Foley's shipping area). Before the new Cage Elementary was next door it was all open green fields and wooded farther towards the Gulf Frwy. We used to fly kites there. Good old days!

I keep forgetting to provide an update on that nasty shell of a strip center catty-corner Mandola's......we've got a new Neighborhood Protection guy and this dude is a ticket nazi. He's been hammering away at the shopping center. I can't remember how many he said he's written--maybe 15-20 citations, and when you add up the fines plus court costs, the owners are well over 5 figures in fines. We'll see if it helps. At least he's making the effort, very visible in the community.

My understanding is that these fines all go back the general fund. True? It would be cool if revenue from code violation fines stayed local. It could go a long way into helping turn neighborhoods around.

I keep forgetting to take a picture of the demolished area.

Any info on this place? It's on the way around if you take the shortcut around the train

The only way I know of to avoid the train once its passing is if you are headed north and see the arms down in front of you, then turn left towards back of Fingers to that scary old forgotten warehouse area with several streets with OLD houses.

If this is the area you speak of its not even considered Eastwood at all, just the place you dont want to be around. Ok, skid row. plain and simple.

Now if you turn another right (after realizing your in helltown) and meet Leeland there is another BEAUTIFUL old 2 story house on that corner. It too has been abandoned and locked up for decades. Needs paint as bad as the one across from Lantrip School. I always wanted to buy and move to my property as it appears in mint original circa 1910? era condition. Has a big sweeping porch with original columns and has been kept ok I think because it is sandwiched between close by bldgs.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets bulldozed. Houston seems hell bent on self destruction or at least on its historical remaining structures. :angry:

So how historical can we get the bombed out shopping center on Cullen designated? Maybe that'll pave the way to its demise! >:)

Now thats clever thinking!

We could make-up true :blush: testimonials of some famous person/s shopping there on a regular basis or something. Mayor could proclaim as holy land or something to that effect?

On the other hand it could backfire and the ruins stand for next century or 2 because of our well intended hoax! Become a tourist destination for the city? Give guided tours, etc.

lol :lol:

• 1 month later...
A bulldozer has been out pushing some dirt around for the last couple days. It's probably nothing, but one can always hope, right?

It would be great if there were some kind of mandatory law that says that before building anything new, developer must check area for anything possibility of finding anything like relics buried underneath. I mean in this case its right next to a RR track thats been there for maybe 80 plus years. In early days of the city trains may have just tossed interesting items off as it passed. Sounds far fetched but its been known to happen. If this developer starts building immediately, theres no telling what lies in that spot as we speak. What if they found a cannon or cannon balls, etc. Just a hunch. I'm just big on excavating things of the past. When Galveston 1900 storm happened, the debris was just hauled away and buried forever. Burns me up to think of all the relics that lie under tons of sand over there. :angry2: Even after the 1906 San Francisco quake/fire all debris was hauled away by trains/horses to waters edge and buried forever. Arghhh!

I have strayed but you see where I am going with this. Excavate before rebuilding Houston! :)

Try to picture a Walmart in that spot? Dreaming I know.

• 1 month later...

Strange - this property is listed as having a structure on it.

http://www.commgate.com/index.cfm?pagename...m&ln=155782

I agree with anyone who wants to see a grocery store, townhomes or something decent and residential-oriented here. Actually I'd love to just see a whole bunch of trees here, but I know that'll never happen. Anybody have a spare 7 mil lying around? ;)

danax, let me know if I can help at all with your idea about doing something about the RR xings in Eastwood. I'm a new East-ender, but a native Houstonian. I think just getting the area designated a quiet zone would be sufficient, but if you wanted to go the under/overpass route, I would say overpass for sure - to avoid the underpass rainy day water pit scenario like where Ernestine meets 45.

• 3 months later...

I agree with anyone who wants to see a grocery store, townhomes or something decent and residential-oriented here. Actually I'd love to just see a whole bunch of trees here, but I know that'll never happen. Anybody have a spare 7 mil lying around? ;)

danax, let me know if I can help at all with your idea about doing something about the RR xings in Eastwood. I'm a new East-ender, but a native Houstonian. I think just getting the area designated a quiet zone would be sufficient, but if you wanted to go the under/overpass route, I would say overpass for sure - to avoid the underpass rainy day water pit scenario like where Ernestine meets 45.

I have a question. Someone just told me that the Finger Furniture on I-45 & Cullen is being closed and the owners are trying to sell the land/building to Costco. Has anyone else heard this? Also, the Wesco/Reily Electrical Supply on Cullen Blvd is being vacated and will be, most likely, demolished. It was suggested that a mixed used condo/retail development like seen in Midtown may be developed where Wesco is now. Has anyone heard anything about this? Thanks.

danax has left the building!

I have a question. Someone just told me that the Finger Furniture on I-45 & Cullen is being closed and the owners are trying to sell the land/building to Costco. Has anyone else heard this? Also, the Wesco/Reily Electrical Supply on Cullen Blvd is being vacated and will be, most likely, demolished. It was suggested that a mixed used condo/retail development like seen in Midtown may be developed where Wesco is now. Has anyone heard anything about this? Thanks.

This article from 5/07 leads me to believe that Fingers is here to stay. Maybe they will update the exterior and add some landscaping. It's a depressing drive from 45 to Leeland!

On top of the new stores, Finger soon will expand its largest store and former headquarters on Houston

This article from 5/07 leads me to believe that Fingers is here to stay. Maybe they will update the exterior and add some landscaping. It's a depressing drive from 45 to Leeland!

On top of the new stores, Finger soon will expand its largest store and former headquarters on Houston

I just hope they don't try anything funny like replacing their classic signage.

That I do agree with. I would like to see some funds go toward replacing the burned out blinky-lights. When I get caught at that light I sometimes attempt to count how many are actually working versus burned out. Yes, it's a long light.

Apparently Finger's changed thier minds about moving to Sugarland or where ever it was. They did a campaign about "selling and moving away sales" for about a month. Change of heart it seems. So they are here to stay which makes better sense with all the new residents moving in (cross our fingers) Hey! another pun! Sounds like a good promo one-liner.

That place needs major serious updated appearance if it's to hang around. From the outside it still looks like 1969. They need to stop selling that particle board junk too. They always rivaled Levitz Furniture which was another very innovative modern style furniture store. Everyone misses them.

danax has left the building!

so I've heard! bummer about that. hope he comes back.

yeah let's doze it. :wacko:

maybe not doze, but clean up a little. not just for the benefit of our eyes, but I'm sure it would help their business too. just based on the look of their building I had guessed that they were going out of business (or that they only sold 60s style furniture :P).

btw, does that ginormous parking lot of theirs ever fill up all the way? if not, would be nice of them to turn some of it into green space to help beautify the area. i know, i know - then they'd have to do upkeep, etc, but hey - that's what being a good corporate resident is all about!

just based on the look of their building I had guessed that they were going out of business (or that they only sold 60s style furniture :P).

guess you're not a fan of mid century buildings.

btw, does that ginormous parking lot of theirs ever fill up all the way? if not, would be nice of them to turn some of it into green space to help beautify the area. i know, i know - then they'd have to do upkeep, etc, but hey - that's what being a good corporate resident is all about!

it fills up completely some weekends.

guess you're not a fan of mid century buildings.

not a big fan, no, but I respect mid century architecture. I do think that a redesign would help their business. But if they don't do that, at least they can replace the light bulbs in the sign, maintain the building, etc.

it fills up completely some weekends.

ah - nevermind then.

I wonder if any U of H alumni can remember the name of the bar that was just next door to Finger's.

Was open for ages and still had that late 1950's decor. I went on a few ocassions as we knew the waitress around 1983? It finally closed and stayed vacant for about 8 years then was remodeled and is now whatever it now is. Student room and board place?

The Charismatic Center on the corner sure is growing in crowds. Perhaps they have interest in expansion next door?

1.jpg

If only Prince's Drive In on that corner would have hung around a little longer, but who could have known? Sure could use one of their delicious burgers about now. :rolleyes:

The Charismatic Center on the corner sure is growing in crowds. Perhaps they have interest in expansion next door?

they have expanded to other parts of houston. The priests run Queen of Peace and have recently taken over Mt. Carmel.

• 2 weeks later...
they have expanded to other parts of houston. The priests run Queen of Peace and have recently taken over Mt. Carmel.

I was sad to hear the Carmelites skipped town. They ran a good school and parish for years. The Carmelites even helped out at our parish in League City when I was in high school. I was encouraged by one of their priests to accompany several Mt. Carmel high schoolers on a trip to Europe my senior year. It was a great experince. I kind of feel like a semi Mt. Carmel alumni myself since then.

Anyway, back to the Finger property. I've heard stories from some of my interior design co-workers that the late Bobby Finger was quite the ladies man.

Actually, its the vacant (recently cleared lot) across the street original post was discussing.

Could anyone imagine a large grocery store there? Everyone would benefit from it.

Oh, the bar next to Finger's is Magnolia Glen now. Sounds more like a retirement home name right? :)

Oh, the bar next to Finger's is Magnolia Glen now. Sounds more like a retirement home name right? :)

That's because it is. There is currently an initiative underway to convert it into a transitional living facility of sorts. It's been covered at East End Mgmt District meetings, and I think maybe the supergroup. I think I'll email James Rodriquez' office for more info on the project.

That's because it is. There is currently an initiative underway to convert it into a transitional living facility of sorts.

Thats what I knew I heard (or read) a long time ago. I often wonder why I do not see any people in wheel chairs or walkers? I guess they feel safer inside or in the back. This is actually one of the best things that has ever happened to that area. I wish there was a nice little park for the residents to walk around in or sit under a tree. The area is just too risky I guess. In fact, I bet some of them go to that Charismatic Center?

Back to the empty lot. Is there any way to check to see if there are any plans or project? :)

• The title was changed to Cullen Blvd. At I-45

Archived