Midtown Real Estate

Globalarb

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"City council today passed a civility ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to sleep on public sidewalks or panhandle. Property owners in Midtown filed the petition because they say they're tired of seeing people sleeping on their front door steps. "

Link to abc 13 story

The sweep continues... I predict the next stop, East downtown (second ward)

Probably so. Also south to the Med Center, west to Neartown/Montrose, and the Near Northside :)

This morning I encountered some pathetic tattered creature sleeping behind the bushes on Bagby, just south of Westheimer. Didn't even look at him, but he was still screaming unintelligible gibberish as I rounded the corner. Perhaps he was annoyed at having to move his bedroom over a couple of blocks?

not so fast...the civility ordinance may have been passed...but i still see bums sleeping on newly installed benches in midtown.  downtown is horrendous still...

this problem can't be addressed by packing them up and moving them along...you can't cure a systemic disease with medication that only treats symptons...

$0.02

I agree. I've seen no improvement whatsoever. Webster between Austin and San Jacinto has become a bum haven for crack heads and junkies. Obviously, under the Pierce elevated, it has become it's own Ward.

Also...good to be back to the board! I didn't realize it crashed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been stuggling with this question lately . . . especially after the completion of The Calais apartments. I can't decide what is better, bad architecture or vacant, weed-filled lots. I must applaud the designer and developers of the Calais for trying something "different." . . . but it could have been so much better. One obvious goof in the project - they could have made the archway into a covered arcade - with commercial space underneath! Then it would have lived up to the billing as Midtown's "French Quarter." As it stands, you see unsightly burglar bars and the underside of cars in the parking garage. But I digress . . .back to my point.

Pro: Architecture (good or bad) brings in tax money for the district.

Con: Fugly archtecture is . . .well, FUGLY!

Pro: Fills in the rat-infested, weed-filled lots.

Con: Harder to get rid of than a vacant lot.

Pro: Increases urban density.

Con: Increases urban density with pedestrian-hostile environment (makes the area un-livable, un-friendly) encourages people to get in their car and get away from that location.

Which is the lesser of two evils?

What do you people think?

Come on. Fugly buildings are always better than an empty lot. Sure, Calias could have been built better. But it's MUCH better than a lot filled with debris and trash. At least Fugly buildings demonstrate SOME type of vibrancy and interest in the core.

And MidtownCoog, I agree about the pocket parks, but keep this in mind: you need a neighborhood surrounding a park to make it viable and useable. That's why I'm against the McGowen Green and favor an apt complex in addition to a small park.

Well, I'm sure a few other apartments will come up eventually and then SOMEONE will come up with an idea of ground level retail to lure in not only THEIR tenants, but the tenants from the surrounding communities AND be able to make a little money from it to boot!

Ricco

couldn't the parks dept purchase a lot or two before prices get higher? maybe the midtown TIRZ could purchase park land in the area.

in fact, a one block park for every 9 blocks would be a great ratio. no chance of that happening though. <_<

it is pretty good. my wife and i went there a few weekends ago. the prices are typical with places of this nature, and the ice cream is really good. we'd definitely go back.

if you guys really like ice-cream and chocolate...go to the Chocolate Bar on Alabama between Montrose and Shepherd. REALLY GOOD!

it is pretty good.  my wife and i went there a few weekends ago.  the prices are typical with places of this nature, and the ice cream is really good.  we'd definitely go back.

if you guys really like ice-cream and chocolate...go to the Chocolate Bar on Alabama between Montrose and Shepherd.  REALLY GOOD!

The Chocolate Bar is excellent ..very yummy

Cold stone is good-only if you are going to go all out. If you want a regular scoop of vanillar, or chocolate, go for the slightly cheaper Marble Slab. If you want a fudge-vanilla-strawberry-marshmallow-babana-creme mix, then go to COld Stone.