Slowly but surely

texasdago

First off, yes... I'll get the Memorial Bend web page back up. I've had a million competing priorities and sometimes certain things have to be placed on the back burner.

Also, I can't find my Space City Mod archives... anywhere... nothing. So, I'm going to slowly but surely create a blog to catalog houses in Houston. I've only put 4 entries on the page but this will give you an idea of the plan... expect it to take a while (may as well manage expectations)

http://spacecitymod.blogspot.com/

Yes!!!

Space City looks even better than before. Nice to have space for all the extra photos.

The first thing to do when the Memorial Bend site comes back is to check all the houses to see if any are like 8715 McAvoy, the mod open house from last week.

Michael and sevfiv, you have inspired me. I have a lot of photos that don't make it to houstonmod.org so I'll start blogging and putting them up here:

http://modernhouston.blogspot.com/

Jason

While I really respect all the hard work you did,in all honesty the majority of these houses are so boring.Not very much imagination involved. What is this new fASCINATION with mod,I'M serious I don't get it.

While I really respect all the hard work you did,in all honesty the majority of these houses are so boring.Not very much imagination involved. What is this new fASCINATION with mod,I'M serious I don't get it.

Everyone has different preferences. I"m not sure there is a new fascination but rather it is new to you and it just isn't your style. I can tell you that i still have people ask about why i bought an old house vs a new one. I personally think many of the newer homes are boring.

For me, I kid you not, two and a half years ago, I just wanted a house in Houston (not the burbs) with a lot of glass and I knew about what I wanted to pay for it. It was that desire that led me into the whole world of modern and Houston's moderns specifically. I didn't know any architects names, but liked the idea of owning a house with a well known architect behind it. After that, I discovered several very innovative Houston based architects from about 50 years ago, as well as architects around the US from that era that really fascinated me. One of them happened to be the architect of my favorite building when I was a kid, Pennzoil Place. Then I found out that some of the Houston architects knew and learned from Philip Johnson and it really became fascinating for me. I realized that they don't make 'em like this any more. A lot of the houses I am most interested were custom houses, but I also like the ones like in Memorial Bend that were often "on spec" ranch houses with a lot of modern flair to them, or modern for the masses like you find in California's Eichler. Houses of this era used space efficicently. Today's homes don't do it as well, or they are ugly and all the same in my opinion.

There's a bit of nostalgia and sense of history to it, and there's also a desire to get back to a craftsmanship that you don't see in houses these days. I know my house is well built. Friends of mine live in new houses. They are not all that bad, but not great either. I like to visit them, and they are new and lower maintenance than my house. But with my house there's really a feeling of accomplishment. You would get that feeling from restoring a craftsman too, but the craftsman wouldn't have the glass walls and links to Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson, Howard Barnstone, Hugo Neuhaus, Harwood Taylor, and Anderson Todd that my house has and that the Memorial Bend houses have too. Now if you can go to the Farnsworth House, the Glass House, the de Menil House, the Gordon House, the Frame House, the Owsley House, and even the Caudill House in Memorial Bend and they don't move you, then I guess we just don't have the same sense of style and we can agree to disagree.

The houses Michael is documenting are important, especially because there are so many moderns or at least modern influenced ranches in a small area, and they are extremely threatened as far as I'm concerned. Maybe a lot of people won't ever "get it" and it will get worse for the neighborhood and then the houses will be gone. Of course this is also his neighborhood and all the more reason to take pride in the homes.

I lived in an 1870 house for several years with my parents. I actually think my mom would have disliked my house, but she'd love that I'm happy in it and that I have a sense of pride in my home and its decor. My dad would love that the architect got his masters at A&M and he'd enjoy sitting on my strange and less than comfortable (to him) sofa to watch the bamboo grow from inside.

One more thing, a lot of modern houses like are intentionally deceptive from the facade. They are private from the front and their flash is often on the back of the house. I have a great sense of anticipation when going into a mod for the first time, just wondering what is going to present itself.

Jason

Everyone has different preferences. I"m not sure there is a new fascination but rather it is new to you and it just isn't your style. I can tell you that i still have people ask about why i bought an old house vs a new one. I personally think many of the newer homes are boring.

Dude I live in a old house also.Alot of the newer homes are very boring. The mod style is not my thing you are so right about that.However,the style is not new to me at all.My dad was a architect and I was exposed to every style of homes and businesses until he passed away in March of 1991.The last time I saw my Dad alive he took me on another one of his architect tours.I'm not complaining I loved it. He was like coolest Dad ever.I'm not just saying that because he was my Dad,all my friends said the same thing. My dad liked mods also,but even when I was a kid I just really didn't care for them that much.I think it's the flat roof thing.

For me, I kid you not, two and a half years ago, I just wanted a house in Houston (not the burbs) with a lot of glass and I knew about what I wanted to pay for it. It was that desire that led me into the whole world of modern and Houston's moderns specifically. I didn't know any architects names, but liked the idea of owning a house with a well known architect behind it. After that, I discovered several very innovative Houston based architects from about 50 years ago, as well as architects around the US from that era that really fascinated me. One of them happened to be the architect of my favorite building when I was a kid, Pennzoil Place. Then I found out that some of the Houston architects knew and learned from Philip Johnson and it really became fascinating for me. I realized that they don't make 'em like this any more. A lot of the houses I am most interested were custom houses, but I also like the ones like in Memorial Bend that were often "on spec" ranch houses with a lot of modern flair to them, or modern for the masses like you find in California's Eichler. Houses of this era used space efficicently. Today's homes don't do it as well, or they are ugly and all the same in my opinion.

There's a bit of nostalgia and sense of history to it, and there's also a desire to get back to a craftsmanship that you don't see in houses these days. I know my house is well built. Friends of mine live in new houses. They are not all that bad, but not great either. I like to visit them, and they are new and lower maintenance than my house. But with my house there's really a feeling of accomplishment. You would get that feeling from restoring a craftsman too, but the craftsman wouldn't have the glass walls and links to Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson, Howard Barnstone, Hugo Neuhaus, Harwood Taylor, and Anderson Todd that my house has and that the Memorial Bend houses have too. Now if you can go to the Farnsworth House, the Glass House, the de Menil House, the Gordon House, the Frame House, the Owsley House, and even the Caudill House in Memorial Bend and they don't move you, then I guess we just don't have the same sense of style and we can agree to disagree.

The houses Michael is documenting are important, especially because there are so many moderns or at least modern influenced ranches in a small area, and they are extremely threatened as far as I'm concerned. Maybe a lot of people won't ever "get it" and it will get worse for the neighborhood and then the houses will be gone. Of course this is also his neighborhood and all the more reason to take pride in the homes.

I lived in an 1870 house for several years with my parents. I actually think my mom would have disliked my house, but she'd love that I'm happy in it and that I have a sense of pride in my home and its decor. My dad would love that the architect got his masters at A&M and he'd enjoy sitting on my strange and less than comfortable (to him) sofa to watch the bamboo grow from inside.

One more thing, a lot of modern houses like are intentionally deceptive from the facade. They are private from the front and their flash is often on the back of the house. I have a great sense of anticipation when going into a mod for the first time, just wondering what is going to present itself.

Jason

The fascination is not new at all. It started to re-surface in the mid 90's, and here in Houston, individuals were really back into mid-century modern in the late 90's. I'll agree with you that many of them are boring. Some of them are just down right bad. But if you look into any category or style, such as mediterranean, you will see really bad and really good. Don't even get me started on the faux French here in Houston, I've seen this done well but more often not. But many of the moderns are so very good...brilliant, actually. I definitely disagree with you saying that no imagination is involved. I don't mind you disliking it, but saying that they have no imagination just means that you aren't completely informed about the subject. The idea of using planes, lines, shape, and voids is just as inventive and imaginative as using ornamentation, often times more so. A great deal of modern detail involves taking something familiar, like nature, and abstracting the form. You really need to go visit the Schindler house in Los Angeles, or even just take a drive down Tiel Way here in Houston (see the Mackie/Kamraths.) You'll see that while they might not be of your taste, that what they have done certainly involves imagination.The real deal is that liking good architecture includes the appreciation of other styles. I tend to focus more on modern, but take me to a 1930's Tudor and I'm just as much in awe. That's what it's like to really love design.
One more thing, a lot of modern houses like are intentionally deceptive from the facade. They are private from the front and their flash is often on the back of the house. I have a great sense of anticipation when going into a mod for the first time, just wondering what is going to present itself.Jason
I think this is a great point. The "scream" house on Glenview is the best example of this that I can think of in Houston. A simple, white curved wall, with a complicated curvilinear glass and steel structure lies behind the wall.

One more thing, a lot of modern houses like are intentionally deceptive from the facade. They are private from the front and their flash is often on the back of the house.

We specifically looked for a house like that. We eventually found one. We love it. It's as plain in front as there probably is. It's nothing more than a brick wall (flat roof) with a single break in it - a gated entrance into an atrium. I have a thread about it in another section, but no photo yet. As soon as I get one, maybe you guys will be able to tell me something about it.

I'll definitely try, but probably not as much as we would if you were not part of the "evil empire". :)

I went to my first Yankee game on our NYC vacation and I really wanted to root for them, but couldn't bring myself to do it. At least I got to see Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR.

Jason

We specifically looked for a house like that. We eventually found one. We love it. It's as plain in front as there probably is. It's nothing more than a brick wall (flat roof) with a single break in it - a gated entrance into an atrium. I have a thread about it in another section, but no photo yet. As soon as I get one, maybe you guys will be able to tell me something about it.

I went to my first Yankee game on our NYC vacation and I really wanted to root for them, but couldn't bring myself to do it. At least I got to see Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR.

Jason

Thanks. I'll try to get a picture up soon.

You wouldn't quit following the Astros if you moved away from Houston would you?

That's quite a game you got to see, by the way.

A-Rod500th.jpg

At least you got to see the 500th.

Here's a really amatuer drawing I just did of my house, but it's actually a good representation of what it looks like from the street. I don't know what style it is because it doesn't seem to have one. Built in 1960. I have a picture at home.

Drawnhouse.jpg

POINT conceded. You and whoever it was that posted about mods really made me think more about it. You really explained it so precisely. My dad loved mods alot,but paitences was not his best suit.He was always so busy,and his time was always so limited[ENFORCED BY HIM] total workalcholic his idea of relaxing was reading ARCITHECTURAL Digest. I SWEAR,I like to joke around but on this I'M not.MY house from the street has curb appeal but not any architetural details that you would write home about. Somebody mentioned facades where you are surprised after entering a home. I totally have redone the inside of house,and have 2 outside patio areas that are so cool. Totally native plants and trees,my back yard looks like a park.I need to focus more on commonalities rather than differences in architecture. I already paid this house house in JAN.I'm in the process right now to buy another one,I JUST haven't found it yet. I'm focusing now on exterior details,I WILL have no problem changing the interior. DANG,I love it. IT'S kinda stressful sometimes because I want everything to be a certain way.I don't do it for a living,although I HAVE redone several peoples homes here in McALLEN. I don't really get into the furnishings or anything. THATis a very personal thing,and my tastes are so ecletic.I love picking out tiles and paint.

Off topic but...

You may already have donated them or you may have thrown them away, but if your father was an architect of any kind of importance and you don't want all his archives, then please have his archives donated to a library or University or something like that as opposed to just throwing them away if possible. You never know when someone might take an interest in his work!

Jason

POINT conceded. You and whoever it was that posted about mods really made me think more about it. You really explained it so precisely. My dad loved mods alot,but paitences was not his best suit.He was always so busy,and his time was always so limited[ENFORCED BY HIM] total workalcholic his idea of relaxing was reading ARCITHECTURAL Digest. I SWEAR,I like to joke around but on this I'M not.MY house from the street has curb appeal but not any architetural details that you would write home about. Somebody mentioned facades where you are surprised after entering a home. I totally have redone the inside of house,and have 2 outside patio areas that are so cool. Totally native plants and trees,my back yard looks like a park.I need to focus more on commonalities rather than differences in architecture. I already paid this house house in JAN.I'm in the process right now to buy another one,I JUST haven't found it yet. I'm focusing now on exterior details,I WILL have no problem changing the interior. DANG,I love it. IT'S kinda stressful sometimes because I want everything to be a certain way.I don't do it for a living,although I HAVE redone several peoples homes here in McALLEN. I don't really get into the furnishings or anything. THATis a very personal thing,and my tastes are so ecletic.I love picking out tiles and paint.

Off topic but...

You may already have donated them or you may have thrown them away, but if your father was an architect of any kind of importance and you don't want all his archives, then please have his archives donated to a library or University or something like that as opposed to just throwing them away if possible. You never know when someone might take an interest in his work!

Jason

My mom is still living and to be honest with you I'm not sure what she has in regards to Dad's blueprints.It surely is nice of you to make this suggestion. I would never throw anything away regarding him. This might sound strange or something to you,but my Mom gave me his stamp after he passed away. It's one of my treasured possesions.

At least you got to see the 500th.

Here's a really amatuer drawing I just did of my house, but it's actually a good representation of what it looks like from the street. I don't know what style it is because it doesn't seem to have one. Built in 1960. I have a picture at home.

Drawnhouse.jpg

Well, you have a very cool house. If it looks like your rendering, with a band of steel at the top along the roofline, your house can be classified as having Miesian influence. Is there exposed steel framing? Do you know who designed it? Could be Jenkins, Taylor, Barnstone, or maybe even Todd. I'd love to see photos!

Here's a photograph;

WestburyMod_1.jpg

Also, I mentioned before that there's a second house nearby that's very similar. Here is a photograph of it;

WestburyMod2.jpg

The two are very much alike. Living space on the right of the entrance, garage on the left. The only two noticeable differences are the placement of the garage doors (side vs front) and a slightly pitched roof on one of them.

The Traviata house was just behind my next-door-neighbor so, in a sense, I could see it from the backyard. It was a great house that had been abandoned for 3-4 years... a real shame. I should've salvaged what was left but I had no idea it was coming down until our house was shaking. First Floyd to get leveled.

The Traviata house was just behind my next-door-neighbor so, in a sense, I could see it from the backyard. It was a great house that had been abandoned for 3-4 years... a real shame. I should've salvaged what was left but I had no idea it was coming down until our house was shaking. First Floyd to get leveled.

Yeah I wish it could have been saved. They didn'traise those demo signs until after they started. The only interesting thing that they could put in there would be some kind of concrete and steel construction that embraces its proximity to the beltway... like the houston home in Dwell this month that looks over 59.

Archived