Hurricane Dean

PapillionWyngs

Tuesday night, Mom, 84 (familiar to those of you who read my posts), fell and hit her hip, head, shoulder and arm. She waits until last night to call attention to it, and her doctor told her to go to ER. I met her at St. John's, where they x-rayed her and pronounced no broken bones. She is/was in a lot of pain, but she could not be admitted - she didn't fit into hospital "criteria". I spent the night with her last night, taking care of her, but she spends her days alone (her choice - rememberr, I have the bi-polar, ADHD, learning disabled adopted son and I have been working for the last two months to get him evaluated and helped) she can afford full - time nursing - but she stays by herself, chancing a fall again. She says that she wants to die in that house (my Dad built it in 1945).

Well, last night the topic of the hurricaine came up and she said she couldn't go anywhere, no matter what category the storm will be, and could I stay with her????? She says that she is too sore to go anywhere, and she can't walk - forgot to mention that one. Even if we were best friends, I have a family, she lives RIGHT ON Sims Bayou, and the last evacuation, she was ordered to go.

Anyone have any ideas how bad this thing is going to be? Also, Sunday is the last day of option on the house we are buying - we haven't sold this one yet, can't till we move, so we could, potentially, lose two homes.

Ever felt that bad luck followed you around?????

PW

Pap, it is unfortunately WAAAAAYYYYY to early to tell where exactly it will hit. The current forecast models show straight lines towards southern tip of Texas, that is what I saw this morning on the news. We gotta wait until it gets into the Gulf to figure out the where and when. I would give her a coupel of vicadin then throw her over your shoulder, and into the car if it becomes necessary. Thank goodness she didn't break anything, somebody is watching over her.

Pap, it is unfortunately WAAAAAYYYYY to early to tell where exactly it will hit. The current forecast models show straight lines towards southern tip of Texas, that is what I saw this morning on the news. We gotta wait until it gets into the Gulf to figure out the where and when. I would give her a coupel of vicadin then throw her over your shoulder, and into the car if it becomes necessary. Thank goodness she didn't break anything, somebody is watching over her.

Funny - she takes vicodin!!!!

If you live in Katy, you probably shouldn't leave. I think Dean's gonna be big, so there won't be many places to flee to. Was anyone here for Hurricane Allen?

Allen was a dud for Houston. but it was a monster. i remember satellite photos where it took up the entire gulf

You're in a tough situation. Dealing with aging parents can be a monster. Fortunately ( I guess) my Mom went first and my Dad handled everything, and then he remarried, and his wife took care of him when he got ill. But I have lots of friends dealing with what you're going through. Let me know If I can help. I live on the west side of town.

You're in a tough situation. Dealing with aging parents can be a monster. Fortunately ( I guess) my Mom went first and my Dad handled everything, and then he remarried, and his wife took care of him when he got ill. But I have lots of friends dealing with what you're going through. Let me know If I can help. I live on the west side of town.

Thanks so much for the offer.

I've been told that there are nursing homes that will take patients on a short term basis. I am starting research on that in the morning. I am exhausted from staying up all night last night with her, and trying to find her a live-in companion the rest of the day.

I live in Clear Lake, she lives on Sims Bayou close to downtown.

Sorry, I actually meant TJones, who lives thereabouts.

Hopefully this doesn't keep going north. Northern Mexico and south Texas are sparsely populated. Almost no one lives in South Padre because of all the drunk college kids. The predicted track is similar to Allen, plus Dean and Allen both moved towards the GOM quickly. Allen was the scariest monster ever to approach Texas. It was bigger than Rita and had maximum sustained winds of 190 mph.

I've been told that there are nursing homes that will take patients on a short term basis. I am starting research on that in the morning. I am exhausted from staying up all night last night with her, and trying to find her a live-in companion the rest of the day.

I am worried about my mom too.

She is in Puerto Rico right now with her husband on her honeymoon.

She does not return until Sunday, and Hurricane Dean passed just south of her Saturday morning.

She is going to get the dirty side of the storm too.

Archived