Home At 9602 Moonlight Dr.

Willowisp

"Another poster mentioned the existence of construction documents... if these do indeed exist, they should be secured for copying or better yet, submission to a legitimate retainer of historic architectural documents...

I had the plans checked out for a while but turned them back in when I became consumed with my own Meyerland "ranch disaster".

Good news. I've made arrangements to secure the original construction plans for copying and scanning onto a disk. Photo documentation would be of much value as well (historic or contemporary) and hopefully someone will be able to step up to the plate on this.

Retarded question I know, but documenting the plans or the house? Depending on how much time we have, I can probably do the house at some point. I'd like to, at least.

Retarded question I know, but documenting the plans or the house? Depending on how much time we have, I can probably do the house at some point. I'd like to, at least.

I went by today and got some good shots. I'll try to post a few of them later. Some of them are way blown out, as I had to shoot almost directly into the sun. I still don't understand how they plan on tearing it down; the stacked stone walls look immovable.

"I still don't understand how they plan on tearing it down; the stacked stone walls look immovable."

All buildings want to come down, we hold them in place forcefully (i.e. structure). Once the key support elements are knocked out... it's over. So it actually will likely not take much.

I can't imagine that the current holder of the property will opt to renovate given what it would cost and the potential return. The ideal deal would be for an aficionado of high end mid-century modern to step up to the plate.

Most of those folk seem to be in California.

I've secured the plans and will have them digitized and saved onto a disk. Unfortunately the packet of original drawings only contained plans -- no elevations, sections, details, etc. I will check with MCIA to see if they have additional material on this house. Otherwise we'll have to do with this.

Plans are quite nicely drawn -- a bonus being the furniture plan.

Let's pull together to attempt to sway the owners position to demolish this masterpiece:

• A few years ago a Houston Chronicle piece was published concerning this house... does anyone on this forum possess a copy?
  • Does anyone know of any period pieces written on this house -- certainly it was published.
  • Gathering as much historical data would serve to bolster any attempt to save this extraordinary architectural work

We cannot let this one fall by the wayside and simply vanish -- this home is truly a gem of post-war modern and easily holds it's own in the pantheon of Contemporary masterpieces.

Let's pull together to attempt to sway the owners position to demolish this masterpiece:
  • A few years ago a Houston Chronicle piece was published concerning this house... does anyone on this forum possess a copy?
  • Does anyone know of any period pieces written on this house -- certainly it was published.
  • Gathering as much historical data would serve to bolster any attempt to save this extraordinary architectural work

We cannot let this one fall by the wayside and simply vanish -- this home is truly a gem of post-war modern and easily holds it's own in the pantheon of Contemporary masterpieces.

The current owner gives NO value to the structure. Trust me.

I haven't been inside it, but if it's 1/2 as nasty as I'm told, chances are it would cost as much to rehab it as he paid for the "lot". As far as I know this was the most expensive "lot" ever purchased in Meyerland by a long shot and no one in their right mind would pay even more for it (so the current owner wouldn't have to take a loss), and THEN restore it.

I think the communities' efforts are betted used to track down houses like this one that are in the state this one has been in for the last 5 years and rescue them from the owners before they become so neglected.

my .02

flipper

"The current owner gives NO value to the structure. Trust me."

Agreed... based on information I've received.

I" haven't been inside it, but if it's 1/2 as nasty as I'm told, chances are it would cost as much to rehab it as he paid for the "lot". "

A-n-d that would qualify for the 100% property tax break if the home was granted landmark status -- should those efforts be made with an agreeable owner.

"As far as I know this was the most expensive "lot" ever purchased in Meyerland by a long shot and no one in their right mind would pay even more for it (so the current owner wouldn't have to take a loss), and THEN restore it."

Granit Properties is the current owner (correct?) and they certainly possess deep pockets. Perhaps, they could actually do the right thing and save this property -- I know, what are the odds. But, there is a buyer out there for everything -- think ebay -- and real estate is no different... well, except it cost a lot more than used -- but still excellent condition -- Tupperware.

"I think the communities' efforts are betted used to track down houses like this one that are in the state this one has been in for the last 5 years and rescue them from the owners before they become so neglected."

Agreed... but what are the odds that will happen (probably about the same as efforts to save this one will be). Still, there are few houses as significant as this (as I see it) so it's worth a shot.

Or we could spend our time discussing ad nauseum what color to paint our MCM front door.

C'mon flipper, how about some support here.

Here is the archived version of the 2003 Chronicle story - I'll try to get a copy from microform, too:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2003_3652959

Bob Cohen, 85, designed and built boats, banks and other commercial structures in his lifetime, but it's his house that defines his accomplishments.

"It's my baby," he says, lovingly, as he stands in the rotunda that includes a curving living room with a bar and a kitchen behind a Brazilian rosewood wall that stops far short of the center skylight 16 feet overhead.

"Sometimes people ask if this room rotates, and I say, `No, the rest of the house rotates around it.' "

C'mon flipper, how about some support here.

I hear ya' domus, trust me I'd like to see this house restored. I just know this is more than likely a dead lead. Most of my business is figuring out which leads are worth pursuing, and this one doesn't pass the test.

flipper

Hey, my house didn't pass your (or anyone else's) test either!

This house doesn't pass any tests any more. It should have been saved 2 years ago by its previous owner, a man who owns million dollar cars and would have been the perfect person to save it if he cared 1/10th as much about houses as he does cars.

But that's all the past. I don't know what us as preservationists were supposed to do for the 2 years it sat empty. Call O'Quinn and beg him to sell it to someone who wanted to save it? Who was that supposed to be? Someone who could see if it passed tests or someone who would actually buy it to live in it themselves? Someone with a lot of money to spend that didn't expect to ever get it back? Does any of us know that person?

2 years ago when it was empty, RPS and I went there and he left his card just in case. If O'Quinn had called him and hired him as a realtor maybe we wouldn't be having this thread, who knows...

Jason

I hear ya' domus, trust me I'd like to see this house restored. I just know this is more than likely a dead lead. Most of my business is figuring out which leads are worth pursuing, and this one doesn't pass the test.

flipper

"Hey, my house didn't pass your (or anyone else's) test either!"

I'm not speaking for "flipper" but I realize the intent of the post is to convey the purely business end of the matter. Conservatively speaking (without any means to conduct a due diligence review other than in a limited empirical manner) I would say that 500K will be needed to properly restore this home -- that is a Conservative number as it said. Is there a buyer willing to spend that much once the purchase price is negotiated? Propably... just have to find that person. Easier said than done.

"This house doesn't pass any tests any more. It should have been saved 2 years ago by its previous owner, a man who owns million dollar cars and would have been the perfect person to save it if he cared 1/10th as much about houses as he does cars."

A question of priorities I guess. In this case, a misplaced priority.

"I don't know what us as preservationists were supposed to do for the 2 years it sat empty."

This is an topic in and of itself.

"2 years ago when it was empty, RPS and I went there and he left his card just in case. If O'Quinn had called him and hired him as a realtor maybe we wouldn't be having this thread, who knows..."

Too bad we can't get a hold of Mr. Peabody with his Way-back Machine, but we are at where we're at. So let's see what can be done now... is it too late? Maybe. But stirring things up on this home and preservation/un-checked development is better than snapping images of a demolished building.

This one is calling out to us... question is, can you hear it?

Here is some contact information for Granit Builders, LLC:

MARVIN GRANIT

7847 PORTAL

HOUSTON , TX 77071

http://www.granitbuilders.com/

mgranit@granitbuilders.com

Phone: 713.776.9096

Fax: 713.776.9096

and a picture of a project:

6bwuqz9.jpg

I feel my gorge rising...

Does anyone think that this brand of 'architecture' will ever have defenders?

Just plain nasty.

"Does anyone think that this brand of 'architecture' will ever have defenders?"

It will never have defenders or advocates... and it doesn't matter how much time elapses. It will always be poorly conceived, poorly designed and and unfortunate evolutionary branch. What's so disturbing about it is the total lack of substance or meaning. It merely exists as a place to house humans. Nothing more.

I guess the real crime is that people consider this as a desirable condition... a higher attainment. And while it may serve as such, it is really only an embellished container with marketing image serving as substance.

These sort of homes equate to nothing. Absolutely nothing. And the funny thing is... they never will.

Ever.

"Just to summarize... What would the mod community like the current owner to do with the house, other than not tear it down?"

Good question. The ideal situation would be that a buyer would purchase the home from Granit with the intent to preserve the home as a world-class, post-war home design. The odds of this scenario occurring are slim at best

...and it doesn't even do that very well. <_<

I thought the big selling point for McMansions was luxury amenities and large room sizes. That plus the ability to move in right away without major repairs or renovations. To people who don't care about architectural design very much or who want something that looks better than the suburban tract house they grew up in, that is an unbeatable combination and I daresay the buyers of those houses think they house their families very well.

"Just to summarize... What would the mod community like the current owner to do with the house, other than not tear it down?"

Good question. The ideal situation would be that a buyer would purchase the home from Granit with the intent to preserve the home as a world-class, post-war home design. The odds of this scenario occurring are slim at best

I thought the big selling point for McMansions was luxury amenities and large room sizes. That plus the ability to move in right away without major repairs or renovations. To people who don't care about architectural design very much or who want something that looks better than the suburban tract house they grew up in, that is an unbeatable combination and I daresay the buyers of those houses think they house their families very well.

It is really varied, and depends on the builder and designer. I have walked through many new builder homes during construction, and some have many tiny rooms, some don't. Some have what I thought were well laid-out floorplans, most don't. Someone mentioned in another thread about builders buying designs from a handful of people which would explain - but not excuse - the homogeneity of the exteriors and interiors. The way these things sell (and the amount they sell for) does shed light on the fact that people are willing to pay a lot for spec homes. The most recent I saw was about 4,000 square foot home with about four small bedrooms crammed upstairs and the master bed/bath on the first level. They seemed like little cubbyholes, but I guess if you have several small children, the size would not matter. I think the builder was Damon Homes - I am not familiar with them, but I wasn't impressed with the construction quality or the finishes. This was about a 850k house, and if I were pay that much for a home, I would expect a lot more. That being said, the house was sold before it was even finished.

Back to Moonlight, though. I don't know if this was mentioned already, but does anyone know about what Granit paid for the property? (appraisal = $523,000)

How did it go from someone's beloved "baby" to unsalvageable in, what, four years? What were the conditions that allowed the mold to become such a problem? Leaks? Flood? Like I said earlier, in Galveston people routinely restore houses in much worse shape than this. Unfortunately, the land value is what is killing this deal.I'm sorry to be so contentious today <_< but, as much as I'd like to see the house preserved and as interesting as I think it is, I'm not sure I'd call it a world-class, post-war home design. I'd call it a quirky house that a quirky architect built for himself. I would only be willing to consider maybe three mod houses in Houston "world-class." The late lamented Mitchell house, the Menil house, and the Maher house. I'd be willing to entertain other suggestions, but I think the term loses its impact with overuse.

That's a good question - the Cohens moved out around 03-04 because of age/mobility (in the Chron article, it mentions there were only three steps between the two levels of the home, and that was too much for Mrs. Cohen to get around). If it were my "baby" I would consider perhaps modifying the steps in part to make them accessible. Anyhow, while O'Quinn kept up the exterior nicely, I can only imagine that there were leaks on the inside (or perhaps an open door) that caused such problems inside.

It

That's a good question - the Cohens moved out around 03-04 because of age/mobility (in the Chron article, it mentions there were only three steps between the two levels of the home, and that was too much for Mrs. Cohen to get around). If it were my "baby" I would consider perhaps modifying the steps in part to make them accessible. Anyhow, while O'Quinn kept up the exterior nicely, I can only imagine that there were leaks on the inside (or perhaps an open door) that caused such problems inside.

They also likely failed to utlize proper air conditioning thus creating a mold factory.

I work near this home and decided to pay my respects in person. It is quite striking and beautiful. I would think that someone with sound resources wishing to set themselves apart from the mundane, cookie cutter everything that dots our personal landscapes would want to take this on and rehab the property. Perhaps the current owner can be persuaded to pend his current plans for a set period of time, thus providing a sympathetic realtor enough notice to locate a willing, enthusiastic buyer.

Certainly the current builder has an awareness of the unique context of the property ?

Hopefully we can use the downturn in the housing market to our advantage giving us more time to devise some options. Perhaps some of these ideas could be used:

1. Find several young architects to volunteer to devise a plan for remediation and renovation. They get real experience and their name known.

2. Obtain volunteer help from architecture students from Houston, College Station and Austin. They would be learning from experience and also be meeting future employment contacts. Houston Mod and GHPA members could volunteer also.

3. Apply to be featured on This Old House or another show of that type. Once finished, the house could be put on the market and sold so the present owner could be repaid with interest.

I would only be willing to consider maybe three mod houses in Houston "world-class." The late lamented Mitchell house, the Menil house, and the Maher house. I'd be willing to entertain other suggestions, but I think the term loses its impact with overuse.

World Class Houses in Houston I've been in (truly moving experiences):

The Menil House

The Gordon House

The Neuhaus House

48 Tiel Way (I forget the original owners' name)

Even more World Class than what we have to offer in Houston (opinion):

The Farnsworth House

The Glass House

Fallingwater (never been there)

The Stahl House (never been there)

The Cohen House is one of the most notable houses in Meyerland. Granit isn't going to really care that we'd love to see the house stay and have many aesthetic reasons that it should be so. It will probably make them some money and they will get to live across the street from the new house there, increasing their home value (for some reason).

Jason

Edited by Willowisp