Home At 9602 Moonlight Dr.

Willowisp

• 1 month later...
I was told by a neighbor that the house has already changed hands and will be destroyed...

Jason

Perhaps access could be granted for photo documentation. Unlike some of the other demolished structures in Houston, this is a significant piece of architecture -- regardless of period created. Perhaps Ben H would be in the position to preserve the memory of this edifice.

It's a real shame this one is a goner.

Perhaps access could be granted for photo documentation.

Actually that's what I had requested when I originally posted about it being bought for the construction of a new home. Seeing that the house was intact and that the original architectural plans were readily available I wanted to see if someone could document the home before it's demise. But I really don't see the new owner being so quick to let in the very folks who tried to prevent him from purchasing the home. However it's worth a shot if anyone is interested.

You can check out what the future holds here:

http://www.granitbuilders.com/

Actually that's what I had requested when I originally posted about it being bought for the construction of a new home. Seeing that the house was intact and that the original architectural plans were readily available I wanted to see if someone could document the home before it's demise. But I really don't see the new owner being so quick to let in the very folks who tried to prevent him from purchasing the home. However it's worth a shot if anyone is interested.

You can check out what the future holds here:

http://www.granitbuilders.com/

Well, missjanel beat me to the punch on their website, but here are a few links to their active listings in MLS...

http://www.har.com/3998498 (Meyerland)

http://www.har.com/9942241 (Ayrshire)

http://www.har.com/3525863 (Bellaire)

gbi_01.jpg

I'm not sure how many times the point has to be made with respect to the new home construction types but it accomplishes little. Sure it's fun to lambaste the poor choices for replacements of significant architecture (be it post war or contemporary), but constructive activism toward an objective -- say, documentation of a significant structure, securing of existing plans, etc. -- would be far more beneficial than yet another critique of a "mcmansion".

Just a thought.

I'm not sure how many times the point has to be made with respect to the new home construction types but it accomplishes little. Sure it's fun to lambaste the poor choices for replacements of significant architecture (be it post war or contemporary), but constructive activism toward an objective -- say, documentation of a significant structure, securing of existing plans, etc. -- would be far more beneficial than yet another critique of a "mcmansion".

Just a thought.

Point taken. I'll rephrase. For anyone that might possibly want to document the home you can contact the new owner Marvin Granit of Granit Builders at the website listed above.

Just a thought.

Point taken, but I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw this picture. I know it's not constructive activism, but so be it.

True, but if we could just change one person's mind about bad home design, it's worth it. :P

This isn't constructive, but I hate spec homes.

I hope those 3 examples above languish on the market. I have noticed in the last few months that many of the specs have been sitting empty awaiting buyers. I can only pray that it means it is getting risky to develop these pieces of _________.

This isn't constructive, but I hate spec homes.

I hope those 3 examples above languish on the market. I have noticed in the last few months that many of the specs have been sitting empty awaiting buyers. I can only pray that it means it is getting risky to develop these pieces of _________.

That's so sweet of you to hope that another person's business fails since the houses they are building don't fit with your personal taste.

flipper

That's so sweet of you to hope that another person's business fails since the houses they are building don't fit with your personal taste.

flipper

Hmmmm....

And I suppose it's sweet when spec home builders move into neighborhoods and destroy character by building houses completely out of scale?

I also suppose it's sweet when 5,000 square foot McMansions move into former bungalow neighborhoods pricing out many buyers from what used to be affordable areas and raising taxes on long-time residents?

And is it sweet when these builders come in and tear down viable houses and more often than not waste a tremendous amount of resources?

And maybe you think it is sweet when these fellas move in and clear cut lots and build to the property lines in order to maximize profits?

And is it all groovy when spec home builders use their connections and deep pockets to tend to lock up homes/lots before individuals have a chance to get them?

Or, maybe you like the idea of spec homes sitting empty for months on end in neighborhoods because they are GROSSLY overpriced ($2.9 million in Afton Oaks?)

Forgive me for not shedding a tear for McMansion developers!

Hmmmm....

And I suppose it's sweet when spec home builders move into neighborhoods and destroy character by building houses completely out of scale?

I also suppose it's sweet when 5,000 square foot McMansions move into former bungalow neighborhoods pricing out many buyers from what used to be affordable areas and raising taxes on long-time residents?

And is it sweet when these builders come in and tear down viable houses and more often than not waste a tremendous amount of resources?

And maybe you think it is sweet when these fellas move in and clear cut lots and build to the property lines in order to maximize profits?

And is it all groovy when spec home builders use their connections and deep pockets to tend to lock up homes/lots before individuals have a chance to get them?

Or, maybe you like the idea of spec homes sitting empty for months on end in neighborhoods because they are GROSSLY overpriced ($2.9 million in Afton Oaks?)

Forgive me for not shedding a tear for McMansion developers!

Here here! I don't feel sympathy for these people. Yes, everyone's got to make a living and they've got as much a right to do that as anyone, but it's not like these people just happen across a vacant lot and have unwittingly built a Mediteruscan piece of crap out of sheer ignorance. They are deliberately going into places like Memorial Bend, buying up great houses that are beautiful examples of 50's modern design and destroying them. I've actually heard some of them talk about it. Their goal is to make Memorial and any other piece of land they can like a master planned community or Cinco Ranch. It's a calculated effort. The only consolation is that sooner or later, they'll be gone, once the bottom falls out of the housing market.

I bet most people don't think it's fun to lambaste these "new" houses, but you're right, it doesn't get us that far preaching to the choir here on this message board...

As for documenting this house, I don't know about getting pictures now unless we're able to sneak in against the law. Maybe the developers are nice or maybe they have no interest in having us over to shoot the house for posterity. However the Cohens are still alive and would most likely be accomodating to us scanning their photos. It's a matter of lack of time and too many irons in the fire that I haven't written this house up on Houston Mod so I'm sorry for not getting to that yet.

My next order of business is to help get ready for the Houston Mod seminar on Protected Landmark Status. I'll put up a bulletin on that shortly. We will be using my house as an example and I will apply for it for our house.

Jason

Just a thought.

Edited by Willowisp

As for documenting this house, I don't know about getting pictures now unless we're able to sneak in against the law. Maybe the developers are nice or maybe they have no interest in having us over to shoot the house for posterity.

Jason

I think I can get in to take pictures this week (without sneaking in).

I may be able to "get" things from the house too if it matters.

flipper

Ben and Kinkaid,

what are your thoughts on people who hire builders to tear down mod houses like this to build themsleves a custom house that is not mod or isn't in your taste?

flipper

Personally, it depends. If the house isn't in good enough condition to save, then it's not worth it. Hire an architect and build a new house. But how can you bulldoze something like the Caudell house? Yes, it had some roof issues, but it was (is?) in great shape when I saw it. I heard someone say that the flatter the roof, the more trailer-like it is. That pretty well sums things up, doesn't it? If you can save it, do it. If not, don't go bury yourself in dept trying to save something that can't be. All I can say is thank God for people with tons of money (like Dana Harper, the Mosbachers and the Menil Foundation) that can save the real masterpieces.

The other thing you have to keep in mind about builder houses is that some people (not necessarily excluding myself) have no taste whatsoever, but that doesn't stop them from making the money to buy or build these things.

The focus of the topic is 9602 Moollight Drive, as such perhaps we could remain focused on this item.

I previously posted suggesting photo documentation efforts from someone who might be in a position to do such. This house will likely be demolished in the near future so whatever preservation efforts (be it documentation in this case) can be executed such needs to occur without delay.

Or once again, we will have a posting of digital images of a demolished property -- what purpose this serves is beyond me -- and no lasting document of what once was.

Another poster mentioned the existence of construction documents... if these do indeed exist, they should be secured for copying or better yet, submission to a legitimate retainer of historic architectural documents -- I see no reason whoever holds these documents that they would not be willing to assist in the desired goal. Also, some members have attempted to contact the current owner/developer --those efforts are certainly laudable (kudos to you) -- but we should consider this one a goner.

The items noted above are realistic tasks and can be accomplished with a little effort. At least we would be able to say that something was achieved before the house disappeared forever.

Who's stepping up to the plate?

I think I can get in to take pictures this week (without sneaking in).

I may be able to "get" things from the house too if it matters.

flipper

please let us know what comes of this. i know there are several of us here that would really appreciate a final opportunity to see the interior and document it - i know owners may not be all about group tours, but i thought i'd throw that out there.

as far as posting images of demolished property - it is also part of the documentation process (as well as what is built in its place). while demo and interior pictures may not serve the noblest purpose, sometimes it is all that we have since much demolition occurs without a lot of notice, and those who own the property either do not have print documentation for the house or do not want to share it.

Ben and Kinkaid,

what are your thoughts on people who hire builders to tear down mod houses like this to build themsleves a custom house that is not mod or isn't in your taste?

flipper

Well, I'm neither Ben nor Kinkaid, and with apologies to the Thread Police, I'll take a quick crack at it. Most baby boomers grew up in tract houses or in urban apartments that were not architecturally interesting. Most of the MCM stuff they saw was institutional: schools, offices, clinics, etc. To them, steel, glass, terrazzo, flat roofs, low ceilings, and interior brick look both cold and old. Add to that the modern desire for kitchen and bath amenities and the longer hours that one generally must work to have the biggish bucks, and a new house in the "dramatic" "Mediterranean" style, with little or no yard to maintain, looks pretty attractive. Especially since you can throw money at decorating a new house instead of repairing or remodeling an old one.

please let us know what comes of this. i know there are several of us here that would really appreciate a final opportunity to see the interior and document it - i know owners may not be all about group tours, but i thought i'd throw that out there.

as far as posting images of demolished property - it is also part of the documentation process (as well as what is built in its place). while demo and interior pictures may not serve the noblest purpose, sometimes it is all that we have since much demolition occurs without a lot of notice, and those who own the property either do not have print documentation for the house or do not want to share it.

As of now I'm supposed to get inside the house tommorow.

There won't be an organized tour though, as I was told quite seriously to bring a mask.

flipper

Don't mean to leave you folks hanging.

Couldn't get over to the house today but I'm supposed to after lunch tommorow. I gotta admit I'm having second thoughts though. The owner told me that everyone he's taken in there has gotten sick soon after coming out. Apparently it is REALLY nasty in there. I may swing by and get some new filters for my mask.

flipper

Don't mean to leave you folks hanging.

Couldn't get over to the house today but I'm supposed to after lunch tommorow. I gotta admit I'm having second thoughts though. The owner told me that everyone he's taken in there has gotten sick soon after coming out. Apparently it is REALLY nasty in there. I may swing by and get some new filters for my mask.

flipper

Is it mold or what? Be very careful.

Is it mold or what? Be very careful.

Ya know what, every time I've tried to go see this house a mini-crisis has erupted at one of my other houses. I'm gonna go ahead and take it as a sign that I'm not supposed to go in this mold trap.

Sorry folks,

flipper

Can't blame you if people are really getting sick.

What's it going to be like when they tear it down? Will all that mold escape and spread or do they treat it somehow?

Jason

Ya know what, every time I've tried to go see this house a mini-crisis has erupted at one of my other houses. I'm gonna go ahead and take it as a sign that I'm not supposed to go in this mold trap.

Sorry folks,

flipper

"Another poster mentioned the existence of construction documents... if these do indeed exist, they should be secured for copying or better yet, submission to a legitimate retainer of historic architectural documents..."

The aforementioned item should be the focus of efforts to "record" this property for posterity. Do the construction documents exist? Can they be secured by someone on this panel?

Finally, at a minimum the house's exterior should be photo documented.

I believe Spaceage is already on the case. There are lots of houses like this in Meyerland, but few are quite this unique. Hopefully we can have scans and or copies made of the most interesting/notable designs there. Meyerland will probably have a few more visitors at their office on W. Bellfort now that their $100 deposit system is known...

I also believe that BenH has gotten the contact info for the Cohen family, so maybe more interior pictures and historical information can be obtained. I would be happy to have an article written up on this house for the Houston Mod newsletter and or website, but I know so little about the house and am busy at work until the Thanksgiving break.

Jason

"Another poster mentioned the existence of construction documents... if these do indeed exist, they should be secured for copying or better yet, submission to a legitimate retainer of historic architectural documents..."

The aforementioned item should be the focus of efforts to "record" this property for posterity. Do the construction documents exist? Can they be secured by someone on this panel?

Finally, at a minimum the house's exterior should be photo documented.