Houston Mod: August Mod of the Month This Sunday

Willowisp

The August Mod of the Month is a sprawling ranch by noted Architect Willian F. Wortham Jr.

4987 Dumfries is designed for entertaining with an open concept den & gameroom area with floor to ceiling glass that overlooks a sparkling pool. Great mid-century architectural features such as a swanky metal-box fireplace and intact retro kitchen with suspended cabinets.

In addition to this fine modernist home, there will be two additional modern homes also open for viewing at the same time. 5702 Warm Springs, a 1959 Parade of Homes model that was the give-away prize home for the Parade program. A 3 bedroom, 2 bath with an open floor plan and unique original mosaic tile wall. Also open will be 5718 Warm Springs just a couple of doors down. Designed by Claude Hooten, this unique mid-century modern is centered around an indoor pool. The home appeared in "House & Home" magazine and was a model for the 1959 Parade of Homes show as well.

All of these homes will be open for viewing on Sunday August 19th from 2 to 4.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

www.houstonmod.org

Three mod houses to tour today! The daughter of William Wortham, Jr., architect of the 4987 Dumfries house, will be at that house. It will be interesting to learn more about her father and his practice. This house is still occupied by the original owners who hired Wortham to design it in the 1950s.

In addition, a bit of the 1959 Parade of Homes is recreated on Warm Springs in Westbury as two of the original mods from the parade will be open to tour. The Dumfries house and the two on Warm Springs are separated by an approximately 1.5 mile drive on West Bellfort Avenue. Information about Houston Mod and how to join will be available.

• 4 months later...

I am sad to report the William F. Wortham, Jr. designed house at 4987 Dumfries in Meyerland is now undergoing an unfortunate remodeling. From what is visible from the front windows, it looks like the entire house, which was in perfect original owner condition, has been completely gutted. The large and open living area has been reconfigured with the addition of several new walls. Seldom do you see smaller, more enclosed spaces being formed out of larger, open spaces. It appears the new theme will be traditional as the new door openings have arched tops. The metal fireplace has been removed along with the sliding breakfast room light fixture. The breakfast room seems to have been walled off into another small room.

Most unfortunate is the loss of the entire vintage kitchen including the brick walls which were also visible from the living room and entry area. The brick on the front of the house has been bluntly cut and white plastic framed windows with distorted glass/plexiglass panes inserted. I imagine the low voltage light switching system has also been destroyed. It seems the new owner has no understanding or appreciation of the original design concepts Wortham employed here.

hr1969288-2.jpg

Informal Living Area-Before

hr1969288-6.jpg

Original Kitchen with brick walls

hr1969288-7.jpg

Original Kitchen opening to breakfast room

hr1969288-8.jpg

Breakfast Area- note light fixture that was adjustable both horizontally and vertically

I am new to this forum. Who can attend the mod of the month? I am fascinated with historic Houston homes and would welcome an opportunity to see some of them. I am particularly interested in Riverside, Riverside Terrace, and Timbercrest. I have read a lot of great information in these forums.

Thanks, Mary

Mod of the months are open to the public. You can check houstonmod.org to see the next MOTM.

I am new to this forum. Who can attend the mod of the month? I am fascinated with historic Houston homes and would welcome an opportunity to see some of them. I am particularly interested in Riverside, Riverside Terrace, and Timbercrest. I have read a lot of great information in these forums.

Thanks, Mary

Heh, see if you can get the Frame house.

What a scene that would be. You wouldn't be able to get people to leave.

I toured the home on the RDA tour a few years ago and really had a hard time leaving. The embarrassment of the docents watching me just stand and stare finally was enough to get me out the door.

But why not, Willowisp? Those who appreciate this house could come together and celebrate it. Kumbaya. ;)

I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag on this yet, but clear your plans for Feb 17th... If it sells before that though we may be out of luck.

What a scene that would be. You wouldn't be able to get people to leave.

I toured the home on the RDA tour a few years ago and really had a hard time leaving. The embarrassment of the docents watching me just stand and stare finally was enough to get me out the door.

But why not, Willowisp? Those who appreciate this house could come together and celebrate it. Kumbaya. ;)

My pleasure, everyone. I saw today that she had the open house listed so I went ahead and added it on Houstonmod.org. It was a great stroke of luck. Turns out the owner had told her about Houston Mod and I called her before she could call us. She had planned on having an open house, but was really happy for us to be there and lend our knowledge. It will be a great day for everyone who can make it. My true hope for this event is that we find several potential owners, not only for the Frame House, but for other MCM houses in that area and price range that may go on sale in the future and would otherwise be certain goners. I hope that the attention the Frame House is getting will help usher in a more mainstream (and/or upper class) appreciation for this kind of house.

Jason

Yes, thank you, Jason. Hope I can make it that day.

Archived