Pearland Crime

12thManFan

In response to pearlandgal, I don't see people leaving the west pearland area in droves. Yes, maybe you have a few friends in Silverlake, Silvercreek...etc. that want "out". But, looking at the MLS, I don't see hundreds of people selling their homes in those areas. As far as the "tacky" mall being built...(lol), from what I've heard and seen of Pearland Town Center's website, the mall will be awesome. We're going to have a Macys, Dillards and hundreds of other stores. This mall will be comparable to First Colony Mall in Sugar Land.

Hopefully you'll have luck selling your home because as you know the "mortgage crisis" is in full effect. Good luck in Katy...

No it won't. I think the Pearland Town Center will be more like Katy's new mall (which will have the same stores and is outdoor).

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monroe Rd is also being widened, which is essentially right across the beltway from Pearland Parkway.

A Super Target is in planning at this intersection as well.

my dad told me the a sign for target is now up.

I'm a latecomer to this thread. It certainly was an interesting read. So it has now been 9 months since this thread was so lively, but maybe it's time for a revival, to take new stock of the situation in Pearland.

As a new resident to Pearland's west side, I can't say I am seeing evidence of the dire predictions made by some posters in this thread. I have coworkers who live in Silverlake and some of the apartments along 518 and they don't see it either. I frequently shop at the Target and Walmart along 518 near 288 and I don't feel unsafe in either store. And the person who was talking about the prison nearby? What's up with that? There isn't one (unless I missed it in my research). The TDCJ units are way over to the west, in the north Sugarland/Richmond area.

Facts speak best. Is there crime in Pearland ? Sure there is. Even in my nice new subdivision on the west side. But Pearland doesn't stand out in the GHA any more than other satelitte communities. Ok, back to the facts. You can go to the City of Pearland Police Depts. webpage and use this link to generate crime statistics for areas around the city. njvisitor shared that link in another thread here, but it deserves repeating in this thread.

I'm a latecomer to this thread. It certainly was an interesting read. So it has now been 9 months since this thread was so lively, but maybe it's time for a revival, to take new stock of the situation in Pearland.

As a new resident to Pearland's west side, I can't say I am seeing evidence of the dire predictions made by some posters in this thread. I have coworkers who live in Silverlake and some of the apartments along 518 and they don't see it either. I frequently shop at the Target and Walmart along 518 near 288 and I don't feel unsafe in either store. And the person who was talking about the prison nearby? What's up with that? There isn't one (unless I missed it in my research). The TDCJ units are way over to the west, in the north Sugarland/Richmond area.

Facts speak best. Is there crime in Pearland ? Sure there is. Even in my nice new subdivision on the west side. But Pearland doesn't stand out in the GHA any more than other satelitte communities. Ok, back to the facts. You can go to the City of Pearland Police Depts. webpage and use this link to generate crime statistics for areas around the city. njvisitor shared that link in another thread here, but it deserves repeating in this thread.

There is one south of here off of 521 in Rosharon. It is about 15 miles south of Highway 6, which isn't really all that close. Here is a link to the Terrell Unit, which is also part of the Ramsey and Stringfellow units. The website says it's 4 miles west of 521, but I have seen parts of it while driving down 521.

I personally haven't seen thugs or anything that shows Pearland is becoming a ghetto. But it is expected. When PTC opens it will be 3 miles retail on 518 from Kirby to Cullen. You don't expect things to remain like they were 10 years ago with all of that. My friend's wife's truck was broken into in daylight at 24hr fitness Shaq last year. Their staff says that's a frequent occurence. But overall I won't say these gets me jumpy. We've been out at 2am sometimes and didn't notice suspicious people.

Good link Timmywendy. Notice how Silverlake is crimefree. Wish I can afford a home there.

My friend's wife's truck was broken into in daylight at 24hr fitness Shaq last year. Their staff says that's a frequent occurence. .

Unfortunately, cars are routinely broken into at fitness clubs all over Houston. Thieves know that people often leave money, wallets, purses and other valuables in their car when they go work out.

There is one south of here off of 521 in Rosharon. It is about 15 miles south of Highway 6, which isn't really all that close. Here is a link to the Terrell Unit, which is also part of the Ramsey and Stringfellow units. The website says it's 4 miles west of 521, but I have seen parts of it while driving down 521.

15 miles is a huge distance in relation to the GHA. Just more evidence that the poster above was misinformed and panicky....or else motivated by another personal agenda.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

The main idea I get from reading this that theese bloggers are only living for themselves. By that, I mean, no one has stated that they volunteer for Clean Pearland, the Reading Center or any City sponsored programs--not to mention church activities.

They are critics of everything, but have no time to offer to the community. It is a free ride for them, and they don't want to give of themselves, however; they want, and want, and complain about the city.

There is an organization called the Citizens Police Academy who have a great time together, and they offer their time to help the city police. They have a period of training before they are allowed to go out into the community.

Pearland also has a wonderful group of people who love their volunteer fire group. These are people who again, give of their time to train to help out their community. The people who complain about the city have nothing to offer except negative whining. I have lived here for 40 years and find so much to be proud of in this community. The people are great, and they love living here. The letters I read have nothing to say about what they are doing for their community to make it great and keep it that way! I am totally discussed with these attitudes. Is this what the young adults have learned from Civic Class? They need to grow up!

Where do I sign up for this?

Go to the City's website: www.ci.pearland.tx.us There a LOTS of opportunities--if you are interested in working with Citizen's Police Academy, click on City Departments, Police, then on the right side you will see a link: Apply for the Citizens Police Academy Online.

But there are opportunities to serve on Boards and Commissions, Code Enforcement (EYES OF PEARLAND), and many, many other ways to help Pearland be a wonderful, first class city.l

Citizens police academy might be open to all but if you want to get on one of the boards or commisions you better have a backer. I have applied for one in the past and never heard another word. I hand delivered the application and called back to check on it and after several tries was told they never received it. I resubmitted an application and once again never heard from them. Again I called and was told once again that they never received it. At that point I checked with my "in the know sources" in Pearland and was told for the most part you have to be asked to serve on a board. There is still a lot of good old boys and back room deals in Pearland. It still only takes 1,500 to 1,600 votes o get elected to city council. Apathy runs rampent in Pearland. One of the reasons is that the city government is not open to new ideas and new people. The main reason my application was lost was because in the past I had dealings with the city concerning the same board I was applying for. Certain folks within city government remembered me from past dealings and witout any discussion or a vote, I was nixed. Moral of the story is watch what you say about getting involved with the city becauase it's not as open as you would think.

Moral of the story is watch what you say about getting involved with the city because it's not as open as you would think.

Ditto.

You tried and that is what matters.

There are hundreds of Harper Valley PTA's out there and most block out reality. -_-

Go to the City's website: www.ci.pearland.tx.us There a LOTS of opportunities--if you are interested in working with Citizen's Police Academy, click on City Departments, Police, then on the right side you will see a link: Apply for the Citizens Police Academy Online.

But there are opportunities to serve on Boards and Commissions, Code Enforcement (EYES OF PEARLAND), and many, many other ways to help Pearland be a wonderful, first class city.l

might want to re-read the context of my question. you state that the "critics" think they have a "free ride"... when in fact, we are all tax paying citizens that expect to have a certain level of expectations met by the city, and I think it is safe to say that crime rate is of high interest to those "critics".

might want to re-read the context of my question. you state that the "critics" think they have a "free ride"... when in fact, we are all tax paying citizens that expect to have a certain level of expectations met by the city, and I think it is safe to say that crime rate is of high interest to those "critics".

Yes, we ALL pay taxes--one way or another. But that is not enough. Even if you can't get an appointment on a Board, there are still tons of other ways to help Pearland be a better city. If lowering the crime rate is what you want to do, then the Citizens Police Academy is open. Edmund Burke said,

Activepearland has a very valid point, the more involved we become in our community, the better it'll become. Paying taxes is not even worth mentioning, as not paying taxes is illegal.

Of course, putting down people (i.e., "none of you volutneer! shame on you!") is a poor way to get people involved.

Yes, we ALL pay taxes--one way or another. But that is not enough. Even if you can't get an appointment on a Board, there are still tons of other ways to help Pearland be a better city. If lowering the crime rate is what you want to do, then the Citizens Police Academy is open. Edmund Burke said, 'The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

Complaining and paying taxes is not enough by itself.

How someone tries to address their particular concerns with the city is each individuals right. I don't think posting ones opinion on an internet forum makes one a "critic". I certainly don't expect people to always see my point of view, but I still won't make rash generalizations due to a few postings on an internet forum. And why can't one be more interested in putting their energy toward improving the way that our tax dollars are spent instead of doing what you reocommend? I commend and respect both for doing what they feel is worthy to better the community.

How someone tries to address their particular concerns with the city is each individuals right. I don't think posting ones opinion on an internet forum makes one a "critic". I certainly don't expect people to always see my point of view, but I still won't make rash generalizations due to a few postings on an internet forum. And why can't one be more interested in putting their energy toward improving the way that our tax dollars are spent instead of doing what you reocommend? I commend and respect both for doing what they feel is worthy to better the community.

But you also have to remember, we have had a history of people being NIMBY's in various forms on here. While they are highly aware of their own particular crime situation (being a subdivision, neighborhood, or whatever) they want it taken care of without regard on how it will impact other people or resources overall.

For example: John Doe would want to have 4 police officers dedicated to a 9 block area around his home because of some break ins, that equates to 12 officers totally dedicated to his area for 24hrs. The crime rate drops, but he still wants to keep the officers there.

In the meantime, those 12 officers could have have been patrolling an even wider area with a higher crime rate. But of course, John Doe doesn't care.

But you also have to remember, we have had a history of people being NIMBY's in various forms on here. While they are highly aware of their own particular crime situation (being a subdivision, neighborhood, or whatever) they want it taken care of without regard on how it will impact other people or resources overall.

For example: John Doe would want to have 4 police officers dedicated to a 9 block area around his home because of some break ins, that equates to 12 officers totally dedicated to his area for 24hrs. The crime rate drops, but he still wants to keep the officers there.

In the meantime, those 12 officers could have have been patrolling an even wider area with a higher crime rate. But of course, John Doe doesn't care.

in this case, as most cases, the 80/20 rule would certainly apply.

• 1 month later...

For a few months now, I've been following the Pearland Police reports that are published online at the Pearland Journal. They publish them there about every 7-10 days. A very consistent crime seems to be theft at construction sites, both residential and commercial. For some typical examples, look at the latest crime report at this link.

There is still a lot of good old boys and back room deals in Pearland. It still only takes 1,500 to 1,600 votes o get elected to city council. Apathy runs rampent in Pearland. One of the reasons is that the city government is not open to new ideas and new people.

I know this is old, but I don't normally read this thread. This comment struck me as odd. If it only takes 1500 votes to get elected, why don't a few motivated residents run the good ol' boys out? Blaming the incumbents when the number of votes needed to oust them is extremely low sounds very much like a copout. Just like residents who claim to have high expectations for their government, yet won't vote to fund it, or complaining about crime but leaving doors unlocked, and items in plain view, and do not know the non-emergency police number.

There are a lot of people who are not sharing in Houston's good economy, and some of them are engaging in a bit of self help. If we are not willing to pay for enough cops to blanket the city, you are going to be a victim, unless you engage in a little bit of your own self help. This is not a complicated equation.

I don't have the time or the desire to run for City Council and the quote you took from my earlier post was in response to the fact that I had applied to serve on a board of the city in an effort to make things better in my community. The idea that it takes so few votes to get elected was pointing to the very apathy you are talking about. The reason it takes so few votes to get elected is because so few people turn out. I have backed and voted for people who would make a difference but dispite the individuals spending a lot of time, effort and money they were not elected. I go to city council meetings and have spoken on issues before them but at the end of the day a smaller group still runs the city. Times change and so will this situation, as more areas are annexed into the city of Pearland they are bringing in a different kind of individual that does not agree with the current leaders and they will displace the current administration, but thats still a ways off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Prior to Hurricane Ike, the Pearland Journal Online was publishing the Pearland police report every Wednesday. But since Sept. 10th, they haven't posted one. Too bad, because I was hoping to see the crime report for the area during the chaos of Ike. Well, maybe they will put out one this week, which will show more than just the prior week's activity.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess some of you saw this story in the news?

In my opinion, it makes a good case for having a diverse array of crime deterrents, such as a monitored home security system, deadbolts, and a firearm.

I also got an email alert from the PPD last week, stating that home invasions where up in Pearland as compared to last year. Something like 13 had been reported so far in 2009.

Everybody do what you can to stay safe!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived