Pearland Crime

12thManFan

The robber in this incident was wearing a bandanna over his face. Now, for as long as I've been in Pearland, I've never seen anyone walking around with one on their face.

I agree NJ. I shop that Target frequently and bandanas over the face are definitely the exception, not the rule! When they become popular, I will start looking for another store...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that comparison is just mean....

Wasn't meant to sound bad, only the undisputed truth.

I knew many people I worked with and knew growing up that lived in old Pasadena that backup my comment. News articles and people I speak to when visiting today in new or old Pasadena say the same. How much proof does one need? Seems most people agree that the low lifes are just passing through while visiting that Target area.

Again, I am not sure if the prisons nearby have a part in that. Everyone does know there are correctional facilities nearby don't they? oops! sorry realtors. :ph34r:

Wasn't meant to sound bad, only the undisputed truth.

I knew many people I worked with and knew growing up that lived in old Pasadena that backup my comment. News articles and people I speak to when visiting today in new or old Pasadena say the same. How much proof does one need?

If I owned a house in this area, and my property value was in danger of declining because of unverified anecdotal reports of crime, I'd probably demand more proof than one person's claims, but that's just me. I'd probably demand that someone show me crime statistics for Pasadena and Pearland, so that I could compare the two, rather than rely on the news or hearsay. I'd probably want to know if one attempted robbery in a parking lot was isolated, or common, based on facts, as opposed to someone just saying that he heard from a friend.

Again though, that's just me. I do not own a house in Pearland, so I am not as concerned with what people say about it. If it was my neighborhood, I'd want to know actual FACTS.

I and my coworkers (surrounding my monitor) are just cracking up on your ugly harrassing comments. Its like the water cooler hangout. They had to see it to believe it! Your neck to neck w/ your pal Musicman.

Your both quite popular. Hilarious. :D

and quit hijacking the rest are getting bored.

I have to disagree with pearlandgal2002 also, west Pearland is not going to become "ghetto". I believe you're overreacting. You should give this area time to develop and things will eventually level off just like they did in Sugar Land . Yes, they are building a major mall in the area and there will be thousands of people coming into this area just to shop. Most of the "ghetto" type folks you're refering to don't even live in this area....they can't afford to. Anytime you develop new subdivisions along with new retail establishments, you're going to have people come into the area to shop. I shop at a lot of the major malls in the Houston metro area, and I am "careful" and aware of my surroundings at all times. You have to be careful shopping at First Colony Mall in Sugar Land, as well as the world renowned GALLERIA mall and these are some of the nicer malls in Houston. Moving to Katy will not solve your problem. IMO you're creating more headaches for yourself by moving to Katy.

Katy is full of cheap home that will go through suburban decay. Stay away from Katy like a plague. Stick with Sugar Land. Pearland, I still see nothing special. Could become the next Katy.

this is actually quite insightful. while i haven't been to any of the 3 walmarts mentioned, the last time i was in the 288/518 area (christmas time) , i remember making a specific comment "i can't believe there's such a mix out here, i'm sure the long timers are upset"

I have been to them all many times. The characterization is certainly believable but the truth is you will find plenty of lower-income people of all races at all three Wal-Marts.

Katy is full of cheap home that will go through suburban decay. Stay away from Katy like a plague. Stick with Sugar Land. Pearland, I still see nothing special. Could become the next Katy.

Lots of areas have cheap housing in or near them. Katy also happens to have in and near it very expensive housing. But keep the myth alive.

This isn't even close to being true. Maybe certain areas in North Katy, but not the ones immediately around the Grand Parkway/I-10. The homes off of Mason and Fry, maybe. Ever heard of Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, Kelliwood, Seven Meadows, and all of the other communities in Katy?

I was heading to Wal-Mart the other day in Pearland. A co-worker asked me which one I was going to; the black one(West), the hispanic one(Highway 35), or the white one(Dixie Farm). I was dumb-founded by her ignorance, but everyone has their opinion I guess.
I wouldn't charachterize this as ignorance. A little too simply stated not entirely accurate probably an atempt at humor.

1) The west one is closest to Cullen drive McHard road and 288. All which lead to predominately black neighborhoods.

2) The one on Hwy 35 is close to the Beltway which leads to south houston and north up 35 towards Hobby airport both towards areas where a lot of hispanics live.

3) The one near dixie farm road is nearer to some of the older established neighborboods in pearland, near to friendswood, and in both cases also near to older declining neighborhoods that have a healthy mix of not wealthy people of all races. Not too many black people though.

This isn't even close to being true. Maybe certain areas in North Katy, but not the ones immediately around the Grand Parkway/I-10. The homes off of Mason and Fry, maybe. Ever heard of Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, Kelliwood, Seven Meadows, and all of the other communities in Katy?
technically most of these aren't in Katy proper. But widely considered Katy in the suburban discussion. KISD yes. unincorporated harris and fort bend county for the most part

Why sit around and wait for Pearland to clean itself up, how will they EVER remove the crime in mo city, around Hobby and down 288? THEY CANT. I won't sit around and wait for a tacky mall to be built and a few shops. If you have noticed- see how many shops have gone under in west pearland in the past year? off the top of my head and by no means the full list:

GIA

Melys

Kennedy's Closet

Fun Time for Tots

Toddler Fun time

Muddy Waters

The Wings place

There are currently THREE business's within the Bushi Ban devlopment next to Krogers that have notes and locked doors on the outside!

East pearland is staying east, SCR is staying to SCR and west pearland is a wasteland. I agree, Sugarland is superb. I am truly not over reacting, this sentiment is expressed by many of my neighbors in lakes at country place, silverlake, and silvercreek. In fact, I have many friends who own in silvercreek and cannot leave because their home is simply too much $, and the amenities very thin in Silvercreek. Most want out desperately for the reasons I have listed. Who would buy a $500,000 home in this area?

There are bright spots in Pearland, but not enough for me and many people I know to call it "home". Crime is everywhere, but this place is begging for it and has been from the start- who really thought you could build nice communities so close to huge pockets of crime?

And anything over 518 is a horrible mish mash of small weird communities, Sunrise Lake is a nitemare, 1/2 the development is now going to Lawhon elem, where it is 65% school voucher and only 32% English as first language. We have a cousin who made the mistake of building there- and she is having a very hard time selling her home.

This place is the pits.

And for the genius who mentioned the "cheap" housing in Katy- get real- check out Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, Grayson Lakes etc etc and it goes on and on.

And anything over 518 is a horrible mish mash of small weird communities, Sunrise Lake is a nitemare, 1/2 the development is now going to Lawhon elem, where it is 65% school voucher and only 32% English as first language. We have a cousin who made the mistake of building there- and she is having a very hard time selling her home.

Lawhon is technically in the City of Brookside Village, not Pearland. Lawhon serves sections of Pearland.

As for Katy, there are other "Greater Katy" subdivisions besides the ones you mentioned. Some people say the subdivisions north of Interstate 10 are cheaper than subdivisions south of Interstate 10.

Speaking about Pearland, I stated this in the FBISD portion of SCR thread.

Fort Bend ISD will build a new elementary school for its part of SCR (meaning that people in FB County will no longer get to go to Marek ES in Alvin ISD). FBISD has zoned its part of SCR to Willowridge HS and McAuliffe MS in Houston. Right now the FBISD part of SCR is zoned to Blue Ridge ES in Houston.

See http://www.perryhomes.com/Images/PDFs/SCRWhatIsNew.pdf

Alvin ISD plans to open a new elementary school (Wilder ES) and a new junior high school (Ryan JHS) in its section of Shadow Creek Ranch.

The school situation down there is shitty. The new homes are being zoned to some crappy schools.

That's not uncommon for new development. Then the demographics shift and eventually new schools get built to accomodate the new more affluent population. Pearland ISD has seen rapid improvement and Alvin ISD is next on the hit list. So it goes. You think Friendswood was always a top-rated district?

I believe there is some overreaction to the crime in Pearland as it is typical crime you would in any area of Houston. I always see patrols through my neighborhood and more recently the shopping centers (probably as a result of last weeks attempt). I'm actually more concerned when I shop at the Galleria, Highland Village, and Rice Village because there are always people trolling around looking for a quick buck.

I think as residents of Pearland it is up to us to speak up and make sure changes continue in regards to the police force, rather then run away. After all, there are low-income areas, all across Houston (yes, even Katy). And I laughed, when I read about the comparison between the ghettos of Chicago and Pearland. I've actually spent some time there and love to seem some of our little poser hood wannabes hang with the real hoods. With all the new development west of 288, those businesses aren't spending all that money to have their customers scared away by crime.

That's not uncommon for new development. Then the demographics shift and eventually new schools get built to accomodate the new more affluent population. Pearland ISD has seen rapid improvement and Alvin ISD is next on the hit list. So it goes. You think Friendswood was always a top-rated district?

Friendswood maintains its top rating by drawing lines that keep the growth out of FISD. It's not a similar condition to what's going on in SCR.

The only high school in FISD is Friendswood. There are kids who live less than a couple of miles from Friendswood High who are zoned to Clear Creek, though. Believe me, it isn't the white kids in $350,000 homes ending up on the CCISD side of that line.

Friendswood is the closest thing to a private school you can get in a public one. And it isn't by accident.

Wow...I live in Silverlake and I have not noticed the influx of thugs walking around my hood. I see people walking, jogging, pushing their babies, ect. How come all of these people aren't locked up in their houses with pistols in hand? I seriously doubt Silverlake, Silvercreek, SCR, Southern Trails, ect. will ever become the "hood". I personally have never seen a ghetto that has a golf course (even if it isn't the best..). The houses are too expensive and the property taxes are too high. The proximity to the Med Center will always be a bonus for Pearland.

I don't shop at WalMart because I don't like them period. I don't like the big crowds regardless of whether the clientele is Black, Hispanic, or Caucasian. As many people have stated, retail will bring crime, it's inevitable. I've shopped in the Woodlands and I've seen "thuggish/trashy" looking people there but I wouldn't label the Woodlands as being ghetto.

I know the statements in this post are random but I think it's laughable that pearlandgal thinks this master planned community is the hood. She obviously has never been to the real hood.

Furthermore, if Pearland is going thuggish, it is absolutely is not too far gone. What ever happened to being behind your neighborhood? How do you think ghettos happen?

If Pearland does become the hood, it will be because people moved in alright, but not the thugs. It'll be due to the ones who refused to be part of their neighborhood and abandoned it at the first sign of growing pains. The thugs will move in after the good people leave. Then, it'll happen all over again in the next fast-growing community.

Pearland is not beyond hope...unless residents like pearlandgal2002 are the only ones there.

My wife and I went to that Wal-Mart and the Kohls across the street on Friday night at 10:30 for the sales tax holiday. Saw lots of people, white, black, and Hispanic, but didn't see anyone who looked even a little like a thug. Also saw a little more security around. It felt perfectly safe.

In response to pearlandgal, I don't see people leaving the west pearland area in droves. Yes, maybe you have a few friends in Silverlake, Silvercreek...etc. that want "out". But, looking at the MLS, I don't see hundreds of people selling their homes in those areas. As far as the "tacky" mall being built...(lol), from what I've heard and seen of Pearland Town Center's website, the mall will be awesome. We're going to have a Macys, Dillards and hundreds of other stores. This mall will be comparable to First Colony Mall in Sugar Land.

Hopefully you'll have luck selling your home because as you know the "mortgage crisis" is in full effect. Good luck in Katy...

Archived