Chicago style deep-dish pizza in Houston?

See my initial post above, except that (as indicated in my most recent post) Candelari's has now redeemed themselves:

I know what you're thinking already. "Star Pizza is known for their Chicago style." Nope. I like Star Pizza just fine, and while their self-proclaimed "Chicago style deep dish pizza" tastes OK, it's NOT the real deal. Neither is Candalari's. They're both just a thick-crust pan pizza, pretty much the same thing you could get at Domino's or Papa John's, with a little bit of sauce thrown on top. Please note: I'm not saying that Domino's or Papa John's is necessarily as good as Star Pizza, just saying that Star's authenticity is lacking to me.

Original reports had a pizza joint going into the new Allegro building next to the Glass Wall on Studewood. Now that this structure has finally commenced construction, here's hoping we'll have another option later this year...

Thee does worship thine Star Pizza!

I bow down to this most beloved pizza.

PS, I had some lasagna at Spaghetti Warehouse DT and I was in 7th heaven. Sheer delight! :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I am not a big pizza eater (either in-restaurant or delivery). That said, I am basically happy with any kind of pizza (even store bought) EXCEPT Domino.

They are just plain awful.

I just ordered a Papa John's. Best delivery pizza ever. I haven't had one in probably ten years. But when I checked into my hotel a few minutes ago there was a leaflet for the local delivery outlet. Jackpot!

And since the wife isn't with me I got mushrooms, onions, sausage, green peppers, and black olives.

I just ordered a Papa John's. Best delivery pizza ever. I haven't had one in probably ten years. But when I checked into my hotel a few minutes ago there was a leaflet for the local delivery outlet. Jackpot!

And since the wife isn't with me I got mushrooms, onions, sausage, green peppers, and black olives.

That sounds pretty good!

• 3 weeks later...
I just ordered a Papa John's.

To me, going somewhere where I'm not familiar with the local pizza joints, Papa John's is usually safe. It's everywhere, but it's still pretty good stuff. Beats Domino's and Pizza Hut anyday.

I've gotta try Star and Candelari's, even if some say it's not the genuine article. Sounds like NY-style pizza gets imitated a little better here. (For that, I hit a little hole in the wall near Chimney Rock/Braeswood called Angelo's. They also have what they call a "Chicago-style" pizza but it's just a really thick crust, definitely not the real deal)

There's a place called Chicago Pizza on North Main just up from Airline that does deep dish. It's run by the same people who run Chicago Italian Beef on Airline at Calvacade. I've been to the latter - Vienna beef provisions but the sandwich was kind of skimpy, gardinera bar so you can select your own condiments, very greasy fries.

There's a place called Chicago Pizza on North Main just up from Airline that does deep dish. It's run by the same people who run Chicago Italian Beef on Airline at Calvacade. I've been to the latter - Vienna beef provisions but the sandwich was kind of skimpy, gardinera bar so you can select your own condiments, very greasy fries.

I've been to both places. I like the fries at Italian Beef - maybe you just caught them on an off day. Or maybe I just have a higher tolerance for grease. They're real potatoes as opposed to the extruded starch abominations that pass for fries at many places these days.

I was not at all impressed with Chicago Pizza, but I did not have the deep-dish pizza, only the thin-crust. Nothing to distinguish it from any other run-of-the-mill pizza place. I've only been there once, however, and that was not too long after they opened, so maybe they were still working out the kinks. I'll probably give them one more chance before declaring it a lost cause.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a take-out deep-dish pepperoni from Chicago Pizza yesterday. It actually reminded me of the old Chicago Pizza Company on Mandell where Cafe Artiste is now. I enjoyed it: the crust was soft and flavorful, and the sauce had a hint of tartness. The raised edges of the crust were burned but that's not a deal breaker. I would have liked to have seen more cheese and maybe some sliced tomatoes. The upshot for me is:

Not as much flavor as Star.

Not as rich and juicy as Gino's East.

Good value for the price (12.50 incl. tax for a 12" deep dish)

Worth a visit if you're in the area (I was), not worth driving all that far at $3.60+/gallon.

I've been to both places. I like the fries at Italian Beef - maybe you just caught them on an off day. Or maybe I just have a higher tolerance for grease. They're real potatoes as opposed to the extruded starch abominations that pass for fries at many places these days.

I tried Italian Beef, too. It was nothing like the italian beef I had in Chicago. The bread was a soggy mess and the jus was flavorless. The fries were slimy drippy with grease.

My favorite pizza in town is the pepperoni "pizzette" at Collina's on Richmond near the Edwards theater. The crust is amazing.

I tried Italian Beef, too. It was nothing like the italian beef I had in Chicago. The bread was a soggy mess and the jus was flavorless. The fries were slimy drippy with grease.

My favorite pizza in town is the pepperoni "pizzette" at Collina's on Richmond near the Edwards theater. The crust is amazing.

Flavorless, with soggy bread? Sounds very authentic!

I've tried Chicago beef at a dozen places in Chicago from neighborhood joints to the big touristy places. They all suck. It's like a dry, flavorless Philly Cheesesteak dipped in water.

Flavorless, with soggy bread? Sounds very authentic!

I've tried Chicago beef at a dozen places in Chicago from neighborhood joints to the big touristy places. They all suck. It's like a dry, flavorless Philly Cheesesteak dipped in water.

I had one from "Al's No. 1" that was exquisite. The bread stayed solid and the jus was delicious. I crave it at this very moment.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like we might have to pay a visit to Chicago Pizza!

And yes, Candelari's new Chicago-style deep dish (the "Wrigley Pie") is the closest thing to the real deal that I've found so far in Houston.

Candelari's deep dish is close, but not quite. Doesn't seem like the right crust to me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

We tried Candelari's deep dish tonight. It wasn't deep at all, I would call it pan pizza. There were 2 pieces without any sauce on them at all. It tasted fine, but definitely not deep dish.

The management there is pretty annoying as well. We attempted to call our order in for dine-in, because deep dish usually takes 30-40 minutes and 2 year olds don't just sit still forever, and they said no. Their reasoning was idiotic at best. "We can't save a table for you, if people come in we will seat them". Ok, fine. If we want to eat in, we'll wait for a table like everyone else. "We've been stiffed before where people don't show and we're stuck with the food". So, how is that any different than regular carryout? The fact that the manager bothered to try to make a big deal out of it when the place was 70% empty kinda pissed us off, so I don't know if we're going back. Every deep dish place we've been to, here and Chicago, even go so far as to suggest that you call ahead on their menu. Get with the program Candelari's.

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend is a big fan of Chicago and ever since I've known her all she talks about is finding some place in Houston that has pizza like she had in Chicago.

Star ain't it...wasn't anything "Chicago Deep Dish" about it.

We tried Candelari's, but nobody was even in the place...finally an employee came out and pointed to a little buffet with a bunch of old regular pizza on it and said "seat yourselves" then left. We walked out.

Barry's has a nice thick crust pizza...not Chicago style...just a thick crust. Good, but I don't really like thick crust. I like crust thin...even on a deep dish. (I prefer a flat NY style pizza, however...flatter the better.)

We got one at Chicago's Pizza before they closed. Not bad at all. Probably (I've never been to the city of Chicago...so I wouldn't know) the closest I've had to authentic. But, while good...it wasn't great. That whole place was wierd anyways.

So for my b-day this year, the girlfriend gave me a nice stand mixer. My first project....make some Chicago pizza dough. I found a recipe on the internet that was supposed to be like Uno's pizza, and used that for my basis.

Maybe it wasn't authentic Chicago pizza...maybe not even close. But it was a lot of fun to make, and she abosutely loves it. 2 months later and I've found she's still hoarding pieces of it in her freezer. :lol:

Here's some pics from my blog post: Rusty's Deep Dish Pizza

680389537_cWeUn-M.jpg

680386734_q2hk5-M.jpg

Rusty, recipe please!

Doh! Sorry! :lol:

I think it was this one I copied onto my computer: http://www.pizzamaking.com/deepdish.php

I used a couple of Chicago Metallic 9" pizza pie pans my GF picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond, and tried to make them like I'd seen on some pizza show on TV. A bottom layer of sliced mozzarella cheese, a whole layer of raw italian sausaged pressed flat, vegetables, tomatoes, and some parmesan on top.

On my second attempt with the deep dish pans, I drained most of the liquid off the San Marzano style tomatoes, and added canned spaghetti sauce to fill the pies up to the top. I also added pepperoni and Canadian bacon to a layer. They must have weighed 30 pounds each.

The stand mixer makes pizza production stupid-easy. You can make pizza dough in it faster than you can order a pitcher of beer at a pizza joint.

I made some thin-crust pizza as well...they came out especially ugly...but tasted awesome. Plus, my GF won't eat thin crust...so I keep it all to myself. :lol:http://www.faithpoison.com/2009/11/hip-to-be-square.html

Thanks, Rusty. Sounds awesome. But _raw_ sausage? Really?

I hear ya! I wondered about that as well...but it's how I saw them making it in some Chicago place on TV...so I gave it a shot.

Surprisingly, the sausage was almost OVER-cooked when I finally got brave enough to take it out of the oven. :lol:

Archived