Downtown CBD / Areas Outside Of Uptown

This is not a "my city is better than your city" post. I don't even live in Houston or Dallas anymore but here is the REAL truth as I see it.

The buildings in DT Dallas actually work against each other, like a haphazardly placed still life arrangement. As long as they are viewed individually SOME buildings are very nice. But as a whole, most of the buildings (especially the one's that NDTexan called out by name) compete for attention and the effect is jumbled and cluttered. As viewed as a collection, the eye bounces all over the place, like a poorly thought out page layout composed by a bad graphic designer, there is no focus or any direction. DT Dallas reminds of a person who wears too much jewelry. A strand of pearls might be nice, but if a person is draped in diamond broches, rings on every finger, and a sparkling tiara, all that junk works against each other and ruins the positives that each individual piece might ad. Sure there may be 'more bang for your buck' and variety, but clashing variety is not a good thing, it's as tacky as a collection of white trash Christmas ornaments standing out on a lawn in February. Another analogy might be that DT Dallas is like a group of singers, where everyone is trying to be the lead and no one wants to be the backing vocal. No harmony. Or a living room filled to the brim with trinkets on every available surface. Viewed seperately, there may be aethetic value, but as a whole it's just junk.

And its not just about having competing ornaments, it's also about style, placement, proximity, color, and hierarchy, none of which are done with any unity in DT Dallas. I know good aethetics are a personal thing, but the Dallas skyline lacks continuity, and any kind of composition, no matter how coincidental, no matter which angle it is viewed from. For me, DT Dallas has about as much grace and visual interest as graffiti. But hey, some people like graffiti. Just keep it out of my neighborhood please.

Fountain Place is a striking building, but it stands against the rest of the skyline like a sore thumb. It is completely removed from the rest of the skyscrapers as far as design style. Even the angles seem out of sync with the other towers with sloped roofs. It seems diametrically opposed, but yes it DOES stand out. The crap on top of the building with the big X's (I don't know what the name of it is anymore) is a complete eyesore, it looks kind of like a power plant or mini refinery 50 stories in the air and it affects everything around it. And I won't even go in to whats wrong with that blinking dandelion tower thing or that scrap heap of glass just below it. The buildings in Dallas stand out alright, but that is not a good thing if they work against everything else that surrounds it.

I imagine, if one is used to looking at the jumbled mess of DT Dallas all the time, DT Houston might seem tame by comparison. Just like classical music probably seems boring to people who like Paris Hilton songs or a Cezanne painting to people who like 'artwork' that you can plug in to a wall. I wouldn't call the Dallas skyline bland, it's kind of ugly as a whole, but not bland. And it's definately something that has the artistic merrit of something that has to be plugged in.

For me, the buildings in DT Houston have enough height variety, color, sloping rooftops, and textures to be visually interesting, and enough cohesion to make the majority of the buildings work together with some unity. Viewed from the north its as if the best buildings in DT Houston seem posed, facing Buffalo Bayou Park.

And before you Dallas guys break out the rope and torches on me, I want to add that it isn't like the Dallas skyline is beyond repair. With a little carefully thought out planning and several billion dollars worth of new skyscrapers, DT Dallas could be very nice one day. But not today, sorry.

Good Observation <_<

I hate to say it, but i gotta give the hand to Dallas on this one: both day and night.

Dallas's skyline might not be as massive, but the buildings are well-grouped and better organized. Plus Dallas does an awesome job lighting up their towers at night, which gives it more brownie points.

I hate to say it, but i gotta give the hand to Dallas on this one: both day and night.

Dallas's skyline might not be as massive, but the buildings are well-grouped and better organized. Plus Dallas does an awesome job lighting up their towers at night, which gives it more brownie points.

Oh the pitiful architecture of Johnson, Pei and there ilk.

houston7-1.jpg

SKDT1052.jpg

Densecity.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

The Dallas skyscrapers are about as well grouped and organized as a tornado stricken trailer park. As far as architecture goes, downtown Dallas is a train wreck.

Edited by Mister X

Thank you, Gary, for those photos; I know seen that skyline somewhere...

oz.jpg

So your discounting one of the worlds greatest modern architects?

Instead of arguing like a 12 year old, please give me a more educated response.

Find Your D Spot

http://www.yourdspot.com

Dallas launches playful ad campaign

08:46 AM CST on Saturday, February 17, 2007

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...as.783aa4c.html

Do you know where your D spot is?

That's the titillating question downtown Dallas businesspeople will ask area residents as part of a six-month, $500,000 marketing campaign aimed at luring them to the city's urban core.

The campaign, unveiled at business association DowntownDallas' annual meeting Friday, represents an aggressive, if not playful shift in the organization's effort to promote the center city's expanding stock of housing, restaurants, cultural facilities and entertainment offerings.

"Downtown no longer closes at 5 p.m., and it's time to spread that message, it's time to tell our story," said John Crawford, DowntownDallas' outgoing chairman.

A decade ago, just a couple hundred people lived in what was a comparatively desolate downtown. Today, downtown contains more than 2,600 housing units.

But Dallas' core remains saddled with a dearth of retail and service businesses. Many of the city's thousands of homeless people, meanwhile, live or loiter in the downtown area, often panhandling and sometimes accosting pedestrians. Overall crime is down, but a rash of downtown shooting incidents last year soured some residents' sense of safety.

"It comes with issues, but it's a wonderful blessing," property developer Ted Hamilton said of downtown's redevelopment. "The streets look totally different than they did 10 years ago."

Find your D Spot? D sounds so much like G. I'm not sure I would use that.

Edited by Trae

So your discounting one of the worlds greatest modern architects?

Instead of arguing like a 12 year old, please give me a more educated response.

I'm not discounting anyone; I thought this forum was supposed to be a joke.

The Emerald City, from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum, represents an island of civilization in a mystic world dominated by enchanted forests and wicked witches. In the 1939 film adaptation of the story, the Emerald City - tall, modern, and a consistent hue of green - represents a comforting, yet powerful beacon of order and wealth for people of all sizes throughout the Land of Oz. In a way, the Emerald City shares its roll with its brethren not far from the star of Kansas, Houston, Texas.

Much like the Enchanted Forest, Houston

The Emerald City, from the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum, represents an island of civilization in a mystic world dominated by enchanted forests and wicked witches. In the 1939 film adaptation of the story, the Emerald City - tall, modern, and a consistent hue of green - represents a comforting, yet powerful beacon of order and wealth for people of all sizes throughout the Land of Oz. In a way, the Emerald City shares its roll with its brethren not far from the star of Kansas, Houston, Texas.

I appreciate your clarification. Of course in your "hey, I can sound intelligent" rant, you've once again proven your childlike bias for the great, mighty, and master urban area we call Dallas.

Could you explain your interpretation of his comments as a bias for Dallas, when his post has no mention or reference to Dallas in it?

Could you explain your interpretation of his comments as a bias for Dallas, when his post has no mention or reference to Dallas in it?

Instead of giving you an itemized answer, I'll ask you to READ my initial statement (post 100) in which Mr Dalscaper was responding to. Hopefully that helps. <_<

Landmark gets another chance

500 South Ervay to be home to condos and retail

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ay.379f80d.html

12:43 AM CST on Friday, March 9, 2007

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

NATALIE CAUDILL/DMN

"The 510,000-square-foot, nine-story 500 South Ervay Building in its day was one of the most impressive commercial structures in Dallas. Los Angeles-based Bisno Development plans to create more than 400 residential units in the historic building across the street from Dallas City Hall. Condos will start at $180,000 and range upward to more than $600,000...."

".."They intend to restore this building to its original grandeur as a landmark for Dallas," said Andrew Bearden with Ebby Halliday. "It will look as close as it did originally as we can get it."....""We want to find the guy who came up with the idea of putting that on there and smack him around a little," Mr. Bearden said....Underneath layers of "decorative" concrete and stucco, much of the building's original Chicago-style architecture with decorative brickwork and arched windows remains intact...."

"....The current redevelopment will include about 45,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space plus construction of a new, larger parking garage....."

0309ervay.jpg

butlerbros.jpg

Edited by slfunk

Landmark gets another chance

500 South Ervay to be home to condos and retail

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ay.379f80d.html

12:43 AM CST on Friday, March 9, 2007

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

stevebrown@dallasnews.com

NATALIE CAUDILL/DMN

"The 510,000-square-foot, nine-story 500 South Ervay Building in its day was one of the most impressive commercial structures in Dallas. Los Angeles-based Bisno Development plans to create more than 400 residential units in the historic building across the street from Dallas City Hall. Condos will start at $180,000 and range upward to more than $600,000...."

".."They intend to restore this building to its original grandeur as a landmark for Dallas," said Andrew Bearden with Ebby Halliday. "It will look as close as it did originally as we can get it."....""We want to find the guy who came up with the idea of putting that on there and smack him around a little," Mr. Bearden said....Underneath layers of "decorative" concrete and stucco, much of the building's original Chicago-style architecture with decorative brickwork and arched windows remains intact...."

"....The current redevelopment will include about 45,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space plus construction of a new, larger parking garage....."

0309ervay.jpg

butlerbros.jpg

Cool building. Hope they can get all that "modernization" torn off succesfully. It really does remind me of something one would see in Chicago or St. Louis.

Cool building. Hope they can get all that "modernization" torn off succesfully. It really does remind me of something one would see in Chicago or St. Louis.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one.I really can't see how the developer even thought that what he did was better than the original building. :blink:

• 5 months later...

That was the style in the 1950's when they butchered that beautiful old building. The problem the new owners are having is....as they remove the old 50's crap, the old bricks are coming down with the "new" stucco like material. Test areas show how the old brick is too soft and crumbling as the 50's facade comes down. It looks as though it may be too expensive to save this building. Much less expensive to tear down and replace with something else.

I got that info from a contractor that has been on the job site....it is on hold until the owners decide how much money to dump into it.

• 3 months later...

Giving downtown Dallas a neighborhood feel

Revitalization making progress, but it's not easy or cheap

12:44 AM CST on Wednesday, December 5, 2007

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...own.19292a.html

By DAVE LEVINTHAL and ANGELA SHAH / The Dallas Morning News

dlevinthal@dallasnews.com; ashah@dallasnews.com

Within months, city officials expect to hit the halfway point on their quest to fill the downtown core with 10,000 residential units

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Finally, we may see some progress on this one soon...

New skyscraper is part of project planned for Dallas

09:51 PM CST on Monday, December 1, 2008

By JASON WHITELY / WFAA-TV

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa...r.206d107e.html

The Pillar Group, a Dallas development company, is moving forward with a $160-million plan for the deteriorating corner of Pacific Avenue and St. Paul Street on the east end of downtown Dallas.

The 77-year-old Tower Petroleum Building, which is located at 1907 Elm Street and is two doors down from the Majestic Theater, will become the five star boutique hotel, complete with 115 guest rooms.

But next door, at 1900 Pacific Avenue, the drab '50s-era office building will be demolished.

To be built in its small footprint will be the most ambitious part of the project, the skyscraper designed by world renowned architect Michael Graves.

"The tower height is planned to be 700-feet tall, 57 stories,