It's Official: Diversity Causes Misery

Toggle3

For decades, Americans have been bashed over the head with the politically-motivated multicultural mantra of "embrace diversity". Forget about unity. Homogeneous became a bad word. Year after year, elitist Left wing intellectuals pronounced from on high: "Suck it up whitebreads, diversity is a good thing and if you don't agree, then you're a racist bigot".

Only now, it's finally been scientifically proven what we've known all along, the 'embrace diverstiy' leftists are psychotic.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/art...e_of_diversity/

Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam discovered, to his liberal dismay, that diverse populations are miserable. His study found that the "greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote, the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity, the less they trust one another"!

Putnam was quite clear that the ethnic groups in these diverse communitites didn't hate each other, on the contrary; they were simply overwhelmed with a feeling of hopelessness and retreated, like turtles, away from civic life. He found that the more diverse a community is, the more dysfuntional it becomes!

All the diverse international flavors of Houston need to start assimilating into the American culture. A house divided can't stand and it apparently doesn't give a flying leap about the greater good either.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In his paper, Putnam cites the work done by Page and others, and uses it to help frame his conclusion that increasing diversity in America is not only inevitable, but ultimately valuable and enriching. As for smoothing over the divisions that hinder civic engagement, Putnam argues that Americans can help that process along through targeted efforts. He suggests expanding support for English-language instruction and investing in community centers and other places that allow for "meaningful interaction across ethnic lines."

LOL it was an interesting article. i do agree that there is less civic involvement now.

"Putnam's work adds to a growing body of research indicating that more diverse populations seem to extend themselves less on behalf of collective needs and goals."

Like will always attract like more easily that opposites attracting each other, and with today's tendencies toward not interacting with one's neighbors anyway, I'm not surprised at all by the results of this study. People need common goals and interests in order to create collective energy.

It's always seemed to me that the attraction for diversity among the educated class was more for an eye candy and feelgood experience about where they lived than about actually interacting with different people.

In Houston, the immigrants who speak spanish are especially difficult to interact with. Our civic club has tried everything we can think of to get them involved, with no results. I had an Amercian born hispanic man come up to me at National Night Out last week and, after hearing a speech about how neighborhoods used to interact with one another and watch out for each other, he says, "the Mexicans from Mexico don't want to have anything to do with me". My neighbor from Mexico has been rather friendly. But civic involvement? Fagetaboutit. Not interested and doesn't know how either. Concerns seem to end where his fence begins.

It's always seemed to me that the attraction for diversity among the educated class was more for an eye candy and feelgood experience about where they lived than about actually interacting with different people.

so this is why you settled down in Pecan Park? eye candy? ;)

Yeah, the Latinas around here are hot and they feel good too! :P

But seriously, I liked the idea of living inner city and the house was a real find. My being fluent in spanish and having a lot of experience with Mexicans allowed for a more comfortable transition for me than it would have been had I not ever lived or interacted with that culture before. I was able to be a pioneer and get a jump on gentrification due to being somewhat bi-cultural.

Fear of the unknown was minimal.

LOL it was an interesting article. i do agree that there is less civic involvement now.

I don't know about that. I just think Katrina took a big chunk out of us, and those of us that would help and are willing are STILL very tired from it. I like diversity, and obviously "Mr. Harvard Professor" has never visited Houston, so he gets a big ..l., !!!

I don't know about that. I just think Katrina took a big chunk out of us, and those of us that would help and are willing are STILL very tired from it. I like diversity, and obviously "Mr. Harvard Professor" has never visited Houston, so he gets a big ..l., !!!

katrina is a one time event. what do you normally that would be considered civic involvement?

katrina is a one time event. what do you normally that would be considered civic involvement?

I help my fellow HAIFers when they are in need. I am courteous to others on the roads around town. I help coach a youth soccer team. Yadda yadda yadda.

Were you just born mean and bitter or just so deep in the closet that you have an irresistable need to vent your skank? Get a grip, gayboy and get some help. Please put us out of your misery.

(escaped from MD and posted from Reliant in the 2nd as our Texans lead (barely)...

Were you just born mean and bitter or just so deep in the closet that you have an irresistable need to vent your skank? Get a grip, gayboy and get some help. Please put us out of your misery.

(escaped from MD and posted from Reliant in the 2nd as our Texans lead (barely)...

And the point of this post wasn't mean and bitter? :closedeyes: It certainly wasn't topical.

What the hell? I had to re-read the thread to make sure I didn't miss something. As usual, you are out in left field - all alone. Stop posting drunk.

Now, back on topic. I can give three examples of how this is true.

1. I have a white friend who lives in (as far as I can tell) an all white enclave of the Woodlands. He is very invloved with his neighborhood, and after only living there for a year, he damn near knows every one in a three-block radius by first name, and can even tell you what they do for a living.

2. I have a friend who is black and lives in an all black community in the Willow Ridge area (BW8 & Fondren). Same exact scenario as my white friend. He knows everyone, everyone knows him, and they're all involved with their community.

3. My neighborhood is a perfect mix of white, black, hispanic & asian. I know my neighbors one house to the left, and one house to the right. I've been there for two years now and have yet to meet more than 5 other neighbors on my street. We (myself, wife, & baby-girl) are in the yard at least 3 nights every week, yet hardly anyone wants to walk, or when we walk, no one is outside. Like the article states, everyone retreats to their home and locks the door. We've gone to all our neighborhood HOA meetings as well and each time the same 25-40 people show up.

Maybe my neighborhood is the exception to the rule, but I doubt it is not.

As usual, you are out in left field - all alone.
Actually sounds like he's made the professor's study sound all more plausible. Diversity does cause misery. B)
We've gone to all our neighborhood HOA meetings as well and each time the same 25-40 people show up.
25-40? your neighborhood should feel lucky. there are many that wish they could get that many to go.

Houston's neighborhoods (in terms of houses, and in terms of separation of houses and apartments) tend to be homogeneous. I see racial mixing in public places (schools, stores, libraries, etc) in Houston.

That's been my experience as well. They say diversity should be valued because of the different ideas and perspectives that different people bring. Of course, when you bring different ideas and perspectives on the very subject of diversity, you find out that it's not what they mean at all. I've discovered that their true definition of diversity is people who look different from each other but think alike.

Houston's neighborhoods (in terms of houses, and in terms of separation of houses and apartments) tend to be homogeneous. I see racial mixing in public places (schools, stores, libraries, etc) in Houston.

Au contraire. There is no meangingful racial mixing anywhere in this city...even with the eyecandy in Pecan Park (what does that mean?)...that's the point of the study. Diverse populations, (and it's not limited to diversity of skin color) have less trust and are less productive than those communities who are on the same page together embracing similar values.

And FYI, simply walking past someone of a different color in the library or Krogers doesn't count as racial mixing Vic. Just take a look at HISD, prime example of diversity and completely dysfuntional! Their schools and administration have a lot of diversity but are segregated by race, gang, and immigration status...miserable places and completely substandard.

Diversity is overrated. We have the proof. The question is how to unifiy. Maybe we can start by convincing some of our neighbors to take down their Mexican flags.

In Houston, the immigrants who speak spanish are especially difficult to interact with. Our civic club has tried everything we can think of to get them involved, with no results. I had an Amercian born hispanic man come up to me at National Night Out last week and, after hearing a speech about how neighborhoods used to interact with one another and watch out for each other, he says, "the Mexicans from Mexico don't want to have anything to do with me". My neighbor from Mexico has been rather friendly. But civic involvement? Fagetaboutit. Not interested

Hit the nail on the head.

There are no excuses for not getting involved. The part of it being a language barrier is bull. Our Super Neighborhood gatherings are spoken in both languages if needed. Majority of these people are ready to whine and gripe but how bad the surroundings are but truth is they are lazy. Period. I can go into detail but all of you know from my/others past postings. 20-25 years ago I can attest that 85% of our area used to participate in most community events. Majority fled for the burbs and with all the renters that are now here-yeah, Fagetabouit. They have the I'm only passing through" mentality. They just party and destroy the place until they get busted, etc. (There are many ex-cons in these areas folks)

Now if they started having free beer at these Community Events you will have a packed house. Ola! :wacko:

There are no excuses for not getting involved. The part of it being a language barrier is bull. Our Super Neighborhood gatherings are spoken in both languages if needed.
i've been to the superneighborhood meetings in your area several times in the last yr, they are about as wonder bread as you can get.

Tj, I think you should give rides in ye old Chevelle to all of us who aren't allowed to have sports cars. That to me is civic involvement. :P

Gary, I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE ! The Cutlass is strictly off-limits

btw, musicman, by using your "WonderBread" logic, are you inferring that only white people actually CARE about what's going on in their communities ? Do you live in this "superneighborhood" ?

Gary, I have to draw the line SOMEWHERE ! The Cutlass is strictly off-limits

btw, musicman, by using your "WonderBread" logic, are you inferring that only white people actually CARE about what's going on in their communities ? Do you live in this "superneighborhood" ?

Ooops, I meant Cutlass, not Chevelle. Oh what the hell they both start with C. :P

it's adjacent to the one i'm in. they've mentioned merging several times but i think it would probably be more effective if everyone has their own superneighborhood.

i'm strictly talking this superneighborhood.

Archived