Mid-Century Modern Open House Sunday 2 PM

Koop

• 4 weeks later...

This house is Houston Mod's Mod of the Month for September 2007. Here is the official invitation:

Join us at the September 2007 Mod of the Month!

The September Mod of the Month is an Eichler-esque Fifties Ranch with clerestory windows. Much of this house's original charm remains! Features include an open floor-plan, post and beam architecture, refinished red-oak floors throughout, indoor planting area, vaulted ceiling in living & dining rooms, massive backyard (9563 sf lot), free-standing mid-century modern conical fireplace, pocket doors, new insulation in attic, new roof turbines, and new Pella ThermaStar enery-efficient windows in all bedrooms. The house is close to Braes Bayou Hike & Bike Trail.

The house will be open Sunday, September 9th from 2-5pm

hr1967672-29.jpg

8715 McAvoy Drive

HAR Listing for more pictures, map, pricing details, etc.

See you there,

Houston Mod

Come see this nice mod house at a nice price. It's loaded with desirable features not often so affordably found. Houston Mod publications and membership information will be available.

Here is another 1959 contemporary open house in nearby Meyerland at 9406 North Braesheather Court. It is huge and all jacked up.

HAR Info

hr1992204-13.jpg

Open 1 - 4 PM Sunday

Domus,

Have you been in both houses or do you just mean the exteriors are very similar?

Thanks for confirming this. Floyd and Jenkins were both active in Robindell and the surrounding area.

Jason

I would say without a doubt that it is a William Floyd design as it is nearly identical to 12851 Memorial (go to: www.memorialbendarchitecture.com).

Domus,

Have you been in both houses or do you just mean the exteriors are very similar?

Thanks for confirming this. Floyd and Jenkins were both active in Robindell and the surrounding area.

Jason

Well, I have been in the 12851 Memorial location (that's another story). It's difficult to tell if the floorplans are the same as I cannot discern the layout of the 8715 McAvoy via the HAR images. If you attended the aforementioned location, you can verify the following:

Entry to the house is via the right side toward the rear. One enters a living area -- with large floor to roof windows facing the backyard -- a dining area is off to the side. Immediately off the dining area is a large kitchen opening to a family room. All bedrooms at the Memorial location were on the street side with a through corridor spanning the length of the house. Bathroom near the center of the corridor with the master bath abutting a corner of the main bath, Master bedroom to the right as you face the street.

Now the layout noted above may not be the same as the McAvoy location as the Memorial location may have been extensively remodeled. I would say that the most curious aspect of the design is the location of the bedrooms on the street side.

So, are the two floor plans similar?

In the McAvoy house, the entry is on the right of the house and you walk into the living room which has the celestory windows on the front of the house. You turn right to go back to the bedrooms. There are pocket doors that connect the kitchen to the front living room.

So it sounds like the structure is basically the same but the inside is flipped around.

I still agree that it's 90% likely a Floyd design. But it's like a prolific artist, you are more likely to attribute a work to him/her because they were so prolific.

Jason

Well, I have been in the 12851 Memorial location (that's another story). It's difficult to tell if the floorplans are the same as I cannot discern the layout of the 8715 McAvoy via the HAR images. If you attended the aforementioned location, you can verify the following:

Entry to the house is via the right side toward the rear. One enters a living area -- with large floor to roof windows facing the backyard -- a dining area is off to the side. Immediately off the dining area is a large kitchen opening to a family room. All bedrooms at the Memorial location were on the street side with a through corridor spanning the length of the house. Bathroom near the center of the corridor with the master bath abutting a corner of the main bath, Master bedroom to the right as you face the street.

Now the layout noted above may not be the same as the McAvoy location as the Memorial location may have been extensively remodeled. I would say that the most curious aspect of the design is the location of the bedrooms on the street side.

So, are the two floor plans similar?

Archived