Real Estate Services Advice

For those of you who read my dreadlock topic, you know that I'm moving to Houston and am searching for a new career.

Maybe I blend in w/ the crowd. If not, you may have noticed my love for the city and my desire for it to evolve into a great place for the current and future residents to live.

I don't know all the ways I can do that through a career, especially w/ my experience, but I figured one way is by just being a part of a company who is doing that. So, I'm looking into real estate development companies like CB Richard Ellis.

They have one opening called Real Estate Services Assistant, which by its description basically sounds like an Admin. Assistant. But I figured if I want to some day be a major player and be a real decision maker, this might be the best route for me to go since I'll see all the different kinds of operations going on that will give me a base of knowledge to build off of.

For those of you in the industry, would you recommend this route? Or are there other types of jobs that a company like this might have which will get my foot in the door and help me learn the business, even when I don't have any directly related experience?

Thanks

For those of you who read my dreadlock topic, you know that I'm moving to Houston and am searching for a new career.

Maybe I blend in w/ the crowd. If not, you may have noticed my love for the city and my desire for it to evolve into a great place for the current and future residents to live.

I don't know all the ways I can do that through a career, especially w/ my experience, but I figured one way is by just being a part of a company who is doing that. So, I'm looking into real estate development companies like CB Richard Ellis.

They have one opening called Real Estate Services Assistant, which by its description basically sounds like an Admin. Assistant. But I figured if I want to some day be a major player and be a real decision maker, this might be the best route for me to go since I'll see all the different kinds of operations going on that will give me a base of knowledge to build off of.

For those of you in the industry, would you recommend this route? Or are there other types of jobs that a company like this might have which will get my foot in the door and help me learn the business, even when I don't have any directly related experience?

Thanks

You might try reading this to start.

One path that'd work out would be to try taking just about any office job you can get in the industry to start. Just make sure that it'll give you exposure to the operations of the firm--receptionist doesn't count. If you spend a year or two there, using nights or weekends to take some finance and accounting coursework, and also periodically take ULI coursework towards the completion of a certificate, you should be very well prepared to move up to the next level. At that point, you leverage your ULI membership to network to find a job that fits your tastes (or advance within the same company if possible).

I'll PM you if I come across anything that looks good.

• The title was changed to Real Estate Services Advice

Archived