renting in Austin

sttombiz

Does anyone here know the best places to rent in inside the city close to UT or in downtown. I dont know the city that well at all. Is there a HAR.com type site for the Austin area or another type of renting or leasing database to search places in Austin. A forum perhaps?

Does anyone here know the best places to rent in inside the city close to UT or in downtown. I dont know the city that well at all. Is there a HAR.com type site for the Austin area or another type of renting or leasing database to search places in Austin. A forum perhaps?

craigslist listings go very fast, so dont bother. i would recommend just driving the neighborhood. you can find a way better deal that way. you can also check some realtor websites, such as 512 realty (imo expensive) or mykeyproperties.com. the ut newspaper also has a website dedicated for housing. pm me if you want more specific info.

I swear by the Mopac @ Far West area. Close to EVERYTHING, and it is nice and quiet. Get yourself a nice duplex to rent for the same price of an apartment, and you only have to worry about disturbing or being disturbed by ONE neighbor.

Research Blvd area. Just exit and drive down Research and physically get off an inquire at the many units around there. Buses could take you anywhere. You would be near Lamar for example. Takes you straight into UT campus and all of the action.

• 10 months later...
Research Blvd area. Just exit and drive down Research and physically get off an inquire at the many units around there. Buses could take you anywhere. You would be near Lamar for example. Takes you straight into UT campus and all of the action.

Vertigo, you do realize the Research Blvd. aka 183 is a Highway ?

the answer to this really depends so much on your budget

West campus, downtown, up I35 to the west off of 50th, north campus

It has been a while since I lived there and I know east of I35 has improved some (even saw a flipper show there) but you still will have the most crime there or down east off of pleasant valley

as your budget shrinks the more you get to 183 or down off of south congress with 183 being the better area as far as crime

I swear by the Mopac @ Far West area. Close to EVERYTHING, and it is nice and quiet. Get yourself a nice duplex to rent for the same price of an apartment, and you only have to worry about disturbing or being disturbed by ONE neighbor.

the girl i've been seeing in austin for the past 2 years lives off of far west... definitely a solid part of town for a lot less than what one would pay further in. i lived in a condo in tarrytown right off of enfield and mopac... now that location was SWEET. minutes from downtown, UT, lower lamar, zilker/barton springs/south 1st, soco, town lake.... man, i miss living there.

but your budget will ultimately be the deciding the factor. try north hyde park area if you have a little more to play with but dont want to go as high as west campus/clarksville/downtown area. the farther north and south the cheaper.

Well, just got back from Austin this evening. Got the house thing all squared away. I will be in the Brentwood area just off Koenig by First Texas Honda. I am stoked. Love Houston to death, but there is just something about Austin. Can't wait to say "HI !" to Leslie.

Archived