Lewis S. Maguire Architect - Engineer

I do not find any information of him being a registered architect in Texas. Do the plans have an architects and or engineers seal?

The only Lewis S. Maguire in the United States is shown to be age 83 and lives in Martins Ferry, Ohio. His wife is listed as Dorothy E. Maguire, age 81, also of Martins Ferry.

The address 4211 Leeland is not listed in the 1966 Houston Cole's Directory. The closest address is 4209 Leeland and it was occupied by J. W. Holland and Wayne Holland, Engineers with Ernest Knox.

Good luck and let us know your research results.

Does anyone have any information on Lewis S. Maguire who was an architect - engineer who designed and built at least one mod in Glenbrook Valley in 1957. On the original plans for the house, his office address was 4211 Leeland.

and just an FYI for those that arent familiar, 4211 Leeland is on the edge of Eastwood subdivision on Near East End. That means the office was right next to or in the old Ballatori's Italian Restaurant building (still there) or as I mentioned, possibly next door to it. This neighborhood was upper middle class then.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt...S&geodiff=1

Glenbrook Valley still has some of the most beautiful modern homes ever made in Houston. They are as nice as the ones that line or lined MacGregor area and S. Braewood Blvd in their day (and now). :P

Edited by Vertigo58

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Does anyone have any information on Lewis S. Maguire who was an architect - engineer who designed and built at least one mod in Glenbrook Valley in 1957. On the original plans for the house, his office address was 4211 Leeland.

I know some of the family members of Lewis S. Maguire, architect from Houston. Mr. Maguire passed away, his wife Nancy and three children survive. If the nature of your inquiry is personal, I MAY be able to help you...

rob21erto

Yet another one of my Glenbrook favorites...the nabe has an extraordinary architectural history. Would like to (one day) see a list of them all (address with architect).

That little pocket in Glenbrook Valley where that house is has always seemed like a small section of our fair city that does not look like Houston.

If they filmed a movie there and described as Bel Air, CA or Brentwood, CA you would think it was in California. The cool cul de sacs and steep embankments display the homes perfectly. Even though some were built 50 plus years ago, I personally would dive into owning one of them today. It's a miracle this area or nabe has ever been cordoned off from the nearby traffic.

These homes seem to have been made for the upper middle class set when Houston was really booming. Most appear to have been made to entertain business clients and for evening cocktail parties & soiree's. Glenbrook Valley is a one of a kind everyone. :D

That little pocket in Glenbrook Valley where that house is has always seemed like a small section of our fair city that does not look like Houston.

If they filmed a movie there and described as Bel Air, CA or Brentwood, CA you would think it was in California. The cool cul de sacs and steep embankments display the homes perfectly. Even though some were built 50 plus years ago, I personally would dive into owning one of them today. It's a miracle this area or nabe has ever been cordoned off from the nearby traffic.

These homes seem to have been made for the upper middle class set when Houston was really booming. Most appear to have been made to entertain business clients and for evening cocktail parties & soiree's. Glenbrook Valley is a one of a kind everyone. :D

I was noticing while using MSN LiveSearch - Birdseye view (thnx again BrerRabbit), almost everyone on the north end (@ Stony Dell area) had a swimming pool. Sign of the elite times...you can tell it was a "wealthy" area.

The new aerial search maps are unbelievably clear...amazing technology we have now folks!

I was noticing while using MSN LiveSearch - Birdseye view (thnx again BrerRabbit), almost everyone on the north end (@ Stony Dell area) had a swimming pool. Sign of the elite times...you can tell it was a "wealthy" area.

The new aerial search maps are unbelievably clear...amazing technology we have now folks!

Correct!

I am also sure that most people there also had maids and groundskeepers (like Hazel in her uniform). :lol: If you can believe even our own Broadmoor area had maids or housekeepers for decades. By the 70's they slowly went away since most of the elderly owners were slowly passing away. Like Driving Miss Daisy film.

Swimming pools have been improved tremendously. If only they started placing them all over this area. Great selling feature! Whole new topic for sure.

• 5 weeks later...

I think a lot of people had maids back then. Even we had one and we were just a working class family. Her name was Othea and granted she only came once a week. She worked for a lot of people in the neighborhood. I once remember seeing her at a friend's house one day and I felt betrayed somewhat, like, "Hey, that's my maid, what's she doing working here."

I felt sorry for her sometimes, because the bus line only came out as far as Chimney Rock and we were two blocks beyond that.

She wasn't "Hazel" though.

• 2 years later...

Lewis S. Maguire also designed Sam Rayburn High School in Pasadena, a Wright-influenced building with lots of horizontal lines, in 1964.

The 1962 AIA directory lists his principal works as elementary schools: Pomeroy, Jackson (Jr High) and Williams in Pasadena. Hambrick Jr High in Houston.

Edited by sdmarc

• 11 years later...