Beaumont huge downtown plans

UNLV

Granted there just may not be much to report on at the moment... I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't anything substantial about this for a while.

On the plus side, I'm glad that someone has an interest in improving downtown Beaumont. Crockett Street was a great first step and it's nice to see that there's brisk business at the restaurants along that strip. It is disappointing though to see the amount of abandoned storefronts with broken glass (or in some cases none at all) and mildew smells only a few blocks away which remind you of the atrocious state that nearby DT Port Arthur is in. I doubt Beaumont would ever be in that dire of a situation since they do have fairly decent sized buildings which are occupied, but again it does give me hope that there is still bit of civic pride in their downtown.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Channel DT Beaumont is changing for the better fast. The city is moving the railyard behind the civic center to develope the riverfront. They mentioned

a hotel a while ago, but I don't know the status on that project. This canal and a big park with a lake was also planned. New Condo's near the Basilica.

If they could pull this off, this would attract more investors.

Channel DT Beaumont is changing for the better fast. The city is moving the railyard behind the civic center to develope the riverfront. They mentioned

a hotel a while ago, but I don't know the status on that project. This canal and a big park with a lake was also planned. New Condo's near the Basilica.

If they could pull this off, this would attract more investors.

I agree. I saw some of the new housing around there on my last visit just a couple of weekends back. Suprised at that bit of development actually. I didn't realize it was condos though. Personally, I like Beaumont. That's why the few bad blocks that stick out at me since Beaumont actually has a bit of vitality going for it. Lots of opportunity there if someone is willing to capitalize upon it. Port Arthur has always been a sore thumb since I've had to pass through there a great number of times on my way to my aunt's place in Sabine Pass.

Personally, I'd also love to see someone restore the Tonahill building at Orleans & Bowie.

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

I thought I'd read somewhere in the not-too-distant past that someone had intended to build another large building downtown. Was it the hotel you mentioned, an office building or just a general pipe dream kinda thing?

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, that building is very nice architecture. Maybe once all the other projects start someone will come along.

Port Arthur lags Beaumont. Port Arthur is currently making the same mistakes Beaumont made in the late 80's.

I think in a few years they will figure it out.

My guess would be a hotel. They talked about bringing a hotel for years. Too bad the city imploded the LaSalle hotel.

That would have been a beautiful restored high rise hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
Granted there just may not be much to report on at the moment... I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't anything substantial about this for a while.

On the plus side, I'm glad that someone has an interest in improving downtown Beaumont. Crockett Street was a great first step and it's nice to see that there's brisk business at the restaurants along that strip. It is disappointing though to see the amount of abandoned storefronts with broken glass (or in some cases none at all) and mildew smells only a few blocks away which remind you of the atrocious state that nearby DT Port Arthur is in. I doubt Beaumont would ever be in that dire of a situation since they do have fairly decent sized buildings which are occupied, but again it does give me hope that there is still bit of civic pride in their downtown.

2 buildings were razed downtown in the last 2 weeks, I hear 4 more is on the list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There is alot of re-vitalization going on but not on a scale like here in Houston. I think that drawing up top is definitely a pipe dream. Where would they get good clean water? Have you walked down by the Neches near downtown!

You might be talking about Rick Clark's plans to build/finish the Cathedral Square residential and commercial properties. There are aleready some residents of some townhomes, but the whole thing is still in the works.

Then some developer called Rehab is restoring teh ol' Neches Electric buuiding and some others for residential use.

I think I've heard some interest from the Penland's for residential use as well.

I think with that many residential interests in the area, some more commercial use as well as restaurants could be viable. And they can keep some of the history like that Dr. did with the Coale building when Suga's went up.

Well ill quit ranting now...

Edited by pookrat

I only get the Enterprise on Sundays and remember reading an article about that early December. Thats how I recalled the other thoughts. I went and looked and found the article on their site. (horrible search engine by the way) I am originally from Orangefield and have only been over here for about 7 years. Still go back all the time though. Friends and Family and whatnot.

And I guess you are right, it mentions an Event Center and Waterway type thing. Although I doubt it will look as fancy as the drawing. That is good news...

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

Have you heard anything on the retail/shopping center planned for Dwolen Road? I had read about that sometime around September if I remember correctly? Could have been alot earlier. Was supposed to be like the woodlands or sugarland with shops and restaurans on the first floors then lofts on the second and third. It was being planned by a couple but I can't for the life of me remember their name.

Have you heard anything on the retail/shopping center planned for Dwolen Road? I had read about that sometime around September if I remember correctly? Could have been alot earlier. Was supposed to be like the woodlands or sugarland with shops and restaurans on the first floors then lofts on the second and third. It was being planned by a couple but I can't for the life of me remember their name.

I think you might be talking about Metropolitan Park. Pretty interesting plan for North Beaumont, since most of that is pretty much suburban and strip center territory where it is already developed. Lots of free land in that part of town though.

At least it's not closer to the mall... The traffic around Dowlen & the Eastex Fwy is brutal most of the day from what I've encountered.

That's it! And the site says they have begun construction. I might be moving back soon and would be looking for a condo and the ones downtown don't really appeal to me. That site and location looks great. You could skip everything by hoping on Folsom if ya needed. Where exactly is it? The picture looks like it is accross from those offices that house The Pablano Grill. That would be a perfect location. Their Potential Tenant Offerings sound interesting if they can get all of that in that location.

And I doubt Beaumont traffic will ever be an issue after getting used to the crap we have over here. Specially during the holidays like we just dealt with... ;)

Sorry for going off topic and being a pain...

Edited by pookrat

I only get the Enterprise on Sundays and remember reading an article about that early December. Thats how I recalled the other thoughts. I went and looked and found the article on their site. (horrible search engine by the way) I am originally from Orangefield and have only been over here for about 7 years. Still go back all the time though. Friends and Family and whatnot.

And I guess you are right, it mentions an Event Center and Waterway type thing. Although I doubt it will look as fancy as the drawing. That is good news...

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

Pook, I think you will be in for a surprise when you find out who is behind that river project.

That's it! And the site says they have begun construction. I might be moving back soon and would be looking for a condo and the ones downtown don't really appeal to me. That site and location looks great. You could skip everything by hoping on Folsom if ya needed. Where exactly is it? The picture looks like it is accross from those offices that house The Pablano Grill. That would be a perfect location. Their Potential Tenant Offerings sound interesting if they can get all of that in that location.

And I doubt Beaumont traffic will ever be an issue after getting used to the crap we have over here. Specially during the holidays like we just dealt with... ;)

Sorry for going off topic and being a pain...

Metropark is already under construction. It is located where the old west end YMCA once stood. The city will be Ok-ing a $400 million medical center on Folsom soon.

And a new high-rise in downtown Beaumont coming.

Edited by UNLV

Just a rumor, I heard there is some type of link to this project and the people who built Kemah....

You mentioned that earlier but they have never really had much of a presence in the GT. Joe's was their only restaurant in town and they sold that whole chain off. Plus they have not been in the greatest situation financially lately and are just starting to get back on their feet. I'm guessing that Walter has his fingers in it somehow. Come on... Spill tha beans mang!!!

Walter is not ther only Billionaire living in Beaumont. The family that owns/started the Landry corp still lives in Beaumont.

This is why most people think they are behind this river project.

Huh? Wha? OK, now I'm awake.

Details, man! We need details!

I think it will be announced soon.

I knew there were alot of Fertita's in Beaumont. Never really knew if they were closely related. I thought Tillman grew up in Galveston. I spoke with a few other people who also said that they thought Landry's was behind it. If so all the better... Just wouldn't have thought that...

Oh and I also heard that they are already signing up retailers for teh Metro Park thing. Rumor has it that Frankie that owns Madison's is going to have some sort of restaurant venue there. Should be a real nice selection of small restaurants, bars, and shops.

Edited by pookrat

• 1 month later...
Looks like any development at all will be some time out. A minimum 2-3 years before they can even break ground. But progress is progress... I ain't holding my breath though...

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

No Pook, The riverfront will be the last part to start because the tracks are in the way. The downtown lake is the first part and that will begin soon. The lake will be west of the downtown area. Once the lake is complete, a river through downtown will be dug. Finally the river walk.

Edited by UNLV

• 2 months later...