Sign in to follow this  
editor

West University Place makes Forbes top list of urban enclaves

don't get depressed lockmat, look at some of the traits in this URBAN enclave.

low population density, high-income residents, and high-priced homes.

Edited by musicman

who'd a thunk it...something Houston can't stand:

"The one way that neighborhood character is maintained is if areas have been designated landmarks or if the type of architecture in a particular neighborhood is protected in some way," says Deborah Fischer, a broker at Koenig & Strey in Chicago. Here, strict zoning laws in the outlying suburbs force citywide expansion, which can make it difficult for Chicago's urban neighborhoods to maintain their character. "That way, new construction builds on the neighborhood character, rather than trying to change it."

don't get depressed lockmat, look at some of the traits in this URBAN enclave.

low population density, high-income residents, and high-priced homes.

West U and Southside Place have density figures about 2.5 times more dense than the overall city of Houston. Those two enclaves average about 7,000 folks per square mile which is fairly dense for this part of the country.

West U and Southside Place have density figures about 2.5 times more dense than the overall city of Houston. Those two enclaves average about 7,000 folks per square mile which is fairly dense for this part of the country.

Ya think that might be because they're entirely built out, have few parks, and have very little in the way of commercial properties? Maybe it has something to do with Houston having an airport that enclave residents use with disproportionate frequency but in which no citizens of Houston live; perhaps it has to do with the massive distribution centers in Houston that stock the grocery stores in Houston in which residents of the enclaves shop. Or a huge lake, a system of bayous, and a couple of reservoirs that between them all provide drinking water and open recreational areas to the enclaves while keeping them from being flooded out.

Perhaps, more to the point, it has to do with Houston's ability to annex outward (an act that decreases average density without actually changing anyone's circumstances) and the enclaves' inability to do so, a fact which renders any comparison of densities between such small residential enclaves and a big city utterly meaningless.

Edited by TheNiche

Hey Niche, last I checked we WestU residents pay lots of County Taxes that fund lots of those things you listed. We also pay HISD taxes. And we're a part of Metro.

Edited by texas911

i thought this was interesting..."where city conveniences add comfort to the delights of living out a little." :D

westu24sm.jpg

I like old photos of West U. There was absolutely nothing around it but bare coastal prarie. It really was "out a little"...

Edited by Dan the Man

I've seen some other old advertisements for West U back when it was a distant suburb and think they're really cool. Any idea where I could get a hold of one? I asked over at the antiquarium if they had ever come across any and they had not.

Is River Oaks chopped liver?

RO is part of Houston. "Enclave" refers to cities that are totally surrounded by another city.

Any part of inner Houston that gets good and possitive national press work for me.

This is the place to be. :D Forbes was right on!

Take a drive around West U nabes on a nice sunny day or evening and see why. The business areas are alive and thriving at night with plenty to do. University crowd abound.