This Tuesday - City Council Hearing on Landmarks

tmariar

This Tuesday (8/7/07) at 2:00 p.m. is the City Council hearing on landmark designation for the River Oaks Shopping Center and the Alabama Shopping Center. (Background information regarding the significance of the City Council vote is available from this HAIF thread - I won't try to summarize it here.) My understanding is that people who have previously spoken at City Council hearings on this topic are not allowed to speak again, and so supporters of landmark designation are seeking new speakers. Here's the info I got:

(1) Speakers will each have just one minute to talk. (So speakers' comments will likely be more in the nature of the short remarks that people have left on the petition, as opposed to actual speeches.)

(2) The hearing will be in City Hall (900 Bagby) itself (not the annex), on the second floor. The hearing starts at 2:00.

(3) To sign up to speak, call the city secretary (Anna Russell) by dialing "311". The deadline to sign up is noon on Tuesday.

This is second-hand info, but I thought I'd pass it on, as it seems like a chance not just to speak on behalf of the shopping centers and theaters, but also to demonstrate public interest in historical preservation issues. I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so that I can speak or at least attend.

[sorry - I've edited this a couple of times now because I've seen conflicting information. It appears from the City Council agenda that the public comments will heard on Tuesday, August 7, at 2:00. My guess is that the item on the agenda for Wednesday, August 8, would be the vote, as opposed to the public comments.]

just to clarify, the public hearing is tomorrow, Tuesday, at 2pm and the City Council vote is Wednesday the 8th

Thanks - I caught the error in my post but forgot to change the title. Should be correct now.

• 3 months later...
Any update on landmark designation? I've always thought that either or both of those theaturs would make a great Alamo Drafthouse. We really need one of those inside the loop. ...And a Rudy's BBQ, but that's another topic.

How about we just drop the pretense and start referring to our region as part of Central Texas?

How about we just drop the pretense and start referring to our region as part of Central Texas?

Hay now! Why don't you just drop the pretense and tell me you are an aggy. I'm kidding, of course.

But it doesn't have to be an Alamo Draft House theater. I just like the independent theaters that serve food and alcohol, and play both cult classics and new releases. Both theaters seem to be the right size. They are not, however, big enough to compete with the Edwards 24 monstrosities.

I stand by my Rudy

Archived