John P. McGovern Texas Medical Center Commons/TMC Garage 15 At 6550 Bertner Ave.

Subdude

Texas Medical Center Commons provides oasis for staff, visitors

Thora Qaddumi

Houston Business Journal

Work began this week on a new phase of the building that has become the cornerstone of the Texas Medical Center -- the John P. McGovern Texas Medical Center Commons.

Over the next five months, an enclosed skyway connecting the Commons with the newly completed M.D. Anderson Cancer Research Center will be built, and the McGovern Gardens, a landscaped outdoor dining area, will take form.

Full story

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
3175534908_75970838a9_o.jpg

Picture from: photolitherland on SSP

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...23&page=118

I did not realize that the Medical Center was booming like it is.

I work in the Med Center. FYI, that is a food court. It has some good stuff. I go there once or twice a week. Its got a nice restaurant at the top of the waterfall that I haven't been to yet.

• Like 1

It's not new, but it's not all that old, either.

It was just being completed when I saw it in late 2003, I think. I believe it's a parking garage with a food court on the top level.

According to this, it opened in September 2002.

It does include a parking garage, but Kylejack is correct; the food court is on ground level. There is a nice restaurant (Trevisio) on the top level along with conference facilities.

• Like 1

The food court is on the ground floor, the top floor is a restaurant.

Right. I've eaten at the food court a few times. It's actually a nice setup. They've got a little walkway with outdoor tables out front, and bus stops are located at the north and south corners of the intersection between Bertner and Moursund. It's been a while, but I used to retreat from downtown at lunch to meet a friend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I work in the Med Center and I wished that food court had dinner hours for us who work later shifts! Ben Taub's cafeteria is really bad, and the adjacent Mickey D's doesn't help either. Some of my lovely coworkers actually walk next door to Memorial Hermann just to eat!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Is This A New Water Wall In The Medical Center?
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to John P. McGovern Texas Medical Center Commons At 6550 Bertner Ave.
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to John P. McGovern Texas Medical Center Commons/TMC Garage 15 At 6550 Bertner Ave.