Porchman

There are other threads that cover this in more detail, but two that bother me are the Lot Line ordinance, and the knee jerk opposition to anything that is not Victorian homes. The lot line ordinance encourages removing the very bungalows we want to save, and replacing them with oversized homes, due to land value. The knee jerk opposition to national retailers, for instance, scares away retail development that allows smaller retailers to thrive next door. A carrot and stick approach that encourages responsible development is preferable. Note, I am not advocating against that famous Heights vigilance, merely advocating for responsible and thoughtful use of the hammer. The law of unintended consequences can be a real delicate flower.

Some questions on this project, hopefully some can answer:

1. Anyone come accross any project renderings yet?

2. Is the building next to the old Ben-Hur site part of the project? It wouldn't break my heart to see those go.

If the project is done right it could be an asset to the area. Hopefully it will spur some retail additions. The only "wishes" I would have for the project would be that it would be condos instead of apartments. Some retail facing Yale would be nice but I'm doubtful that will happen. Also, it would be nice if developers would shift their focus to the Shepherd/Durham corridor, that really needs the redevelopment. There are parcels available but developers don't seem to know what to do there. One good project would probably do a lot to spur redevelopment on Shepherd.

Edited by west20th

I live on 11th and Yale in a single family home and see nothing wrong with development at 19th and Yale... I don't see how this would disrupt the "feel" of the neighborhood. If it attracts anyone like the places in Midtown have, I would have to say that it might breathe fresh life into that area. I cannot however see anything such as this ever happening on heights or "in" the neighborhoods with such an active community. Just my .02 ....

D

By fighting everything, even that development that would occur in non-residential areas, we signal that the Heights does not want prosperity, only the old, decaying structures symbolized by Skylane. We further signal that since we oppose even well thought out and appropriate development, developers should practice stealth development to evade the angry Heights mobs. The thoughtful and considerate developer will avoid the Heights, leaving the scorched earth group to put crap wherever they can sneak it in.

If this structure were proposed on Heights Boulevard, I would be inclined to agree with you. It is not. It is a proposal to build on the perimeter of the Heights, a scenario that you yourself said was acceptable...and I agree with you that it is, especially if the design compliments the vibrant 19th/20th Street commercial area. It certainly can't be any worse than the Kroger shopping center next door, a blight that we would all applaud removing.

I agree. However, the only problem here is striking the balance. This is a 5.5 story building backing up to single-family neighborhood with well-maintained homes. Porchman is reserving judgement. He would like to see renderings and a plat.

There are other threads that cover this in more detail, but two that bother me are the Lot Line ordinance...

This is one issue with which I struggle. I've seen how more dense use of land has offered opportunity for restoration of some of the older homes in the Heights (eg. the Bungalow Revival homes on W14). With the highly appreciated land value of the area, this is a way to counter the tear-it-down-and-build-something-giant craze.

Some questions on this project, hopefully some can answer:

1. Anyone come accross any project renderings yet?

2. Is the building next to the old Ben-Hur site part of the project? It wouldn't break my heart to see those go.

Some retail facing Yale would be nice but I'm doubtful that will happen.

They purportedly do not have renderings. They did this project in Denver.

http://www.bygroup.com/Gallery/allied.html. I would not be surprised if there was some resemblance in the Retreat project.

Not sure which old building you mean. They've stripped the whole property - 21st to 22nd.

There is no retail planned for the building. The lower level is parking structure.

This is one issue with which I struggle. I've seen how more dense use of land has offered opportunity for restoration of some of the older homes in the Heights (eg. the Bungalow Revival homes on W14). With the highly appreciated land value of the area, this is a way to counter the tear-it-down-and-build-something-giant craze.
how does this counter the tear-it down-and-build -something-giant craze? i can seeing them want to put multiple units on one lot instead. Edited by musicman

Looking at the maps off of Virtual Earth it looks like there would be minimal building backing up to the homes... Wouldn't be too hard to put in a "buffer"...

There is potential for a buffer. But they will need to use a substantial part of the parking area to the west in order to fit almost 50 units per floor.

how does this counter the tear-it down-and-build -something-giant craze? i can seeing them want to put multiple units on one lot instead.

Well, that's true, and they're doing that, as well. What I was inidcating is that homes which would not have fit the economic model of maxing the land have found new life on smaller, tighter lots, instead of simply being torn down to make way for newer and bigger or, as you point out, newer and more plentiful. Even with the ordinances (and pending clarifications), much can still (and will) be torn down. So an economically viable alternative can be generated for preservation by allowing lot adjustments.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A representative from Allied Realty / Allied Construction will be making a presentation to the HHA Land Use Committee this evening regarding this project. All those interested are encouraged to attend.

• 6:30 PM, Heights Fire Station @ 12th and Yale.

Here it is...or atleast mostly...the big Y thang is apparently not going to be part of the design.

IMG_1045.jpg

Project specs:

-$30M project

-Rendering lies - no retail on first level. Apparently they've talked to Weingarten about making the Kroger plaza a happier place to be. Although, Weingarten is pretty tied up right now :angry2: .

-195 units - half 1 BR, Half 2 BR; 1.88 parking places per unit. Interesting point: They have created a 2-level parking garage (at least one level below grade). They made each level acessible from a different street - one Level from 21st and one level from 22nd. This should help abate a concentration of traffic.

-Average monthly rent $1500. Residents are puportedly expected to earn 3x rent (54K).

-They say there is primo deposit for doggies and kitties. They have a pet walking area. (Walking a cat doesn't work, trust me).

-Outdoor pool and fitness room.

-No clear answer on what's going to happen with the remaining retail property, which purportedly tied up in probate. Allied (the developer) has no control over this.

-Another developer is going to put 4 townhomes on the lot west of Long John Silvers, which is currently being currently being used as the construction lot. They're targeting the fried fish lovers market :D .

-As shown in the rendering, brick on the bottom, metal on the top.

-Issues raised:

• Metal on the top. Issue raised: Is the loft look passe?
  • Traffic: No turn lanes on Yale to serve Northbound traffic. Yale is about to get torn up, now what?
  • How ya gonna get the water out the garage? Answer: Sump pumps that feed into the storm sewer. 2nd question: How ya gonna deal with the over-taxed storm sewer? Not a problem...because the City of Houston says so.
  • Make your construction people respect the 'hood. Answer: we'll work on it. Let us know.

Much thanks to the HHA Land Use Committee Chair for getting them to come speak with us. :)

Oh, someone might as well add this to the "Going Up" wiki.

Edited by Porchman

Thanks for the update, Porchman. I'm not too upset at no first floor retail. Putting a happy face on Kroger Plaza would be a MUCH more impressive feat. "Mixed use" is becoming an extraordinarily overused term anyway. There is retail on either side and across the street, as well as up and down 19th and 20th. The Republic will survive without it.

I like the brick on the bottom, neither impressed nor disgusted with the top. Isn't that pretty much what happens with passe architecture? Overall, I am glad to see the new blood coming to Yale. As I have stated before, Yale is exactly the street this type of development should occur on. Who knows, a $30 million shot to 22nd Street could boost interest in 23rd through 28th. How's that for a "half full" statement? ;)

BTW, what was your impression, having been there and seen and listened to the presentation?

Edited by RedScare

Thanks for the update, Porchman. I'm not too upset at no first floor retail. Putting a happy face on Kroger Plaza would be a MUCH more impressive feat. "Mixed use" is becoming an extraordinarily overused term anyway. There is retail on either side and across the street, as well as up and down 19th and 20th. The Republic will survive without it.

Agreed. It also minimizes the impact on the residences in that area. I think Allied eschews managing anything other than residential. Probably a smart business plan.

I like the brick on the bottom, neither impressed nor disgusted with the top. Isn't that pretty much what happens with passe architecture? Overall, I am glad to see the new blood coming to Yale. As I have stated before, Yale is exactly the street this type of development should occur on. Who knows, a $30 million shot to 22nd Street could boost interest in 23rd through 28th. How's that for a "half full" statement? ;)

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact it will have. The pending reconstruction of Yale could delay any positive effects, however.

BTW, what was your impression, having been there and seen and listened to the presentation?

I really don't do impressions except for maybe Ethel Merman. :D

Anyhoo, the Allied Realty folk gave solid answers to a barrage of questions. Some of the answers were not what some people wanted to hear. There is solid concern from those living near the project - the impact of construction being paramount right now. There was general concern over long-term impact issues like traffic. They got light applause at the end for braving the quick-fire queries. It was a fairly moderate turnout. No big harangue.

You've mentioned the Yale reconstruction a couple of times. What are they planning? I would assume a Studewood style redo? Hopefully, without the mid-project delay? Do you know a timeframe?

It was mentioned last night that it's been pushed up to next year. Yes. it's my understaing that it's the whole thing - utilities, pavement, etc. I vaguely recall someone mentioning that COH would be overseeing this project, where TXDOT was in charge of Studewood.

Porchman - many thanks for the report on the meeting with the developer. Intelligent, well-written, factual posts such as yours are becoming increasingly rare on HAIF as the membership expands. While the architecture of the building reminds me of a budget-constrained project at your average second-tier university, at this stage, any new development would be good development for the area north of 19th -- as long as, of course, 19th Street retains its eclectic-for-Houston vibe.

I must admit I also had not heard of the pending reconstruction of Yale and am curious as well as to the scope of that project.

Edited by cwrm4

The comments about what my family refers to as "little Kroger" are somewhat surprising because Kroger is planning to expand the 11th street store to make it more like the Kroger on West Gray. The work is supposed to take place in 2008. It's been rumored that "little Kroger" would be closed once the 11th street store is finished. The Allied reps mentioned something about having to compete with 24 Hour Fitness for the Kaplan's site. Perhaps the gym will go where "little Kroger" is.

• 1 month later...
"brown metal siding will replicate wood". Yuuuck. Don't like the sound of that.

Topics merged.

The entire quote is below and the funniest part is how the metal siding replicating wood will link the complex to the nabe. I think many Heights residents' reaction to that statement would run the gamut from chuckling to up-chucking.

"To soften the industrial aesthetic of the building

• 8 months later...
www.2125yale.com

I know this was mentioned in a previous post a while back... construction is moving along... going to look nice when it's done.

Strange how that awful strip center in the front of the project got left off of the rendering. Hope they have plans of tearing it down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

An update on 2125 Yale (fka Retreat at the Heights)

Yale and W 22nd

IMG_1666.jpg

The entrance to the upper level garage on W 22nd. (The entrance to the lower level garage is on W 21st

IMG_1664.jpg

:huh:

IMG_1668.jpg

On W 22nd

IMG_1660.jpg

Who needs morning sunlight anyway?

IMG_1661.jpg

Edited by Porchman
  • Like 1