Cigarette Smoking Bans & Ordinances

hokieone

DC passed a smoking ban including bars now. When is Houston's smoking ban for only restaurants up for review again? I think the "hurts the hospitality industry" argument is getting less and less as now New York, DC, Dallas, Chicago, and all of California ban smoking in bars and restaurants. Yes, that is not all the major cities in the US, but I would love to see us also step up and ban it in all places next go round.

USA Today Article

• 2 months later...

Houston passed a partial smoking ban in restaurants and covered bus shelters which went in to affect in September 2005. Restaurants can still permit smoking in bar areas, but it must be seperate from the dining area correct?

I was at a sports bar/restaurant last weekend, and they had an ash tray at every table and people were smoking. I've noticed this at a lot of restaurants. Is the new law being enforced?

I am sure if you called a complaint in, someone would eventually do something. However, I've noticed most restaurant owners don't want to offend EITHER side. If no one around me is eating, I can usually smoke at the bar at night. Fancy restaurants and at lunchtime, the answer is usually No. Also, many owners believe that if the sales ratio is more alcohol than food, smoking is allowed. This means many sports bars probably allow smoking.

It is not enforced at building entrances downtown. I think it's 50'.

One Allen Center used to enfore it, but they don't.

El Paso Building is a smokers paradise. 70s style cool with plenty of shade and a fountain, to boot. You'd think cigs were just invented when you walk by the number of people smoking.

Slow removal of personal freedoms........

Always start slow with things a lot of people can rally around then builds progressively from there once you have become used to giving things/freedoms away..........

Not a smoker, but hope the silly band isnt enforced.

Do your personal freedoms extend to where they interfere with my personal freedoms?

Edited by west20th

Slow removal of personal freedoms........

Always start slow with things a lot of people can rally around then builds progressively from there once you have become used to giving things/freedoms away..........

Not a smoker, but hope the silly band isnt enforced.

its a little different when the personal freedom affects others, especially their health. you're not allowed to urinate in the street, why don't you complain about that "silly ban" ? that's probably not the best analogy, and i really don't want to argue over the law - that's pointless since it already passed.

i actually am an occasional smoker, and don't mind it in clubs/bars or other venues. but i don't like it while i'm eating, so i was happy when this passed.

I am sure if you called a complaint in, someone would eventually do something. However, I've noticed most restaurant owners don't want to offend EITHER side. If no one around me is eating, I can usually smoke at the bar at night. Fancy restaurants and at lunchtime, the answer is usually No. Also, many owners believe that if the sales ratio is more alcohol than food, smoking is allowed. This means many sports bars probably allow smoking.

i have no desire to call a complaint in and get anyone in trouble. it wasn't that big of a deal, it was a sports bar so i understand its in that in-between category. but it got so bad i was tasting smoke instead of my burger...

"many owners believe" - isn't the law the law? whenever i read about this, it seemed so subjective, the definition of a bar area, etc.

its a little different when the personal freedom affects others, especially their health. you're not allowed to urinate in the street, why don't you complain about that "silly ban" ? that's probably not the best analogy, and i really don't want to argue over the law - that's pointless since it already passed.

i actually am an occasional smoker, and don't mind it in clubs/bars or other venues. but i don't like it while i'm eating, so i was happy when this passed.

The best analogy I've heard (can't rememeber the source): Having smoking sections indoors is like having peeing sections in pools.

Do your personal freedoms extend to where they interfere with my personal freedoms?

I'm curious. Do yours? Does your right to walk into a bar include the right to make me extinguish my cigarette? What if 75% of the people in the bar were smokers?

I'm not going to participate in this debate, but I would like to ask the 75% of non-smokers who approve of these bans in bars, why your personal rights outweigh mine...because that is all this is. The majority forcing out the minority.

"many owners believe" - isn't the law the law? whenever i read about this, it seemed so subjective, the definition of a bar area, etc.

No, it was never explained...and it is worded strangely. Perhaps it was done on purpose...or maybe it's just Shelley Sekula-Gibbs handi-work.

<_<

I'm curious. Do yours? Does your right to walk into a bar include the right to make me extinguish my cigarette? What if 75% of the people in the bar were smokers?

I'm not going to participate in this debate, but I would like to ask the 75% of non-smokers who approve of these bans in bars, why your personal rights outweigh mine...because that is all this is. The majority forcing out the minority.

Majority doesn't always rule. As much as George W. touts it when invading another country we are not a Democracy. Aren't minorities protected from the the "tyranny of the majority"?

That being said, I'd have to say a ban in bars doesn't make sense. It's not like the overly health conscious hang out in bars anyway. Myself, if the smoke is too bad I'll go to an ice house and sit outside.

Edited by west20th

I hate smoking. I'll admit I have no real objectivity in that sense. I love being able to go out to eat, go to bars, and not come home reeking of smoke to the point of where you almost would rather toss your clothes in a garbage bag. I like waking up in the morning where any sickness I feel is from drinking, and my eyes and throat don't feel like I spent the night hanging out with Joe Camel.

So I guess the only "argument" I have, and I use that word loosely, is that my personal freedom or right to walk into a bar without people smoking does not inhibit or change your personal health, wheras you smoking there does harm me. I don't think any smoker can debate that smoking is all in all, not good for anyone. I know the other side of that coin is, well then, just don't go to bars and you are drinking so you don't care about your health anyway. I think the other argument people use is the case of the workers, who are there in the sake of employment, not enjoyment. However, I would bet a good deal of restaurant workers smoke.

Thus I'll leave it as I love it that New York, Chicago, DC, Austin, California and many other places have now banned it completely. No it does not mean enough to move there, so I don't need to hear that reply, but I was hoping for a full ban here. As is, I thought the restaurant move was a good step forward.

I'm curious. Do yours? Does your right to walk into a bar include the right to make me extinguish my cigarette?

Actually, yes. They're called "negative liberties." A good (if extreme) example of it is that I should have the freedom not to be killed by someone on the street. Similarly, I should have the freedom to not breathe someone else's smoke. It's the reason people can be kicked off a bus for smelling too bad, or removed from a public space for being too rowdy.

• Like 1

I don't particularly care, as I still ask for non-smoking. If then I can smell smoke from my non-smoking table, I complain. Also, I don't frequent anywhere that the majority of people will be smoking, and expect to have my non-smoking needs catered.

Smoking and public urination are two different things. If we're going to compare the two equally, then I want to file a complaint against all of you whose vehicles are not up to the latest emission standards for violating my right to breath clean(er) air.

My personal philosophy is that I don't smoke in enclosed spaces-be it a restaurant, my home and vehicles or others homes and vehicles. I have a nasty, unhealthy habit that I don't feel I have the right to inflict on anyone else. But it is my nasty habit and I defend my right to have it and try to act responsibly in regards to others.

Rush Limbaugh once said he doesn't wear a seat belt in defiance of a law he thinks infringes on his rights. When it was pointed out to him that if he were in an accident and that seat belt held him in place as he brought his car under control as opposed to being hurled around the cabin of his SUV with no control-do his rights to drive unrestrained overrule the safety of others.

Anyone want to guess his response? [Clue: liberal feminazi]

Smoking outdoors is my small attempt at not inficting my nasty habit on others-just as wearing my seatbelt is not just a benefit to me but potentially to others as well.

Anyway, each to his/her own.

B)

Edited by nmainguy

Urinating in public doesnt provide jobs and employee people to put food on thier tables, pay taxes and support thier families. Smokers buy cigarettes, pay taxes and salaries of thousands of tobacco company workers, who in turn pay taxes, support economy and family etc etc. Come up with a better analogy than urination, its insane and im not buying it!

Wheres the ACLU on this one?

Actually, yes. They're called "negative liberties." A good (if extreme) example of it is that I should have the freedom not to be killed by someone on the street. Similarly, I should have the freedom to not breathe someone else's smoke. It's the reason people can be kicked off a bus for smelling too bad, or removed from a public space for being too rowdy.

Would this apply to people whose girth results in intruding on my space (e.g.,seating on a bus or airplane)?

And if not, can I at least doodle on their love handles with a Sharpie?

Smoking and Drinking go hand in hand, always has, always should, and hopefully always will. I am a non-smoker, not a recovering smoker. I have never gotten into the habit. I enjoy a fine cigar every now and again. Don't have to be out at a bar to enjoy one, but I absolutely do not like cigarettes. I hate the smoking ban in bars and clubs especially, stupidest thing EVER ! If I go into a bar or club, especially a "hole in the wall" joint, there better be some smokers in there or I am gonna question the owner as to what kind of joint is he runnin'?

Restaurants, I can see that, I don't understand how your food could POSSIBLY taste good with a mouthful of tobacco smoke, does it give it a hickory flavor or something ? Cater to the smokers at least and have a NICE patio area OUTSIDE for these tarlungs to go to, so I don't feel like I'm eating a Marlboro sandwich while I'm trying to enjoy my meal.

bigtex, if you doodle on my "lovehandles" you lose a thumb ! I agree with that perspective though. I am a large mammal, not morbidly obese mind you, I would definately be sharing a tray table with you, as mine would probably have to remain in it's upright position at all times. I hate that I would impose on someone's space if I had to sit next to them on a flight. I don't fly much anymore, probably because I subconsciuosly know that I am too big and would probably be charged for the extra seat. I know that not every wide body out there cares about there fellow traveler like me, and for that, let me apologize for all the fatties you may or may not have had to sit by on your flight whilest enjoying some salted almonds in the single serving size.

Edited by TJones

Urinating in public doesnt provide jobs and employee people to put food on thier tables, pay taxes and support thier families.

It provides the police with more criminals to apprehend, which equals court dates with judges & their staff, which equals court costs & fines. :P

Smokers buy cigarettes, pay taxes and salaries of thousands of tobacco company workers, who in turn pay taxes, support economy and family etc etc.
It provides the police with more criminals to apprehend, which equals court dates with judges & their staff, which equals court costs & fines. :P

umm...don't forget the contribution to the healthcare industry also :blink:

Edited by sevfiv

My cousin owns a pair of yuppified blues bars in Georgia (Macon & Atlanta).

As an experiment, he made the places "no-smoking" on the slowest school night of the week. Guess what? In both locations, that night became the busiest "school night". In fact, it's been so succesful, that he is contemplating making Friday or Saturday "no-smoking".

Personally I abhor smoking and the smoke in bars is the primary reason I don't go out much, except to places with open decks/patios. (Maybe that's a good thing, both for my wallet and my liver).

I suspect in Houston a large part of opposition to a full ban comes from all the "blue-collar" joints where 90% of the folks are smoking. While I personally think a smoking ban would increase traffic at most places in the western half of the inner-loop area, a ban would negatively impact all of the blue-collar places within the city limits.

Following a full ban, the increase in bar spending by non-smoking yuppies would likely not offset the dent in tax revenue due to decreased business at the blue-collar joints. I suspect City Hall is well aware of this.

Houston passed a partial smoking ban in restaurants and covered bus shelters which went in to affect in September 2005. Restaurants can still permit smoking in bar areas, but it must be seperate from the dining area correct?

I was at a sports bar/restaurant last weekend, and they had an ash tray at every table and people were smoking. I've noticed this at a lot of restaurants. Is the new law being enforced?

Just b/c a place serves food does classify it as a restaurant. Smoking is permitted if a majority of the sales is from alcohol.

Why would you want to ban smoking when it's so glamorous?!

You know, other than the fact that there are few things better than a smoke after sex (other than the sex itself), one of the things I like best about smoking is that no one else likes it.

Go figure.

james-dean.jpg

You know, other than the fact that there are few things better than a smoke after sex (other than the sex itself), one of the things I like best about smoking is that no one else likes it.

Go figure.

james-dean.jpg

Rebel Without A Lung :D

• 1 month later...

I am a smoker (when drinking) and I have yet to encounter a problem getting my cancer fix. California on the other hand is a smoker's nightmare. No smoking anywhere indoors. Even the crazy bars and clubs. It sucks, but you adapt.

I guess it does not suck for the non-smokers. In fact my buddies in Cali love the law. They now can go home without smelling like an ashtray..