Dreadlocks in the workplace

lockmat

Here's the story...

I work here in NM but am currently looking for a new job in Houston. I'm waiting until my lease here is up and then I'll leave, which is October 1st.

I'm starting the locking process of my hair in about three weeks and I intend to keep them looking as nice as possible.

Of course, I'm nervous about getting them b/c I'm wondering if a southern type town like Houston will receive them very well and if it'll affect my ability to get a good job.

The way the stylist is starting them out is by braiding them since my hair is relatively straight. They won't actually be locked for about 6 months to a year. So, when it comes to the interviewing period they'll probably still look more like braids than they will dreadlocks.

My question is of course, if I maintain them well, how much of an affect do y'all think my "dreadlocks" will have in me getting a job?

Hopefully y'all are not considering any misconceptions dreadlocks may bring. I'm a clean guy. Don't smoke anything and I hardly drink. I'm just doing it for the look.

Thanks

depends where you're working. some places would definitely discourage them.

Well hopefully they're gonna look nice. If they don't, then I'm getting rid of them. But my thinking right now is that they'll affect me more if the job requires interaction with customers, clients, etc. If I'm just sittin at a desk all day, I'm thinking not so much.

Plus, I'm sure it depends on who's doing the interviewing and/or hiring. Every person has different values, prejudices etc.

Well hopefully they're gonna look nice. If they don't, then I'm getting rid of them. But my thinking right now is that they'll affect me more if the job requires interaction with customers, clients, etc. If I'm just sittin at a desk all day, I'm thinking not so much.

Plus, I'm sure it depends on who's doing the interviewing and/or hiring. Every person has different values, prejudices etc.

what type of working are you trying to find?

Depending on where you want to work, it could be the other way around. It really is a case-by-case kind of thing. I can tell you this much--it'll probably hurt you more than it helps.

If Lenny Kravitz can cut his hair, don't you think you could do it ?

I really don't think it would matter being here in Houston, or in Chicago, or even L.A. , I don't think dreadlocks are considered "professional" in the work place. Unless you are working for Coldstone or Wholefoods.

what type of working are you trying to find?

I'm not real sure. I think I might just go through Kelly Services.

I work in ticketing right now, but probably don't wanna stay in it. I'd like to maybe work for the city in some capacity. But over the past year, I've developed a fascination for things I don't have an education or experience in. Things like urban planning, transportation issues, and finance. I already like art and politics and journalism. So who knows. Right now I'm just browsing on Monster.

Ideally, I'd like to work in or real close to 610.

Depending on where you want to work, it could be the other way around. It really is a case-by-case kind of thing. I can tell you this much--it'll probably hurt you more than it helps.

Yeah, I kind of figured that, which stinks.

If Lenny Kravitz can cut his hair, don't you think you could do it ?

I really don't think it would matter being here in Houston, or in Chicago, or even L.A. , I don't think dreadlocks are considered "professional" in the work place. Unless you are working for Coldstone or Wholefoods.

I can cut it. My hair has always been relatively short. I've never had it this long before (a little over 3 inches). I just wanna try this out at least once in my life. It might just be bad timing. And although they might not be "professional," I've seen people who look very nice with them; of course there's people out there who would dispute that they can look nice at all. But I say those people probably haven't paid attention to them much.

It's become more accepted, but as someone in another thread pointed out, Houston is still conservative.

That said, see what happens. You can always change them up.

Heck, I know people with locks, mohawks, bleach blonde, nose rings (some ... all the above) and they don't seem to have a problem.

It's become more accepted, but as someone in another thread pointed out, Houston is still conservative.

That said, see what happens. You can always change them up.

Heck, I know people with locks, mohawks, bleach blonde, nose rings (some ... all the above) and they don't seem to have a problem.

Do y'all think if an employer wanted me but not my hair, they'd tell me and give me the option of cutting it?

Things would be different I'm sure if I were to get them after I got a job. My boss here was all about it when I asked permission to get them. But he is from LA. Plus, he knows I'm a good guy and that it's solely a fashion, and not any kind of reflection of lifestyle usually connected with them.

What kind of things do your friends do for a living?

you seem to be all over the map with job possibilities.

working behind a desk at visible changes with dreads would be fine. working behind a desk at a engineering firm might not.

My major was Liberal Studies. I chose that b/c I didn't know what I wanted to do. Still don't, but my interests have evolved.

But yeah, you're right with your second statement. Hopefully I interview with open-minded people.

Get the job, then get the dreads.

Rasta.

A possibility, but Rasta would be the last reason I'm doing it.

My question is of course, if I maintain them well, how much of an affect do y'all think my "dreadlocks" will have in me getting a job?

Hopefully y'all are not considering any misconceptions dreadlocks may bring. I'm a clean guy. Don't smoke anything and I hardly drink. I'm just doing it for the look.

I say wear your hair any way you want and work for the employer who accepts you and can see past the hairstyle to the person wearing it. But you may want to take the advice of those who urge caution and ignore mine coming as it does from an avowed non-conformist whose hairstyles many consider unconventional.

I agree with the get-the-job-first idea.

Where I work there are a couple of people with dreads, and nobody even gives them a second look because the people keep them VERY clean. They're sometimes adorned with little beads, but they NEVER look like litter box turds. I think you've seen the ones I'm talking about.

Cut it off, I know this sounds blunt, but if you want to save yourself time and the headaches that's the way to go. I AGREE " Get the job first, then the dreads." I say this b/c I can relate for various reasons of my own:

1. I'm judged every moment someone looks at me for OBVIOUS factors, so I must CONFORM and SPEAK in order to change their perceptions. Within the FIRST 10 Seconds or SO.

2. Houston is both liberal and conservative, but depending on your situation/LOOK, it can be very conservative (esp. b/c of the conservative people who come from the traditional suburbs or small towns, who will end up being your coworkers). Overall, if you speak intelligently you are OK.

3. Half of the people who responded to the post are UNAWARE of how life is as a minority. ( Minority as in race or physical appearance) Gays can somewhat relate and that's why I feel their pain, eventhough some of them are also biggots! (But we were born this way and nobody had a Choice. RIGHT?)

4. Im a very positive person and even if you have that going it doesn't matter b/c People judge based on What they SEE with their EYES!

5. They see dreads = They see Rasta and GREEN :lol: (AND not $$$)

6. BY the way after you make all the MOney you want you can do what you want, and like it was said earlier, If you plan to work at whole foods/ Subway/ Starbucks/ Wine bar you are FINE!

GOOD LUCK and STAY Positive

I don't want to completely discount the experiences of a minority but in this particular case, I think the dreads would push you in to a perceived stereotype that would not be favorable to your ability to get a decent job.

Dreads, like a mohawk, spikes, or 'fro, simply are not professional looks. So if you are looking for a professional job, then it would not be advisable to get the dreads.

This doesn't mean you might not luck out and get a job at a place that simply doesn't care. I would definitely go along with others here saying get the job, gauge the atmosphere, and then, if it won't be detrimental to you, do the dreads.

Keep in mind, dreads, as well as carrying a connotation of drug use, are also perceived by most as very dirty, filthy things (matted hair and such). So even if you get the job, it might affect your chances for advancement.

Good luck though.

I agree with the get-the-job-first idea.

Get-the-job-first, yes.

Always keep in mind that an employer wants you to represent them. You are basically a mirror image of the company wether you realize it or not.

Most jobs I interviewed for were done by telephone (up to 2 hours). My voice and interaction and communication skills is what mattered first. The "in person" interview came later and were up to 5 people I had to meet with. They wanted more than anything to know how I interacted and yep, how professional I appeared. I always dressed above their expectations. It works.

I was on the other side of the fence too in corporate HR downtown and interviewed all walks of life. The main thing we looked at was how the person introduced themselves and how professional they came across. I was quite easy with everyone because I always put myself in their place.

To answer the question, I personally would never think of wearing any kind of distraction. Period.

I would go with your original, immediate thoughts about looking for a job while growing dreadlocks.

imo, it seems that if you have even a little hesitation, it wouldn't be such a great idea at this point.

Right now my hair is a little over three inches long. I put product in it and kind of slick it back. Everyone really likes it, and even so much that they're telling me to keep it like that instead of getting the dreads. I don't wanna cut it really short to how I used to have it.

I should be straight keeping it this length, right?

sowaname, I'm somewhat of a minority. I'm half mexican half white, but most people think I'm Italian, so. But I understand I would still recieve the misconceptions locks bring. But at the same time, like Editor said, there are people out there with nice dreads who keep them very clean, which is what I intend to do.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards keeping it the length it is now and getting them after I get the job, depending what it is.

I say we make it a rule that all Haif folk need to wear dreadlocks and a Scarface T-Shirt and get it over with. End of story.

Me, corn rows ala Bo Derek in 10. :lol: Run down the beach (and play Ravels Bolero in background)

But not if it's against some company code. Do business have codes against hair styles?

as a new person (probably on a probationary period), if you ask too many questions...it probably wouldn't be prudent if you want to keep your job. i know 2 people who didn't make it thru their probationary periods. both quoted the company's policies a little too much.

But not if it's against some company code. Do business have codes against hair styles?

I would imagine so. For example (and yes, I realize it's a baseball team but it still holds, I think), the Cincinnati Reds have a club policy against facial hair (outside of eyebrows and lashes, of course). You're not allowed a moustache, goatee, sideburns, etc.

I imagine if its contract employment, such stipulations might be written into your contract. If I'm wrong, our resident lawyers will certainly set me straight.

Archived