Need To Move Before School Starts (Clear Lake)

PapillionWyngs

What would you do?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When you can't find a house within the boundaries of the school you want you child to attend?

• Take the least offensive house you can afford?
    • Rent, even though the rent is more than your mortgage payment?
    • Keep looking for what you want, send your child to the extremely less desirable school, then transfer you son, if he is still living, to the desirable school.
    • Crawl under a rock and hope no one notices you.

We have to get our of our house, and have financing for another. It is a long story concerning a bi-polar son, and a school in our school district that neither of my children need to be subjected to. We have to get out of our house before we can sell it, and our realtor thinks that he can sell it.

My problem. My house was built in 1991. It is 1780 sq. feet - two story, master down, gameroom and two bedrooms up.

We HAVE to downsize. Problem is, the houses that are within the boundaries that we can afford were either built in the 60's, 70's or. at most, the early 80's. These have more problems than you can imagine from old roofs, ac's, cracked but repaired foundations, etc. We can only afford to move in - can't afford ANY maintenance for a LONG time.

We thought we found one about a month ago in Meadowgreen. After inspection, the seller refused to make the repairs, so we walked away (we were just in option). I found my dream house - about $20,000 more than I want to pay.

There is a nice house in Middlebrook that is pretty far away from our current home, and it is being fixed up - not flipped, because they are the original owners, and it was a rental house until they decided to sell it. It has a new roof, new ac/heat, new appliances, pergo floors and friese carpet. I love it BUT - the driveway is cracked into a million pieces, and it doesn't sound like they want to pour a new one. I think it's a MOD - you know, I never understood that - but has vaulted ceilings, and the master bedroom has these HUGE doors with no doorknobs - when you close the door, it just looks like a wall. I love this house! But my teenager doesn't care for it, and my husband hasn't seen it, and I think I'm the only one who will care for it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pap ~!~

!

Guest Marty
We HAVE to downsize. Problem is, the houses that are within the boundaries that we can afford were either built in the 60's, 70's or. at most, the early 80's. These have more problems than you can imagine from old roofs, ac's, cracked but repaired foundations, etc. We can only afford to move in - can't afford ANY maintenance for a LONG time.

Most houses in Harris County has foundation problems including my 1974 one story 1678 sf house in Spring.

$20,000 more than you would like to pay to get your DREAM HOUSE ?!? pap, figure that is about $80 to $100 a month added on your mortgage. They may be willing to meet you half way, or have you put a bid in and they turned it down. If it is your dream house, you might want to consider fighting for it. You are working again now, right? If the owner meets you half way, figure it will be an extra $50 to live in your dream house, is there somewhere else you could cut corners to make up that difference ? You could quit smoking, give up that coke or starbucks in the morning ?

$20,000 more than you would like to pay to get your DREAM HOUSE ?!? pap, figure that is about $80 to $100 a month added on your mortgage. They may be willing to meet you half way, or have you put a bid in and they turned it down. If it is your dream house, you might want to consider fighting for it. You are working again now, right? If the owner meets you half way, figure it will be an extra $50 to live in your dream house, is there somewhere else you could cut corners to make up that difference ? You could quit smoking, give up that coke or starbucks in the morning ?

Well, I am not yet working, and the rest of the family didn't fall for that house like I did - and I'm over it now - I really am.

Everything that we are looking at now has paneling - I hate to paint it - but I hate paneling!

when you say this, do you mean you want a smaller house? or do you want a smaller payment?

A smaller house. We have a bi-polar child, and the bigger house he has to mess up, the more mess there is.

I am trying to get everything together for a garage sale this weekend - we may have to have TWO before we move, I don't know. Anyway, I am waiting for an "okay" house - I just don't want something I have to fix up.

Shouldn't be a big issue but the warrantys are often worthless. Did you get a report from a structural engineer before the repair was made? If so I would make it available to prospective buyers.

If it had been repaired by a good quality firm and had a transferrable warranty, I wouldn't consider the foundation to be an issue.

Guest Marty

80% of the houses I ever seen built before 1990 had a cracked foundation. The dry then extremely wet conditions that south east Texas is used too will crack any foundation.

• The title was changed to Need To Move Before School Starts (Clear Lake)

Archived