Texas Children's Hospital Mark Wallace Tower/TMC Garage 16 At 6701 Fannin St.

citykid09

nice video. i love the way the camera shakes when the first charge goes off.

it was def fun to watch in person, although i'm sure we all got cancer.

LOL, thanks. I don't know about you, but when that dust cloud was starting to advance my way, this asthmatic and a few other spectators took off running (which explains the rather abrupt end of the video). Some came armed with masks, I probably should've donned one with some goggles and I would've gotten some of the aftermath. I was standing at Fannin and Holcombe when I made the video. I did a brisk jog to my car which was parked at S. Main and Holcombe and managed to avoid the avalanche of asbestos. :P

I took photos as well and I put them together in a time lapse video which is uploading on youtube as we speak. I'll post some photos soon after I have time to go through them all so stay tuned...

It was very impressive. You could really feel the power of the explosives. It made my whole body shake.

I also had to run back to my car and ended up getting dust in my eyes and all over my camera!

is my video. I'll post some photos soon. Edited by Jax

The Crown Plaza Hotel in the Texas Medical Center was imploded today to make way for the Texas Childrens Hospital's expansion.

View when we first arrived at approximately 6:00 a.m. today.

CrownPlaza11-11-07001.jpg

The media was there:

CrownPlaza11-11-07007.jpg

This one guy set up his camera and tripod, I think it was KevinfromTexas:

CrownPlaza11-11-07006.jpg

Sun came up and the crowds increased:

CrownPlaza11-11-07003.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07011.jpg

The kid on the right was the person selected to push the button; he's the son of some big shot with Texas Childrens Hospital - Dude with cap on left:

CrownPlaza11-11-07012.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07010.jpg

Shots of the demolition crew, and set up of the trigger box:

CrownPlaza11-11-07009.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07013.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07014.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07015.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07016.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07017.jpg

Wait a minute, the kids supposed to push that:

CrownPlaza11-11-07004.jpg

Helicopter circling the area:

CrownPlaza11-11-07018.jpg

CrownPlaza11-11-07019.jpg

• Like 1

And some videos:

First video is of the scene and crowd:

th_CrownPlaza11-11-07002.jpg

Second video is of the kid getting instructions and giving interview:

th_CrownPlazaVideo2.jpg

Third video is of the implosion (it was freakin loud):

th_CrownPlazaVideo5.jpg

The fourth video is of the aftermaft. We got out of there fast because of the dust. I picked up my water bottle and put it in my mouth because I was holding my camera and video camera. You can hear me talking like a idiot:

th_CrownPlaza11-11-07007-1.jpg

The dust got into my eyes and contacts. I drove home teary eyed.

This was a blast. Hope you enjoyed the pics and videos.

Adios

• Like 1

A few from me as well...

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

The crowd leaving, maybe a block and a half from the site...

DSC01771.jpg

And 3-4 blocks out...

DSC01772.jpg

The air had cleared for the most part in about 10 minutes time, though my car got rained on with some dust before I got back to it. Pretty good since it was actually a few blocks across the south side of Holcombe.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

Yeah and before it became a Crowne Plaza, I recall it was a brown brick Holiday Inn hotel. I'm not sure what would've been beautiful or memorable about it inside or out or if it were anything else before that even. It just seemed like a hotel that would've been in any center of buisiness more than anything.

• Like 1

So sad. It was a beautiful hotel in its time. When are we just going to "remodel" exisiting structures and quite tearing down beautiful buildings. It made me sick to watch that. The outside of the hotel looked like a brand new hotel. What a shame.

When the land under them has no better alternative uses. That's when.

If progress is a shame, then shame on me.

quite tearing down beautiful buildings

It wasn't exactly beautiful to me, but it seems weird when they tear down a building in a city full of empty lots. I guess it makes more sense in the Medical Center than most places though. TCH wants a maternity center that will connect via. sky bridge with their existing hospital. The neonatal ward for example is right across the street. I can't think of another way of doing that besides tearing that old hotel down.

How long had the Crowne Plaza been abandoned?

Anyone know anything more about this, off the KHOU site? Hope it's not true.

"Someone may have been inside the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the Medical Center when it imploded Sunday morning, police sources told 11 News. Just before noon Wednesday, police received a tip about a possible death on the site during the implosion. Two crime scene trucks and homicide detectives were at the site of the blast investigating Wednesday. According to the tip, there may be video showing the person inside the building when it went down. It was unclear who had the video. Police have yet to determine if the tip is legitimate."

• Like 1