HAIF - Houston's original social media

Washington Avenue Renderings

i can't imagine much pedestrian traffic aroud that area b/c washington is such a main thoroughfare.

Yeah, but the way development is headed, it will feel like one big "strip" soon. Which could have people walking from place to place......maybe more shopping amongst the wine bars and mexican restaurants? :P I dont know...Midtown is one big grid and you always see people out and about. Perhaps the strip feel of Washington could be a negative.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It appears that Lovett Commerical has several projects in the works for the East side of Washington (i.e. by Corkscrew etc...). Here is their info... 1902 Washington Blvd - Mixed Use Development

This was presented on this forum a while ago and I think it's a few years out, however Lovett has been doing a lot of work on a few buildings that front Washington Avenue.

Posted Images

Nice save for the Art Deco fire station. Is it up & running?

Also, speaking of Washington, how is what used to be "Rockefellers", that old bank building doing?

Please tell me it is still there. :mellow:

Yeah, but the way development is headed, it will feel like one big "strip" soon. Which could have people walking from place to place......maybe more shopping amongst the wine bars and mexican restaurants? :P I dont know...Midtown is one big grid and you always see people out and about. Perhaps the strip feel of Washington could be a negative.

south congress in austin is a major thoroughfare but that hasn't impeded pedstrian traffic in the least... no reason to think the same cant occur on washington.

Edited by swtsig

We won't really get a feel for its metamorphosis until more of the planned residential/retail construction ends and the city redoes the street, including the sidewalks. Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is the amount of construction some people have to walk through as well as the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!
Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is ...... the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

unless this is addressed as part of a capital improvements project, don't look for any changes.

It was a combination of city funds and private donations. Donations are still being accepted to fund additional beautification projects.

I was thinking that the Main/Studewood/Cavalcade intersection would be a good candidate for a roundabout.

I agree, but roundabouts tend to confuse non-Europeans. Thats a busy intersection too....not sure how well the people would adjust to it. Reminds me of a scene from European Vacation where Chevy Chase gets stuck on the inside and keeps going round...and round....and round....

We won't really get a feel for its metamorphosis until more of the planned residential/retail construction ends and the city redoes the street, including the sidewalks. Part of what makes Washington Avenue unattractive/uninviting for pedestrians at the moment is the amount of construction some people have to walk through as well as the fact that most of the sidewalks along Washington simply needs to be redone.

Not too far from the roundabout, on the south side of the street (across and down from a pizza place, i think) there is a building or two that sticks right out into the sidewalk. But other than that I think it would be alright to traverse on foot.

One would think that a bunch of NASCAR loving rednecks ought to be able to figure out how to drive in a left-handed circle.

heh. I didn't think they were letting rednecks onto Washington Ave anymore. Maybe we don't have critical mass on sushi and wine bars yet. Uncle Buddy's used car lot is still hanging on, though.

I'm still pondering the viability of a roundabout at Studewood, Main and Cavalcade. In many ways, it would make things simpler, but given the driving pedigree of the average Houstonian (and American, for that matter), I keep seeing a lot of 13 News reports down the line about a rash of freaky accidents there.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!
heh. I didn't think they were letting rednecks onto Washington Ave anymore. Maybe we don't have critical mass on sushi and wine bars yet. Uncle Buddy's used car lot is still hanging on, though.

guadalajara is closing so that should discourage a few.

I'm still pondering the viability of a roundabout at Studewood, Main and Cavalcade. In many ways, it would make things simpler, but given the driving pedigree of the average Houstonian (and American, for that matter), I keep seeing a lot of 13 News reports down the line about a rash of freaky accidents there.

Main Street between 45 and 610 is the next Washington.

I would be willing to bet that the traffic count at the WOW roundabout is higher than the N. Main/Cavalcade/Studewood intersection. There certainly is not so much traffic as to cause a roundabout there to be unworkable. If Heights residents or the Association use the blueprint for the WOW roundabout, it could be done.

Main Street between 45 and 610 is the next Washington.

Interesting thought.... Its certainly being surrounded by ever increasing lot values...

I have noticed the new McStarbucks is coming along quite nicely....

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth : http://recenter.tamu.edu/mnews/newsSearch....S&CID=41151

108 Condo owners eyeing vintage complex's sale

(Multifamily : Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown) 4/21/2008 (Houston) - A total of 108 condo owners have joined together to sell the 27-year-old Park Memorial Condominium complex. It is situated on 4.85 acres at 5292 Memorial Dr. Located in the Memorial Heights submarket, the complex totals 166,538 sf in a mix of one- and two-bedroom units. Harris Central Appraisal District assessments range from $103 per sf to $106 per sf per unit. Saul Keeton of Colliers International says the costs of deferred maintenance for the owners of the complex had become burdensome, which is one reason they've agreed to bring the asset to market.

[GlobeSt.com]

And to think, i was under a contract to purchase one of those places at the end of November 2007, what a deal that I missed!!! The places were really rare for the area, they were really large and I dont think there were any units that were less than 875 sq. ft in size....Great Location (Walking distance to Memorial, Spotts, Cleveland Park, Washington Avenue and Regent Square) and everyone knew once the Caceres (http://www.caceresliving.com/) project started that these apartments wouldn't last bc of the superior location, views and mini park area in front of it!! "Memorial drive between downtown and memorial park" is really stepping it up and it's already a somewhat upscale area....Only if the Orion would've made it, and let's not forget that the entire lot that Otto's encompasses will be gone shortly. This should really do wonders for keeping Washington Avenue unique, because Memorial drive will hold the upscale title in that area....Any ideas what they will do with this site(High rise condos, etc)?

Wow. This was my idea. I used to own one of these units, and sat on the board. Replacing the rotting staircases and the bad stucco was getting very expensive, as there was always more damage than we expected. As I was walking the property one day, I wondered if it was possible to redevelop the entire complex and how it might be accomplished. I sold my unit to a friend when I moved to the Heights, and he ended up on the board as well (no one wanted to sit on the board). I told him about my idea one day that since land values were going up, it might one day be advantageous to sell the entire property en masse.

We never thought it would happen, given the struggle just to get a quorum to conduct business, plus some of the stubborn neighbors (every complex has them). But, we both agreed that the idea of selling a large tract of prime Memorial Drive land was intriguing. This complex sits on some of the better topography inside the loop...gently rolling hills and great tree cover. If Caceres is successful, I could see them looking to expand the concept.

I'll check in with my buddy to see what scoop is available.

Red, You were right on about the topography of that property. Before I walked around the complex, I had no idea how it was tucked into the hill, esp the pool. Do you think the caceres owners bought this? It would've been a smart idea, but I think someone beat them to it....It seems ideal for residential condo highrise based on the views and location, but due to the upscale highrise apartments it only fair to think they may follow the trend.? Thoughts???

Red, You were right on about the topography of that property. Before I walked around the complex, I had no idea how it was tucked into the hill, esp the pool. Do you think the caceres owners bought this? It would've been a smart idea, but I think someone beat them to it....It seems ideal for residential condo highrise based on the views and location, but due to the upscale highrise apartments it only fair to think they may follow the trend.? Thoughts???

The article did not sound like the property has sold yet, merely that the owners agreed to market the entire complex. To make it worthwhile, the land would need to sell for close to $100 per square foot. That may be attractive enough a price for a highrise or even several midrises. It will be interesting to see what happens. Highrise sales have flattened out, so the market may be tough for that option right now.

EDIT: Just talked to my friend. The property was just listed a few weeks ago. I think they have a year to sell it. During that time, no one can sell an individual unit. There is some minimum price that must be offered for the board to be authorized to accept. I don't know what that price is.

Edited by RedScare
  • 2 months later...
Another new restaurant/deli coming to 4500 Washington...

Raia's Italian Market

"Raia's Italian Market in Spring 2008.

Raia's Italian Market will bring the feel of a neighborhood grocery store and deli back to Washington Avenue.

Plan to enjoy our deli full of imported meats and cheeses, the old-fashion pizza oven, and a menu full of one family favorite after another.

If you would like to know if we will carry a specific good, feel free to email us with questions and suggestions. We look forward to meeting everyone and bringing the neighborhood grocery back to the neighborhood.

Email :

raia.italian.market@gmail.com

Address :

4500 Washington Ave

Ste. 200

Houston

TX "

Same shopping center as Blue Label Lounge (they're finishing up the patio), and Joy Yoga (open and doing well, I hear) and

James Craig furnishings looks like it should open soon.

Tried Raia's this weekend and -- to my great surprise (and perhaps chagrin) -- I really liked it.

My review is here at Houstonist, and another good review is here at Great Food Houston.

It's no Nundini's (but nothing ever will be), but I enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, the deli counter, the selection in the market and -- most importantly -- the food was actually quite good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
guadalajara is closing so that should discourage a few.

Two friends who went there for lunch today reported back that they got another year on their lease, but didn't have any additional info. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

It would make my damn day if they were going to stay open at least one more year... :)

Anyone on here know what is going in on the corner of Knox and Washington?

Just keeping tabs on the new building around the area and I think we have far surpassed the quota on wine bars, mexican restuarants, cleaners, mattress stores and check cashing places so I was hoping it was none of the above!

Heard a rumor the other day from a good source that there are several new pub/bars going in on Washington around the Heights/Shepard area... I think there were 4 mentioned however the only one I can remember is one the owners of Harp are putting in. Anyone have anymore info on others? This would be an awesome strip type environment especially if its a bunch of bars that don't charge a cover... Anyone been to Bricktown in OKC? I can see something along those lines happening up and down Washington, with bars lining the streets and restuarants filling in behind and around. Will be a neat area when everything gets completed.

Heard a rumor the other day from a good source that there are several new pub/bars going in on Washington around the Heights/Shepard area... I think there were 4 mentioned however the only one I can remember is one the owners of Harp are putting in. Anyone have anymore info on others? This would be an awesome strip type environment especially if its a bunch of bars that don't charge a cover... Anyone been to Bricktown in OKC? I can see something along those lines happening up and down Washington, with bars lining the streets and restuarants filling in behind and around. Will be a neat area when everything gets completed.

Wouldn't be surprising. This area seems to be passing Midtown. I like both areas, however I wish Washington were more walkable.

I'm not sure where you connection to Bricktown is coming in - I don't see them being similar at all, quite honestly. I wasn't really all that impressed with Bricktown when I was in OKC back in May...a step in the right direction, but I don't necessarily find it anything to aspire to, anyway.

That said, I was pretty impressed with the happy hour crowds on Washington yesterday. I wonder how long this bar/club boom will last?

I would think that if the businesses start getting put in, it will push the city to look into making it more walkable... I have no problem walking a few blocks while bar hopping/eating out... Nice street lights and big sidewalks arent that hard to fix... Its just the parking you have to figure out. I know in OKC they make a fortune on parking at night for the bars...

Was refering to the long walk/ strip type atmosphere.... Not the whole master plan as a whole. Obviously there wouldnt be a canal, Ford center, etc...

Edited by SaintCyr
Washington & Silver proposed mixed use:

29c1fnq.jpg

and small retail proposed on Washington (or maybe Center) and White:

302vrsl.jpg

wish i had some info on these, but alas i do not.... perhaps someone here does, though.

This was presented on this forum a while ago and I think it's a few years out, however Lovett has been doing a lot of work on a few buildings that front Washington Avenue.

• Like 1

The owners of The Harp are opeining an Irish bar across the street from Pearl Bar, where Chaines is (however the hell you spell it). I'm looking forward to this because the area needs a few more laid back bars.

Edited by ToolMan
Wouldn't be surprising. This area seems to be passing Midtown. I like both areas, however I wish Washington were more walkable.

I agree on the walkability issue, but I'm sure that it will eventually come to the area due to the amount of retail/mixed use environment that's approaching. It'd be nice if the city fixed the sidewalks and put up a unique "StreetScape" for Washington (or at least a section of the Corridor)...I've seen this work in many cities and it would do wonders for the street (IMO)

I agree on the walkability issue, but I'm sure that it will eventually come to the area due to the amount of retail/mixed use environment that's approaching. It'd be nice if the city fixed the sidewalks and put up a unique "StreetScape" for Washington (or at least a section of the Corridor)...I've seen this work in many cities and it would do wonders for the street (IMO)

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the "streetscape" improvements came with the light rail expansion...which is probably 10 years away or more.

As for valets and walkability, the truly urban hipsters can take the 36 or the 85 all up and down Washington, with stops every 2 blocks. As an added bonus, the 85 goes to Downtown and Midtown, and the 36 heads through Downtown on its way to Eastwood.

Now, THATS urban! :D

The motorized pedi-cabs were pretty busy for White Linen this year. I'd bet someone with an entrepreneurial spirit could set up a small transport that does nothing but run from the wow circle to houston ave on weekends and make some decent coin by carting the bar hoppers from one locale to another.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the "streetscape" improvements came with the light rail expansion...which is probably 10 years away or more.

As for valets and walkability, the truly urban hipsters can take the 36 or the 85 all up and down Washington, with stops every 2 blocks. As an added bonus, the 85 goes to Downtown and Midtown, and the 36 heads through Downtown on its way to Eastwood.

Now, THATS urban! :D

But, but, but... aren't there NON-urban hipsters riding on those. :rolleyes:

Is that a bookstore I see? That would be great. A bookstore is sorely needed around here.

Is that a bookstore I see? That would be great. A bookstore is sorely needed around here.

The building in that rendering is an existing one at the northwest corner of Washington and Silver Street. It extends from Washington through to Center and the part fronting Center Street currently is home to the Drake nightclub. The rendering itself is conceptual. A lot of retail developers do this kind of thing to help in marketing a building to prospective tenants.

The rendering showing the larger development is also conceptual at this point, as evidenced by the graphic artist's depiction of Washington Avenue as what appears to be a two-lane neighborhood street. That isn't the least bit realistic.

These places are on other boards, but here is a list of a few new Washington places:

(the 3rd) Bronx Bar - going in the shopping center between Max's/Molina's shopping center the Blue Label/Joy Yoga shopping center. There is a sign up (old white building), and remodeling going on.

Lush Lounge - on the other (east) side of the Blue Label/Joy Yoga shopping center. There is an alcohol permit sign up.

Taps House of Beers - Washington @ Reinermin, in the old red brick building, has an alcohol permit sign up. Seen a few people milling about, but there's still a bunch of junky cars inside of the building. Going to need some major refurb.

Across from Soma (on Washington), there is an old dry cleaner's building with another application to sell alcohol

OOOOOO Yippy! Maybe we really will get a laid back bar on washington with the harp place. Pearl bar is ridiculous these days. Brad and Bridgette had a vision for that place, and I really don't think this is it. I drove by last night around 1030 and there was a line of at least 40 people WAITING to get in! Are you serious?! I also was quite the little buisness lady last night and made 15 bucks by telling folks that were clearly not from the neighborhood that I would be happy to keep an eye on their cars if they parked them on the street in front of my house! Happy trails back to the woodlands, guy with the gigantic ford pickup truck!

The gentlemen who owns Laredo Taqueria came in to quite a deal of good fortune when he purchased the lot where the old red house once stood. He paid less than half the land value. Now he uses it all day for his taco place and at night is charging 5 dollars a spot to park there. On the positive side, there is someone watching the parking lots until 230 am, and it keeps the riff raff away from the payphone!

OOOOOO Yippy! Maybe we really will get a laid back bar on washington with the harp place.

Go to the Darkhorse Tavern. You can get laid back today, instead of waiting for something that will claim laid back, but end up Pearl Bar. Bryan, the owner, opened up before it was cool to open on Washington. Just a prediction, but nothing that opens west of Yale will be laid back, from the looks of things. Only the 6th Ward/Houston Avenue area has a chance.

EDIT: Oh and good job, margo. Reminds me of the entreprenuers around the Cotton Bowl back in the day. :D

Edited by RedScare