Washington Avenue Information & Developments

mhh222

Okay, what do you all think about the progress along Washington Avenue? I live in the Rice Military area and was so encouraged with the potential when I moved to this part of town in 2001. Now I don't know! On the plus side, the roundabout! Also the fact that commercially, it is starting to thrive and a lot of the blight (car repair shops, low end dealerships, etc.) is disappearing. How about Candelari's and El Tiempo?!? As to the negative, damn, where do I start??? Okay, here's a shot:

1. New townhome complexes (mostly ugly) with ugly walls facing Washington -- can think of at least three, one on the north side of Washington not far from the Blockbuster strip mall on Durham and the other two new ones east of Shepherd (by the Clark auto dealership) where Washington bends eastward. I heard that the new complex under construction by the roundabout, the one that just had the four alarm fire, is going to have a wall over twenty feet high -- what a disaster!

2. Suburban style CVS... UGHHH. Glad to have the shopping close to home, but couldn't they have respected the street-line and the urban context of the area? Guess not -- see what they did in midtown!

3. Uninspired new strip centers -- the one by CVS and the one on Shepherd are so disappointing (what's with the green/puse paint job on the latter???

4. The pawn shop on Durham is still there! Please go away, burn down, go out of biz, whatever...

5. Okay, your turn -- like to hear the positives too!

-- MHH

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like it the way it is right now.

-the new Chaise lounge is good.

-Walter's on Washington is a staple.

-Darkhorse Tavern is great

-The roadwork on the west end is done, love the roundabout also!...if we could just get people to use it correctly ;)

-They're redoing the whole stripcenter where O'reily's Autoparts and Eckards/CVS? was.

-El Rey is the bomb!

-The pawnshop building needs to stay....personally, I'd just prefer it wasn't a pawnshop.

-The townhomes towards the west end...well, I'm not sure how I feel about 'em

I actually like the way Washington is going along as well. I think while its not going to be an urban street that some people probably wish it would be, I think it could be basically a funky representation of all things Houston in a few years. It reminds me in some ways of the way lower Westheimer looks, but the roads on Washington are better and also things will be a little newer. I actually like that new plaza where Washington Mutual is, even though there is nothing else there right now. I saw that it looks like they've started moving ground too where that smoothie place is going to be located.

I agree it probably could have been another place where mixed retail/ residential would have been nice, but I think the mix of some of the stores/ restaurants going in is actually not bad.

The good:

Blight is being removed at a respectable pace. Old, unsightly (and, more importantly, unused) warehouses are being replaced by townhomes, apartments and new retail centers. Old, run-of-the-mill strip centers are being either refurbished or replaced by newer strip centers (strip centers, yes, but at least strip centers designed with something resembling forethought). Well-paid young professionals are living close in and nearer the city center, paying city property taxes, and with their dollars they bring the hope for better variety in both retail and cultural amenties. Finally, the Washington Renaissance is helping to connect the affluent River Oaks and near River Oaks communities with solid, middle-to-upper middle class neighborhoods to the north that were for a long time physically seperated by the railroad tracks, silohs, warehouses and dilapidated housing.

The bad:

The displacement of long-established immigrant communities, a frayed streetscape that needs to be repaired, oddball convenience stores or leftover gutted mom-N-pop buildings that are in desperate need of love and attention, and a visual lack of landscaping along the corridor. At the very least, one hopes that the longterm vision of the Washington Corridor project will include some design elements similar to the Almeda Road project that was completed some years ago. That said, the WOW roundabout is a good start, but the majority of Washington is severely lacking the same. Furthermore, the fact that Washington was designated as a potential rail corridor may have served to delay street repair for a while.

As for the townhomes themselves... hey, what can I say. It's subjective. Some like 'em, some don't. Que sera. There are quite a few townhomes, bungalows and the like in cities like Chicago and San Francisco that I personally don't care for but that doesn't stop the neighborhoods from being vibrant.

We'll see how it goes over the NEXT five years.

• 4 weeks later...

I like this list... I fall more in love with the Washington corridor everyday. I'm looking to buy a house, and everytime I look somewhere else (Museum District, Warehouse District, Midtown), I find myself comparing it to Washington and I know in my heart that Rice Military is where I want to be.

A few more positives to throw in:

- The street-level retail at those gorgeous condos/townhouses facing Washington.

- Those other remodeled warehouse townhouses facing Washington with the giant balconies.

- Two new winebars:

Cova's

Corkscrew (not open yet)

- The July 2006 opening of Target on I-10 - not really "Washington," but I consider it an asset.

- The Glendale Cemetary is sooo pretty.

- The Social is a very cool bar.

- The people obviously love it there - everytime a new restaurant or bar opens, it's immediately packed. The area is obviously begging for more.

...and some negatives:

- The crappy streets & ditches in Rice Military.

- The older homes that don't care about the upkeep.

- All the razor-wire chain link fenced places along Washington (esp near Studemont). [However - don't think they'll be there long. Behind the church on Wash & Studemont - MDGI is building some gorgeous townhomes. They have owned that land for a while, and I drove back there the other day and noticed that all the land around it (directly behind the places on Washington) have "Notice for variance request"s. This is a good sign.]

Anyways, good topic - hopefully someday soon I will be able to call Rice Military "home" too!

I don't like the millions of used car dealer ships, but what are you gonna do?

They're renovating that old stripcenter, the one that use to have the Walgreens. Alot of "hole in the wall" clubs are there as well, along with a few resteraunts, and tonwhomes. I think its making progress. I remember when the Social first opened, it was always so packed.

Compared to 1999, it seems as if all of the used car lots are gone. There are so many empty parcels for sale that it is only a matter of time before the street completely gentrifies. The western end near the traffic circle has really turned around. The eastern end is slower, but making progress.

Even Houston Ave is turning into townhomes.

Yeah, if anything, the current townhouse/retail center boom along Washington has created a certain amount of blight too, as some old scummy stores and auto dealerships have left, leaving behind their empty shells that have not yet been renovated. What really needs to happen in the long term, though (IMO), is that the COH needs to step up and invest in a large-scale neighborhood road reconstruction project, widening streets in the area, adding/fixing sidewalks and improving the lighting.

I understand that Washington is in line to be reconstructed, with a design similar to Almeda inside the Loop, but I'm more talking about those streets that feed into Washington, including Shepherd/Durham, Heights/Waugh and the many non-through streets going through the neighborhoods.

Yeah, if anything, the current townhouse/retail center boom along Washington has created a certain amount of blight too, as some old scummy stores and auto dealerships have left, leaving behind their empty shells that have not yet been renovated. What really needs to happen in the long term, though (IMO), is that the COH needs to step up and invest in a large-scale neighborhood road reconstruction project, widening streets in the area, adding/fixing sidewalks and improving the lighting.

I understand that Washington is in line to be reconstructed, with a design similar to Almeda inside the Loop, but I'm more talking about those streets that feed into Washington, including Shepherd/Durham, Heights/Waugh and the many non-through streets going through the neighborhoods.

Weren't there proposals on the table at one time for elaborate intersection upgrades at Houston Avenue & the section around Heights - Yale & Washington? I remember attending a meeting once where that was being discussed. I don't know if it got killed or what. I want to say the Washington Avenue Coalition was behind it, but I can't remember for sure.

Weren't there proposals on the table at one time for elaborate intersection upgrades at Houston Avenue & the section around Heights - Yale & Washington? I remember attending a meeting once where that was being discussed. I don't know if it got killed or what. I want to say the Washington Avenue Coalition was behind it, but I can't remember for sure.

Yes, there was or is. The group that promoted the roundabout at Washington and Westcott, also was behind the painting of the Houston Ave. railroad bridge, and has plans for 'signature' intersections at Heights/Yale? and Houston Ave.

What would help that thoroughfare tremendously would be a burying of the utility lines, repaving the street and sidewalk, and replacing the middle turn lane with a median. I suppose some new light standards would help as well. METRO's plans might figure into this, also. Depending on where the future line goes, the City may let them do it.

Was driving down Washington again this weekend...

That new car wash at Washington & Yale is an eyesore.

There are some gorgeous brick buildings on the end near downtown that are just begging to be renovated. I hope someone takes notice. (Like the Corkscrew wine bar & Darkhorse Tavern have done). Also, this and this were posted last year, but a restaurant supply person (Joe Presswood) owns the old firestation @ 1702 Washington. That's a good sign, I think.

And I love these... lots of art galleries / retail on the ground floor.

Washington12-13-04exterior.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the new development called Washington Point South? It's located adjacent to the Primeway FCU and across from Bank of America close the Heights intersection. I kind of find it peculiar that they call it Washington Point South, since it's on the north side of the street and Washington runs E/W.

Was driving down Washington again this weekend...

That new car wash at Washington & Yale is an eyesore.

There are some gorgeous brick buildings on the end near downtown that are just begging to be renovated. I hope someone takes notice. (Like the Corkscrew wine bar & Darkhorse Tavern have done). Also, this and this were posted last year, but a restaurant supply person (Joe Presswood) owns the old firestation @ 1702 Washington. That's a good sign, I think.

And I love these... lots of art galleries / retail on the ground floor.

Washington12-13-04exterior.jpg

The condos shown have offices on the first floor. These 500-sq. ft. office condos were sold fairly quickly but unfortunately they may be the cause the upper floor condos have been on the market for two to three years. I understand that some people are uncomfortable with the clientle the attorney office was bringing in, being so close to the city jail.

Guest danax
These type of buildings need to go up more often in Houston! Great!

But lwood's post above yours, if accurate, brings up an interesting point; adding retail below gets 2 thumbs up from all armchair urbanists but what if people don't want to live above an attorney, or pawn shop, or massage parlor or anything that attracts strangers. Will the residents have any say in what type of business is there?

In the old days, it was the business owners who lived above their own businesses. I remember I had a childhood friend who's dad owned a bar in Oakland and he lived above it. I would come over to play and the noise in his house was loud due to the pounding jukebox. (We did get to peek in through a trap door to check out the patrons, and that was cool for the first couple of times).

I know it's done here in the larger lofts and Post on Gray. I'd like to hear from anyone who's ever lived this urban fantasy of living above a small business. Good, bad, mixed?

But lwood's post above yours, if accurate, brings up an interesting point; adding retail below gets 2 thumbs up from all armchair urbanists but what if people don't want to live above an attorney, or pawn shop, or massage parlor or anything that attracts strangers. Will the residents have any say in what type of business is there?

In the old days, it was the business owners who lived above their own businesses. I remember I had a childhood friend who's dad owned a bar in Oakland and he lived above it. I would come over to play and the noise in his house was loud due to the pounding jukebox. (We did get to peek in through a trap door to check out the patrons, and that was cool for the first couple of times).

I know it's done here in the larger lofts and Post on Gray. I'd like to hear from anyone who's ever lived this urban fantasy of living above a small business. Good, bad, mixed?

My wife and I lived at the J Street Inn from October 2004 - February 2005 in downtown San Diego. We sort of lived above businesses, especially with the laundry and lobby below. Morton's Steakhouse was across our patio window. Down the block was a breakfast diner (a bit pricey but OK). The Chinese Museum was below us in the next building. Lots of stuff.

Good, bad or mixed? Definitely mixed...but good when you don't have kids and we don't yet.

The parking was a terminal inconvenience. We were allowed only one space and we had two vehicles. I got plenty of parking tickets trying to play around the free hours and the different days and different streets for the street-sweeping. Toward the end, I actually got to parking in suburban areas like National City or Lemon Grove (even Old Town) and taking the Trolley back to downtown.

The natural street noise was there...nothing unusual particularly on weekends. We also hit the sidewalks ourselves.

Going to the World Plus Market just around the corner was lovely, picking up some ground coffee and exclusive Euro chocolates.

Parking really sucked, the real con for me...secondly, the rental price for our unit was quite higher than something comparable outside of downtown.

We moved out to National City and that's an interesting part of the San Diego area. You lived off Wilshire...I wish I could have done that when I was single (my wife dislikes L.A.) during the "Reality Bites" mid-90s or something.

I think those Washington condos are a great design. I don't think they are that close to any jail? I wish they had sold faster, b/c as it turned out, other builders have probably taken the lesson as a warning rather than an inspiration.

FYI, in NYC the typical tenant in first floor offices of an upper-end building would be a doctor's office. You can make an argument that any kind of store is going to bring in the public to the development. I would be nervous in a smaller building about having any kind of chain as a tenant, since they might try to push you around. The solution is a secure point of entry--which in NY often means a doorman.

We may to remain satisfied for the next 10 years or so with separate but urban commercial and residential developments. The more interesting stuff may need to wait for the next wave...

I think those Washington condos are a great design. I don't think they are that close to any jail? I wish they had sold faster, b/c as it turned out, other builders have probably taken the lesson as a warning rather than an inspiration.

FYI, in NYC the typical tenant in first floor offices of an upper-end building would be a doctor's office. You can make an argument that any kind of store is going to bring in the public to the development. I would be nervous in a smaller building about having any kind of chain as a tenant, since they might try to push you around. The solution is a secure point of entry--which in NY often means a doorman.

We may to remain satisfied for the next 10 years or so with separate but urban commercial and residential developments. The more interesting stuff may need to wait for the next wave...

That's an interesting point of view, because the Kirby Lofts DT have just that type of social enviroment, and I notice that they have a doorman as well--of course, the Kirby Tower isn't exactly a "small" building either. Anyway, I wonder how they're doing with sales. I see a decent amount of activity going in and out, even if it's mostly curious folk wanting to see the setup. OTOH, I'm not sure if doormen will ever be a Washington Avenue thing.

This looks more like an adult learning center/community college

<_< Well, it is one of the better examples in Houston of a mixed-use streetscape that will encourage walking instead of driving... The design takes advantage of the views. A few more blocks like that, or if that design was put in a less edgy area, and that kind of development could do much better than this one has.

<_< Well, it is one of the better examples in Houston of a mixed-use streetscape that will encourage walking instead of driving... The design takes advantage of the views. A few more blocks like that, or if that design was put in a less edgy area, and that kind of development could do much better than this one has.

The "retail" is hidden...poor visibilty from the street, and the "views" are partially obstructed by those ridiculous columns.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first time to post out here, so I hope I've picked the "right" forum for this!

Does anybody have any info on a potential grocery store along Washington Avenue? Any rumors? Any known plans? I have not heard of anything ... just wondering if anybody "in the know" has!

As a resident of the area for over 8 years, that would be the icing on the cake for me. And as a spoiled inner-looper, driving ALL THE WAY over to the Kroger on W. Gray is getting old!

• 1 month later...
The "retail" is hidden...poor visibilty from the street, and the "views" are partially obstructed by those ridiculous columns.

maybe the retail isnt supposed to be visible. instead they may be trying to keep the townhome/residential look and not the commercial look.

There is a nice brick building being constructed on Washington, just North of I-10, on the right side of the street. Does anyone know what it is? Offices? Condos?

Sweet, development on Washington is always a plus. There wasn't any renderings on the site as to how big this may be?

There is a nice brick building being constructed on Washington, just North of I-10, on the right side of the street. Does anyone know what it is? Offices? Condos?

If you're talking about the one a few blocks down from Denny's, it's a brick company's store. They've been there for many years, but are finally building a brick structure for themselves.

(For those of you who do not know where this is ... if you were to exit Washington/Westcott off of I-10 and head north, the building is on your right before the road splits into Old Katy and Old Hempstead.)

Archived