Grand Parkway Expansion

Why do you think you can control sprawl? Why would you want to?

No I don't think I can contain sprawl, I just think it's unreasonable and in not environmentally friendly living so far away from the city. If everyone lived in the suburbs and drove everywhere the world would be a storm.

I just think it's unreasonable and in not environmentally friendly living so far away from the city.

Part of the thing about Houston is it's not downtown that's the only main force. People living in Cypress may actually work in say, the Energy Corridor or Memorial City. I know a couple in Pearland (okay, it's my cousin and his wife) who live in the "suburbs" but don't commute to Houston (their work is mostly on computers). When they do go to Houston, it's usually an excursion to go to shops or restaurants (and their car is a hybrid)

For sure.. You can look at it both ways. My mother is one of those people. She does consulting work for a company in Houston, but does almost all of her work from home.. (granted she does commute all the way from Lake Jackson once a week for meetings). It would just be nice if more people could be served by mass transit, to relieve traffic on our highways and provide timely/efficient/environmentally friendly alternate modes of transit, but it gets harder and harder to serve the population the further we continue to sprawl.

Mass transit unfortunately won't control sprawl or provide very much traffic relief. The only way to move a lot of people is to add more highways in developed areas...unfortunately NIMBYism will likely make any effort near impossible.

i agree it wont control sprawl, or provice much traffic relief, but it will provide an alternate mode of transit when traffic is crappy from so many people commuting due to the sprawl.

and yeah.. good luck with that. ha.. im not saying i wouldnt love to see certain highways and spurs be extended through new parts of the city, but even an impoverished/minority area like the East End managed to stop 225 from coming through.. imagine what a neighborhood like the heights would do if they tried to extend 290 into the city, or something else to those effects. its easier to build rail through dense regions then it is to build highways taking up huge ROW.

When said cousin lived on the Houston-Pearland border in 2009-2010 (single at the time), he often commented how Pearland needed a new highway basically going from 288 to 45 (or something along those lines), since the major roads were crowded commercial surface streets. Of course, since all of the area was relatively new single family homes, it wouldn't happen.

290 IS expanding, sort of, they took out a number of structures (including a few warehouses, old Malibu Grand Prix, most of Northwest Mall's parking lot etc.) to basically build a parallel highway connecting directly with Interstate 10). Hardy Toll Road is also extending as well.

No one wants to lose their home or business to highway construction. It sucks. It really does. But it's also hard to demand almost nothing changes as the world changes around them. Neighborhoods rise and decline.

As for the burial ground at Grand Parkway, just wait--it could be an architectural treasure years later.

It's unsustainable

Since Cypress is, as I mentioned before, unincorporated and cannot annex without Houston's permission, it will probably become part of Houston, therefore, any conflict you have with the "suburbanites" will become petty neighborhood bickering.

Since Cypress is, as I mentioned before, unincorporated and cannot annex without Houston's permission, it will probably become part of Houston, therefore, any conflict you have with the "suburbanites" will become petty neighborhood bickering.

Houston will never annex the residential areas of Cypress or Katy. These places will just be without proper representation because the Houston etj is way too spread out.

They used to say the same thing about Kingwood, Trae. If Houston wants to annex Katy or Cypress, they will. I would not be surprised at all if Cypress gets taken before the end of the decade. Katy is a little less likely, as Houston could simply leap frog the actual city limits and start building up out there by Pedersen Rd, towards Igloo, as the metro progresses westward.

They used to say the same thing about Kingwood, Trae. If Houston wants to annex Katy or Cypress, they will. I would not be surprised at all if Cypress gets taken before the end of the decade. Katy is a little less likely, as Houston could simply leap frog the actual city limits and start building up out there by Pedersen Rd, towards Igloo, as the metro progresses westward.

What would be the benefit for the COH to annex all of these residential areas and have to provide city services to them? Not to mention it would sway the city from moderate/slightly left leaning to the right. I believe igloo is in the Katy etj, but I'm not sure. I don't know why the city would annex cypress. There is way too much land in the city now and they can't maintain what they have. no need to expand.

What would be the benefit for the COH to annex all of these residential areas and have to provide city services to them? Not to mention it would sway the city from moderate/slightly left leaning to the right. I believe igloo is in the Katy etj, but I'm not sure. I don't know why the city would annex cypress. There is way too much land in the city now and they can't maintain what they have. no need to expand.

Well, there's a pretty solid tax base in Cypress, room for more expansion (Bridgeland, Fairfield) with more $$$ taxes, they already consider the major commercial districts (Target, Kroger, et. al.) a functional part of Houston as far as commercial taxes go, and they did annex Kingwood. However, as you mentioned, I have a good feeling that the reason they aren't doing it now is just for political reasons.

Edited by IronTiger

I just realized (from my friend mentioning something about construction in the area and me looking on the updated google maps) they are building overpasses on the grand parkway from Westpark, south to 69.. I had no idea they were (finally) building out that segment too. I thought they were just working on the segment from 290 to 45.

It's not sustainable.

Where do you suggest all the newcomers live? In tacky, small, highrise apartments in the city core? That's not exactly sustainable either. Or healthy. And, it ignores the fact that people buy houses because they want some room, a garage, and a yard.

• Like 2

I drove to The Woodlands today and saw that the overpass and ramps for the Grand Parkway interchange at I-45 are coming along. One thing I've noticed aesthetically is the interchanges at 290 and 45 are being constructed in the horizontal regional scheme even though they're located in parts of the district that call for the vertical regional scheme. It's not noticeable unless you're a road geek or a person who knows about the Green Ribbon project, but I thought that was kind of an interesting observation.

The "Katy area" has about 300,000 people and includes much more than the City of Katy. Cypress is of similar size probably. I'm glad they built most of this thing without frontage roads. It will look much better once growth comes around it.

I was attempting to point out the difference between katy and the katy area.

Houston will never annex the residential areas of Cypress or Katy. These places will just be without proper representation because the Houston etj is way too spread out.

What does Houston's etk being spread out have to do with whether or not an area is annexed?

What does Houston's etk being spread out have to do with whether or not an area is annexed?

Katy, Waller, Hempstead, or any other incorporated entity that might want to annex these areas has to get Houston's permission, which isn't easy to do. Houston will not annex residential areas, so...

What are these "schemes" of which you speak? Sounds interesting. 

They're design schemes used on TxDOT projects in the Houston District as part of the Houston District's Green Ribbon Project. They've been doing this since 2002-ish. The district is divided into three regions, northern, western, and southern. The northern region is north of I-10 and 290 and uses a vertical scheme to represent the piney woods. The western region is roughly south of I-10 and 290 and west of 288 and uses a horizontal scheme to represent open grasslands, and the southern region which is south of I-10 and east of 288 uses the wave scheme to represent the coast.

You can see examples here: http://www.my290.com/environmental/82-environmental/132-green-ribbon-project-p3.html

i figure traffic may drop initially when the tolls start, but once construction starts getting more severe along 290 i predict traffic will pick back up on the grand parkway. and by the time 290 construction is finished (and people stop taking GP as a detour) the areas along the grand parkway will be developed enough to sustain traffic on its own.