Minute Maid Moving To Sugar Land?

ProHouston

• 2 months later...

It looks like Minute Maid's move to Sugar Land is official with the sale of their building on St. James.

The Coca-Cola Co. has sold the Minute Maid Building in the Galleria area as part of the juice company's planned move to Sugar Land.

Cameron Management, Wachovia Bank and a group of local investors recently purchased the 351,000-square-foot office building at 2000 St. James Place for an undisclosed amount.

Remainder of story here...

• 2 months later...

Here's confirmation of Minute Maid's move to Sugar Land Town Square:

Minute Maid is moving its Galleria-area headquarters to Sugar Land.

The juice maker, a unit of Coca-Cola North America, will occupy 115,000 square feet of a 200,000-square-foot building under construction at 2150 Town Square Place across from Sugar Land City Hall.

The company was able to squeeze some economic incentives from the city, including a direct cash incentive of $240,000 per year for 10 years from the Sugar Land Development Corp.

View the remainder of the story here.

• 1 month later...
Talks are in the works for the Houston based Minute Maid division of Coca-Cola to move from Uptown to Sugar Land Town Square. This would be another huge shot in the arm for Sugar Land.

View the story here...

And it is only costing the taxpayers of Sugarland $2.4 million in corporate welfare! But that's OK, because we know Coca-Cola needs the dough.

http://robertwboyd.blogspot.com/2008/01/co...enterprise.html

• 11 months later...
The City of Sugar Land also gave a $2.4 million direct incentive to Minute Maid to relocate from the Galleria area, where it had operated for more than 25 years. However, the company had to agree to two conditions: Put its name on the outside of the office building and refer to Sugar Land as its headquarters location in all corporate materials.

Silly Sugar Land, people will eventually realize that you are really it's own city, and not some generic suburb of Houston . . . :rolleyes:

They really have an issue with this.

Reminds me of my Stafford/Texas Instruments/Houston. We referred to our office as either or, but Stafford wanted us to use only Stafford. No one knows where Stafford is outside of Houston.

Reminds me of my Stafford/Texas Instruments/Houston. We referred to our office as either or, but Stafford wanted us to use only Stafford. No one knows where Stafford is outside of Houston.

Except that Sugar Land was there before Houston grew out to it and does have an identity all its own. I don't know the history of Stafford, but Sugar Land is doing just fine as its own municipality.

Silly Sugar Land, people will eventually realize that you are really it's own city, and not some generic suburb of Houston . . . :rolleyes:

They really have an issue with this.

Well, you can't blame a city/town for wanting this. It really does help in the long run when companies are looking for a potential home and see the success of other big companies.

Besides, Minute Maid Inc, Sugar Land Texas, although misleading, has a nice ring to it.

Except that Sugar Land was there before Houston grew out to it and does have an identity all its own. I don't know the history of Stafford, but Sugar Land is doing just fine as its own municipality.

Well, it's obvious, with its close proximity to Houston, that Minute Maid would have preferred to reference Houston as their headquarters, but essentially, Sugar Land paid Minute Maid to not use Houston.

I can wait for someone to accidentally order business cards that reference Houston.

Besides, Minute Maid Inc, Sugar Land Texas, although misleading, has a nice ring to it.

The pairing together implies that they add sugar to their juices. . . :P

From Wikipedia, who dares change it? :lol:

r73pft.jpg

I'm glad that the City of Sugar Land was savvy enough to ensure that Minute Maid would be accurate in describing their corporate headquarters as located in Sugar Land, and $2.4M is probably a fair price to attract a corporate headquarters. I'm a Sugar Land voter and I'm willing to pay for jobs and good PR to come to my city.

Archived