Need Suggestions for Houston-Area ISP

Well, with my Comcast Internet down again, I'm about to the point where I'm willing to go through the hassle of changing ISPs. So for those of you not on Comcast in Houston, who have you had good experiences with? I'm looking for a minimum of 6Mbps downstream/384 Kbps upstream (ideally higher than that on the upstream), because I need that kind of bandwidth for some of the applications I run when I'm working from home.

I am really missing my reliable Time Warner Internet. I've had three or four times as many outages in the last two weeks with Comcast than I did in over four years with Time Warner.

Well, with my Comcast Internet down again, I'm about to the point where I'm willing to go through the hassle of changing ISPs. So for those of you not on Comcast in Houston, who have you had good experiences with? I'm looking for a minimum of 6Mbps downstream/384 Kbps upstream (ideally higher than that on the upstream), because I need that kind of bandwidth for some of the applications I run when I'm working from home.

I am really missing my reliable Time Warner Internet. I've had three or four times as many outages in the last two weeks with Comcast than I did in over four years with Time Warner.

My ComCrap service died this past Friday as well. They allegedly can't come out until tomorrow. A-Holes.

See if you have U-Verse available from AT&T. I've heard that they offer 6 Mb/sec down and 1 Mb/sec up. You can also get TV service from them.

I've already checked and U-Verse is available here. I know some of you have U-Verse -- how is the service? Any issues?

Since I travel during the week for work, we can't schedule a service appointment until Friday afternoon. I'm sure this will be the same story as it was last week. "I"m sorry, we somehow accidentally disconnected you and have no idea why it was done or how it happened." Fine, I can buy an accident every now and then. My entire cable got cut off two years ago when they came out to disconnect the next-door neighbor's box after she moved out of her apartment, and the technician accidentally pulled my service instead of her's. But for this to happen twice in one week is ridiculous. And I have remote training classes I have to teach online for work coming up in a few weeks. I have to have a reliable, truly high speed connection for that. I'm just glad last week and this week I wasn't teaching online classes, or I'd be dealing with upset clients and managers at work. This is not just keeping me from surfing the web and e-mailing friends. My office is at home.

Guest Marty

I been having intermittent outages in the last couple of days my Internet just went down just now at exactly at 8:30-8:42, the other night it happen around 11:00 for several hours. they said it was temporary but if this keeps up im thinking about going over to AT&T.

After talking to a few people and reading reviews on DSLReports.com, I've decided to go with Oplink, a local DSL provider. A friend who works in IT raves about them, and the reviews I found were pretty overwhelmingly positive. They have 6 Mbps/768 Kbps DSL with no PPPoE available for $44.95/month with no installation charge, and one month free. Given the bad experiences I've had in the past with SBC/AT&T, I really wanted to avoid that route. Ideally I'd love to keep my Earthlink over Comcast cable, because it's been so reliable, but after the last month when I've had nothing but trouble, I've lost my patience with dealing with Comcast's growing pains.

Archived