Fertitta Entertainment/Landry's

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe they'll just merge with the Pappas Bros. conglomerate.

I hope not. It would ruin the Pappa's group.

hmm...i am sure Fertitta will find a way to make this go away. he and his family are good at that.

I guess he just call on his relatives in the Mob to solve everything. After all that how he got his start.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

After a battle with creditors, Landry's Restaurants Inc. said Thursday it has amended its credit agreement and found committed financing to replace its 7.5 percent senior notes.

"The new proposed bank financing is on terms that are clearly less advantageous to the company than under its existing debt structure," said Rick Liem, Landry's chief financial officer. "If we are forced to draw on this stand-by facility, we will be required to pay higher interest, provide more security and have less flexibility on a shorter-term obligation."

As much as the Landry's properties add color to Houston, they have always been mediocre in the food department. I enjoy a day on the Kemah Boardwalk, but I don't go there for the quality of the food.

I wish the company the best because a lot of people depend on it. Even if the bank did find a way to liquidate to repay the note, the restaurants wouldn't shut down. they would just end up being owned by other companies.

There's an article in today's New York Times that talks about Landry's.

The response from Landry's was that it's working on an internal review of stock options that could cause it to revise its financial statements "going back more than a decade." The article says Landry's made $44.8 million in 2005. It apparently owes another $97 million to Wachovia, but Wachovia is being nicer about it than U.S. Bank.

Anyone want to buy a used shark tank?

Oh, don't get my hopes up.

I've always said that Landry's does mediocre better than anyone. It's a real shame what they've done to some of Houston's best restaurants: The Grotto, La Griglia, Anthony's (closed as part of that deal), Pesce, Brenner's, all of Kemah, etc.

The problem is that they've got a big chain mindset, but want to run high-end restaurants the same way. I this patron's opinion, it doesn't work very well. I've dined at their flagship restaurant, Vic and Anthony's, and felt that is was a mediocre steak house with high-end pretensions.

I for one would not mourn their being bought by someone else.

• 1 month later...

from the HBJ:

An independent proxy advisory firm opposes the election of three members to the compensation committee of Landry's Restaurant Inc., saying that the company's chief executive's pay package is excessive.

Proxy Governance Inc. said in its report issued Thursday that the compensation package of CEO Tilman Fertitta is more than 10 times that of the company's other five named executives in its proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

• 1 month later...
As much as the Landry's properties add color to Houston, they have always been mediocre in the food department. I enjoy a day on the Kemah Boardwalk, but I don't go there for the quality of the food.

I wish the company the best because a lot of people depend on it. Even if the bank did find a way to liquidate to repay the note, the restaurants wouldn't shut down. they would just end up being owned by other companies.

Right, as in Landry's recent sale of Joe's Crab Shack. And I agree, I don't go to Kemah for the food there. I'll just go up the road to Tookie's, thank you very much!

Right, as in Landry's recent sale of Joe's Crab Shack. And I agree, I don't go to Kemah for the food there. I'll just go up the road to Tookie's, thank you very much!

Hush up, or Landry's will buy Tookie's, too.

I wish Landry's would collapse. They ruined Kemah. Their restaurants blow.

• 10 months later...
Has anyone (besides me) got full blown food poisioning from a Landry's owned restaurant?

i eat at vic & anthony's, pesce, and la griglia all the time [ducking and running].

no food poisoning ever. but i do stay away from their lower end restaurants, not for fear of getting sick, but for more obvious reasons.

Has anyone (besides me) got full blown food poisioning from a Landry's owned restaurant?

I've eaten at a variety of Landry's establishments at least a couple of times of month for the past several years and I don't recall getting sick from the food.

i eat at vic & anthony's, pesce, and la griglia all the time [ducking and running].

no food poisoning ever. but i do stay away from their lower end restaurants, not for fear of getting sick, but for more obvious reasons.

I've eaten at Pesce (good stuff), but I've always been curious about La Griglia, is it all that and a bag of chips? I keep hearing that it is. V&A is nice, but the steaks aren't all that special to me. If I wanted to go on that level, I'd go to Papa's Steakhouse or go to one of Landry's Cheaper offers.

Also, I have never understood people's strong aversion to lower end dining. It's not like you're walking in and get instantly infected with E-coli or something. Have eaten at the various migrant taco joints, mom and pop places, the only time I've ever gotten sick was from eating at a Jack in the Box 10 years ago. Never stopped me from eating from there.

BTW, I like the two new food blogs that I saw added as signatures on this post from sheeats and neverfull. :)

Come meet us both next weekend as we are judging the "No Holds Barred" Chili Cook-off at Shady Tavern in the Heights on 10/11. If that doesn't tempt you, maybe $5 AYCE chili will.

and for the record, sheeats is the better blog ;)

Also, I have never understood people's strong aversion to lower end dining.

i have an aversion to lower end *chain* restaurants, like joe's crab shack or the olive garden. i LOVE low end divey mom and pop joints. it's where to get the best ethnic food in houston! himalaya and vieng thai come to mind.

i have an aversion to lower end *chain* restaurants, like joe's crab shack or the olive garden. i LOVE low end divey mom and pop joints. it's where to get the best ethnic food in houston! himalaya and vieng thai come to mind.

I have to agree with you on Joe's Crab and Olive Garden. I ate there a number of times and have generally thought of them as So-so. Olive Garden was always just crap to me, but when I am craving pasta and I have no other alternatives nearby they do in a pinch.

I have to agree with you on Joe's Crab and Olive Garden. I ate there a number of times and have generally thought of them as So-so. Olive Garden was always just crap to me, but when I am craving pasta and I have no other alternatives nearby they do in a pinch.

Try this the next time you'e craving pasta:

Boil some water.

Dump some pasta in it.

Drain it.

Eat it.

Considering you boil water on the stove, not in the oven, this really IS a problem.

I know!

When I do decide too cook something, I usually buy a deli sandwich in case my cooking goes wrong. Particularly after the stuffed chicken incident.

Archived