Lakes Of Fairhaven

I am interested in the community of Lakes of Fairhaven, which has no MUD taxes. The problem is I don't know what that means. Of course, I know that there isn't a MUD and one of the pros is that there are no MUD taxes. But, there's got to be a bunch of cons, right? Last summer when I visited one of the home builders in there, the sales lady said that instead of individual septic for each house, there was something else. Her vague explanation wasn't clear to me -- and since I'm ignorant about MUD and septic stuff and wasn't that serious about buying a new house at the time, I didn't press with any questions.

Anyway, now I'm interested again and need some information before visiting the sales people again. Please, can anyone explain some of the pros and cons of living in a community with no MUD? And what else is there, if not a MUD nor septic system??? Thank you.

Here's their resident's website:

http://lakesoffairhaven.net/act.html

Fairhaven is a fairly high-end community with homes on average going in the $500's. Methinks the plumbing issue won't be a big one. Still, worth checking.

I still don't even know where this development is. Is it up near Fairfield? Is Leyland Shores in that area as well?

I live there (Since 2006). I am not an expert but I believe they have there own well and treatment facility. This was built before the neighborhood was started. So at the end of the year you don't pay the MUD tax. The water and sewer lines are connected to the houses like any other "MUD" neighborhoods. So it is not a case where you have your own water well or septic tank. The only drawback is that in the beginning there was issues where a transformer would go out and the water would get cut off. But those issues seem to have been worked out since there has been no problems for awhile.

I live there (Since 2006). I am not an expert but I believe they have there own well and treatment facility. This was built before the neighborhood was started. So at the end of the year you don't pay the MUD tax. The water and sewer lines are connected to the houses like any other "MUD" neighborhoods. So it is not a case where you have your own water well or septic tank. The only drawback is that in the beginning there was issues where a transformer would go out and the water would get cut off. But those issues seem to have been worked out since there has been no problems for awhile.

So who is paying for operation and maintenance of said facilities?

I don't think it is from the HOA. That is a different company than manages the water. Besides the HOA is $750/ year although high for a place that doesn't have a pool or tennis courts or those type of amenities but about what you might expect to pay.

I don't think it is from the HOA. That is a different company than manages the water. Besides the HOA is $750/ year although high for a place that doesn't have a pool or tennis courts or those type of amenities but about what you might expect to pay.

Typically a MUD has a Operator Company for their facilities in the same way.

• 1 year later...
The difference is that you pay a monthly water bill which runs about 100.00 per month. A huge savings when you consider what the MUD taxes would be.

I've heard the same thing about Stable Gate, where they have low/no mud tax. They do have high water bills.

You could always approximate the annual taxes (which include MUD) by checking out a comparable house in the neighborhood on hcad. Then find out how much a typical water bill would be in the neighborhood versus what you'd normally spend, to figure out your net savings of no mud taxes....

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Lakes Of Fairhaven

Archived