Houston Methodist Willowbrook Campus

mrfootball

In an expansion that will triple the size of the hospital, Methodist Willowbrook will begin a $250 million construction project in August that will make it the largest medical facility in the Cy-Fair/Tomball market.

Complete with comprehensive cardiac services, a stroke center and a cancer center that will link with programs at the hospital's main campus in the Texas Medical Center, the expansion will make Methodist Willowbrook a regional medical center.

Between 600 and 700 positions will be created with the construction, according to Chief Financial Officer James Levermann.

"It will be like a new medical center," Levermann said. Since opening, the hospital has been at capacity and is usually on emergency room diversion status with area ambulance services due to high demand.

Read the rest here

I still think it's such a shame that they can't put a pediatrics section at Methodist Willowbrook. We took my little girl to their ER over Christmas -- BAD idea. If you have kids, make the drive to TxCH. They couldn't even get her IV started before they transported her to TxCH (IVs are required during transport). Had to have the EMT start it, and after three tries and numerous pats on the back from the Meth. WB nurses and the EMT at having "got it", the ER nurse at TxCH was appalled to find that it wasn't even close. I can't tell you how much worse our ordeal was because of their inability to do something as routine as start an IV on a kid. And don't get me started on their inability to read x-rays. Diagnosing pneumonia isn't THAT hard...

It's just a shame that they built a top-notch hospital out here that can't do a damned thing for our little ones.

I still think it's such a shame that they can't put a pediatrics section at Methodist Willowbrook. We took my little girl to their ER over Christmas -- BAD idea. If you have kids, make the drive to TxCH. They couldn't even get her IV started before they transported her to TxCH (IVs are required during transport). Had to have the EMT start it, and after three tries and numerous pats on the back from the Meth. WB nurses and the EMT at having "got it", the ER nurse at TxCH was appalled to find that it wasn't even close. I can't tell you how much worse our ordeal was because of their inability to do something as routine as start an IV on a kid. And don't get me started on their inability to read x-rays. Diagnosing pneumonia isn't THAT hard...

It's just a shame that they built a top-notch hospital out here that can't do a damned thing for our little ones.

Kind of ridiculous when you consider how many families there are with children out here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
I still think it's such a shame that they can't put a pediatrics section at Methodist Willowbrook. We took my little girl to their ER over Christmas -- BAD idea.

I can vouch for that.

I made a promise to never set foot in that hospital again after the awful way we were treated when we brought our 5 year old into the emergency room.

I was so mad I nearly assaulted the doctor when he stuck his chest in my face. :angry2:

• 7 months later...

Just an update: The expansion topped out last month. I actually work for the hospital-- it's interesting watching the construction up close as the new building starts right outside our windows. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they had planned for this particular expansion after the last expansion (2004). They are having to build a new stairwell near the ICU, because the skybridge on the third floor barrels through both the ICU break room and the north stairwell in order to connect to the main hallway. The patients aren't particularly fond of the noise, and neither are we, however, the floorplans for the new building are exquisite.

I see many of you have had poor experiences with our ER. It all stems from the fact our hospital is severely undersized for the population area, and all areas of the facility are at max capacity nearly 100% of the time, causing everything to back up to the ER. In the last year, we opened an observation unit out of some creatively used shell space and then opened a temporary new ER extension which has streamlined things a bit (I've experienced this from the patient side too, unfortunately). It's helped somewhat, but obviously we really need that new building with the 32+ bed ER.

I also hear some of the medical beds in the current building will be devoted to pediatrics after the dust settles.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Methodist Willowbrook Campus Expansion
  • The title was changed to Houston Methodist Willowbrook Campus

Archived