Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA At 808 Pease St.

NotYetYuppie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like the old YMCA building, and I understand that the Y wants a new building, and it's great that they are building it on a parking lot.

Too bad the new owners can't find a way to use the old building rather than tearing it down. Hopefully it won't become a surface lot or sit around empty like the Savoy and Days Inn and Central Bank buildings... :(

That pattern has already been established for Houston. You really think this will be an exception?

I like the old YMCA building, and I understand that the Y wants a new building, and it's great that they are building it on a parking lot.

Too bad the new owners can't find a way to use the old building rather than tearing it down. Hopefully it won't become a surface lot or sit around empty like the Savoy and Days Inn and Central Bank buildings... :(

I took an involved tour of it years ago when I was in college and needed a job, so I applied to be its "night watchman." It's absolutely huge, much larger than it looks. I remember seeing the old raquetball courts filled with junk, mostly in the dark. Slightly strange to see. As I recall there are large portions that aren't even used at all. I also wish somebody would find a use for it rather than tear it down. But in Houston, the thinking is that if it's not new, it sucks. It's in the water in this town, and it's very frustrating.

I also wish somebody would find a use for it rather than tear it down. But in Houston, the thinking is that if it's not new, it sucks. It's in the water in this town, and it's very frustrating.

You can spin it that way, and I can spin it as a sort of aspirational motto: "We will make it work; we will do it better; we will do it cheaper."

Sentimentality be damned.

I took an involved tour of it years ago when I was in college and needed a job, so I applied to be its "night watchman." It's absolutely huge, much larger than it looks. I remember seeing the old raquetball courts filled with junk, mostly in the dark. Slightly strange to see. As I recall there are large portions that aren't even used at all. I also wish somebody would find a use for it rather than tear it down. But in Houston, the thinking is that if it's not new, it sucks. It's in the water in this town, and it's very frustrating.

I'm late to this conversation so this might have been covered..

But perhaps its cheaper to tear it down and sell off the lot versus trying to deal with things like asbestos abatement and other type remedial obstacles? I'm asking because I don't know and I'm trying to find logic like everyone else as to why it would be torn down. To me, it defeats the purpose of building a new building on an old parking lot if you're just going to turn around and tear down another building and create a parking lot.

Has anyone written to their local congressman, or Sheila Jackson Lee? She's pretty good about drumming up publicity. I certainly wouldn't want to put an organization like the Y in a tough spot, but surely someone would care enough about this building for it to be preserved.

As far as I know, the land has already been sold to Chevron. It'll be a placeholder for awhile but will eventually hold a tower to add to their growing downtown presence.

The best we can hope for in the interim is that they use the newly vacant lot as a pocket park for their employees rather than a surface parking lot.

As far as I know, the land has already been sold to Chevron. It'll be a placeholder for awhile but will eventually hold a tower to add to their growing downtown presence.

The best we can hope for in the interim is that they use the newly vacant lot as a pocket park for their employees rather than a surface parking lot.

Why? A parking lot is something we can use while a park for their employees is not.

They are, indirectly sometimes - just ask their community relations/corporate giving department

Yeah, for one-offs maybe that they get a PR return from. I think the shareholders would cry foul if they entered into an ongoing expense for little PR return that they might get from people seeing a sign about a fairly small park brought to you by Chevron. Besides, I really don't see many using it other than Chevron employees or maybe people working at Wedge, with Discovery Green sucking much of the park interest in downtown.

Not really. DG is empty most of the time during the day (other than when kids are out of school or there is an event there).

As are most parks, but I wasn't talking about weekday business hours, necessarily. DG has quite a few people after 5 PM, and the weekends are downright busy.

Besides, I stated that DG is taking a majority of the park interest in downtown, regardless of what little park interest that might be. Which park downtown is busier than DG? Tranquility? Sam Houston? Root Memorial Square? No, these parks are all deserted most times, certainly moreso than DG. So yeah, DG is taking a majority of the existing park interest in downtown.

• Like 1

Besides, I stated that DG is taking a majority of the park interest in downtown, regardless of what little park interest that might be. Which park downtown is busier than DG? Tranquility? Sam Houston? Root Memorial Square? No, these parks are all deserted most times, certainly moreso than DG. So yeah, DG is taking a majority of the existing park interest in downtown.

Are you not counting the homeless at Tranquility and Root Memorial :P jk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I just received a post card I bought off eBay. It is an image of the YMCA building from about the time it was first built. The image is not a photograph. It looks more like a print of a watercolor. It is very neat and I'm glad I have something to remember the 'Y' by. I used to work out there when my office was nearby. I even used to get my hair cut at the barber shop on the first floor. Lately I've been going to the Trotter Y on Augusta.

You should scan and post it.

• 1 month later...