Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA At 808 Pease St.

NotYetYuppie

The people at the Downtown YMCA told me that they have bought a lot a couple of blocks away and will move locations in the next couple of years. It will be nice to have a newer, updated YMCA, but I wonder what will happen to the old building?

The old building will come down, as what is the financial value of that building? The Y can't give the land away -- they need to sell the block to have $ to put into the new building. Someone could come in and buy the block, but the highest & best use is office space or office-related use.

Would be great to use it for residential, but residential can't compete with office space -- especially in this market. You'd have to have a lot of people willing to pay big bucks to live there, in the middle of office towers. A lot of engineer-types there -- KBR, Chevron -- and they're not your typical high-dollar inner city residential demographic (hey, love those engineers, but they're just not the demographic). You'd have some view, but not like many other locations.

The old building will come down, as what is the financial value of that building? The Y can't give the land away -- they need to sell the block to have $ to put into the new building. Someone could come in and buy the block, but the highest & best use is office space or office-related use.

Would be great to use it for residential, but residential can't compete with office space -- especially in this market. You'd have to have a lot of people willing to pay big bucks to live there, in the middle of office towers. A lot of engineer-types there -- KBR, Chevron -- and they're not your typical high-dollar inner city residential demographic (hey, love those engineers, but they're just not the demographic). You'd have some view, but not like many other locations.

I agree, that area would, more than likely be office spaces for a huge tower. If they were smart, they'd build a small facility for out of town business people, as the only hotel in the area would be The Crowne Plaza. It's relative remoteness to the other city's amenities inspite of it only being a few blocks from midtown, is formidable enough to make it an island unto itself after dark.

If a new tower with some residential built inside could spur some midtown development to move a bit closer to Travis along gray, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

With Miami's economic problems looming, I wouldn't doubt if building type would shift to your typical officer towers and/or hotel combinations.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I live at the Downtown YMCA and rumors abound on the staus of the building. One is that an oil comany has bought the residence part for offices after they renovate it. Another is they bought the whole thing and are going to tear it down. Anhother has the y moving a few blocks south and having a residence or not having one. The building should be on the National Register. This woudl be the second historical Y6 torn down the first being the 1908 building. I know there was an even older one built in chartered in 1885. Anyone have any pics of the older ones or even the one now on Louisiana when it was newer?

No they would build another one a few blocks south. There are a few large tracts of land in Midtown and I have been told they own one of them just not sure which one.

I hope they don't tear it down/close it.. I just got a membership there! :blink:

No they would build another one a few blocks south. There are a few large tracts of land in Midtown and I have been told they own one of them just not sure which one.

I had a good feeling that building was slated next for demolition. :o

With the newer and much more modern 24-Hour Fitness places being built all around its not suprising that this place will go away for good. It seems so out of date and out of place in that spot. The building is not worthy of any historical significance other than old memories. We had a family member that went there as a kid so I know its old. Good luck to you that have invested $ here.

Gyms are living hell when it comes to a refund. New topic I know... -_-

Today we found out that the last day to live in the Downtown YMCA is going to be at the end of June 2010. There is a new one being built near Main in Midtown that may or may not have housing. This building is historic. Hiow do I go about saving it?

Today we found out that the last day to live in the Downtown YMCA is going to be at the end of June 2010. There is a new one being built near Main in Midtown that may or may not have housing. This building is historic. Hiow do I go about saving it?

What is architecturally significant about it? I've seen it from the outside and nothing really stands out (for me) other than it is older than everything else around it.

I am not being flippant, but I've never been on the inside. Am I missing something?

Yes the inside area is beautiful. Not the rooms per se as they have undergone renovation twice over the years.

What is architecturally significant about it? I've seen it from the outside and nothing really stands out (for me) other than it is older than everything else around it.

I am not being flippant, but I've never been on the inside. Am I missing something?

And let's look on the bright side,

(1) Chevron will most likely turn this into attractive greenspace until the figure out what to do with the land. I wonder if they will gate it off for employee use only?

(2) When the Y builds (the article said downtown, not midtown), then another surface lot will bite the dust. And there is plentiful street parking over there as well as the 250-space lot they will have.

I'm sad to see the building go, but this really is a net positive for that side of downtown.

I wanted to complain about the loss of this building, but it was immediately apparent that it was probably impossible to reasonably do anything with it. Still, sorry to see it go.

Not being argumentative, but why don't you think anything could be done with it? There are already residences inside, why not turn the entire thing into a neat loft/apartment deal? You could use the existing lobby as...a lobby, use some of the existing gym space as...gym space for the residents, and turn the rest into cool apartments.

That side of downtown could use a residential space. I know; I used to work at Continental and passed the old YMCA every day on my way to work. It's a terrible shame to see it go.

I know others in the thread claim not to see the beauty in it, but I always thought (and still do think) that it's a lovely building, especially in contrast to all the modern skyscrapers that surround it. I think it's a little gem in that end of town, and it will be a terrible shame to see it go. :(

321_1024x768.jpg

Gotta agree that there are plenty of things that could be done with the existing building. However, this is Houston and that is prime property (although there are empty blocks all around it). It is not seen as the "highest use" to save it so it will come down. It's the so-called free market at work.

I realize that not every building can be saved. But there are some that should and we are running out of those in Houston. This is one of them.

Boston's land prices are way higher than Houston but things are saved all the time. The newest is the Liberty Hotel in the old Charles Street Jail. The jail sat empty from 1990 until 2007. Now, it houses a 298 room, 5 star hotel. Clink Restaurant sits diners in the old cells. The Alibi Club is in the old "drunk tank." There's another hotel (Jury's) in the old Police Station. A local police station (D-4) was turned into Starck designed condos. Right now, the old Russia Wharf is being restored and a tower added to it.

I am just amazed that in a downtown with seemingly as many empty parcels as occupied ones, I am amazed that things keep getting torn down.

Not being argumentative, but why don't you think anything could be done with it? There are already residences inside, why not turn the entire thing into a neat loft/apartment deal? You could use the existing lobby as...a lobby, use some of the existing gym space as...gym space for the residents, and turn the rest into cool apartments.

That side of downtown could use a residential space. I know; I used to work at Continental and passed the old YMCA every day on my way to work. It's a terrible shame to see it go.

While I agree that this building would make a great residential space, IMO we are about 2 decades from that side of downtown being able to sustain anything like that. If the northern reaches of downtown, with arguably better housing stock and retail/restaurant amenities is anemic at best, then there just isn't enough demand around the Y other than the fact that the Randall's is closer.

With all that said, I think it *would* be interesting if Chevron converted it into some sort of corporate apartments for their visiting employees. However, I'm sure it is cost-prohibitive to do so.

With all that said, I think it *would* be interesting if Chevron converted it into some sort of corporate apartments for their visiting employees. However, I'm sure it is cost-prohibitive to do so.

I look forward to the day when Houstonians (and the rest of the country) become stewards and conservators of our history, instead of worrying so much about cost-prohibitiveness. I think it's a stage of maturity which we simply haven't reached yet. In the end, not everything is about money. :(

I doubt many people remember that the downtown YMCA was also South Texas Jr. College. During the mid 60's it was also known as Draft Dodger University and Sko-Pro (scholastic probation) State.

I am a semi proud alum. As I remember it, the building was actually set up pretty well for what it was.

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...s/SS/kbs28.html