Phoebe Needs HAIFers' help...

Parrothead

Hey there HAIFers,

Our daughter Phoebe was just diagnosed with autism two months ago. My family and I are walking for the Autism Speaks Walk in October at Reliant Stadium to promote awareness and a cure or treatment.

I know it is a little unorthodox to "pimp" a charity here, but because it directly affects my daughter and many of you were here when she was born, I was hoping I could impose on you all to just check out her page, or even join our team--the more walkers we have, the merrier a time it will be!

Below is the email I sent to our friends. The link to our team page for donations and joining is at the bottom.

Even if you can't donate, I would appreciate it so much if you could keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much,

Polly

Phoebe needs your help in raising $2000.00 for autism awareness!

1469b9deaeae83.jpg

Our team is called the Feebs Fanatics, and we're walking in October for Autism Speaks, a non-profit group created to promote awareness and a cure/treatment for autism. You may or may not know that Miss Feebs has been affected by this disease, which is becoming more prevalent across the United States every day. According to the CDC, 1 in 150 children are being diagnosed with some form of autism. In Phoebe's case, she has great difficulty communicating--even the most basic needs, i.e. a drink, hungry, etc...things she should be able to do easily via signing or speech. Instead, we have to constantly guess or assume what she wants. She "stims" (stimulates) by eating books, playing with toys inappropriately, and "shaking" things like keys or anything else that dangles, for very long periods of time. She loves music and her shows, and by all accounts is a very smart little girl. Our hope is that she will one day be in Kindergarten with her peers and that by adulthood, her autism will be just a faded memory of a few learning difficulties that she was able to overcome.

Phoebe is our gift from God. Always smiling or laughing, she is a beautiful, wonderful child that deserves the very best we can give her. Please help us find the reason this is happening to her and to other little children like her so that we can help her become the very best Phoebe we know she can be!

Visit the FEEBS FANATICS page below and DONATE NOW--or join our team to Walk for Research on October 27 at Reliant Stadium. Thank you so much!!

PLEASE CLICK HERE to check out FEEBS' PAGE!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Is anyone else going to help?

Mark and I donated. This is a worthy cause.

Will guilt trips work?

I'd love to see HAIF put together a few grand for this cause. Mark and I have made a good start (though I don't know what he donated).

I know I already PMed you guys, but I would still like to thank you so much! Architectural PRGirl too!! I don't expect anything, really, if people could just read up a little on it, awareness is the key as in any disease or disorder. I am attempting to edit some video together to put on YouTube so you all can meet my sweet little girl and see how far she's come. She was completely non-verbal two months ago (after having about 5 words at 18-19 mos and dropping them) and now she's trying hard to say about 10 different words. It's truly amazing what she does every day. She has a LONG way to go, but we have her in the very best therapy we can afford (ABA therapy). She has speech therapy twice and week and O/T once a week. She is actually starting to use a spoon!! It seems like such a small thing but it is HUGE, esp if you know her! She has been such a blessing to me and I thank God every day for showing me that!!

Thanks again for your help and support!! :)

jmancuso, wow! That is really amazing that you started talking at 6! So many developmental windows close by that time, I am very happy you were not subjected to that. Did you have speech therapy often? Feebs gets it twice a week and sometimes I wonder if that's enough.

I just want to thank everyone again. RedScare, sev, spiderman, Chamo, I really appreciate your donations. Mark, thank you so much for doubling your donation! I know I have been in debates with many of you, but your character comes shining through when you see past party and personal differences to help one who cannot help herself! :wub: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived