Kendall Mansion On Market St.

lunchbox

The other day my dad, who works for TXDoT as an inspector, and I were driving on East BW8, near I-10. When we got up to the inter-change, he told me that when they were building the roads in that area, that the state acquired a lot of right-of-way. Pretty much they tore down EVERYTHING in their way, including an old mansion (on the South side of I-10, but North of the toll bridge). He told me about touring the munitions bunkers that are in that area, too (those were mentioned in a previous thread). When I was little (like four years old), he would drive by the work site on the weekends, and take a look around- making sure that barricades were in place, etc. Sometimes he would take me with him. When he started talking about the house, I started to VAGUELY remember seeing a house there. He said that it was two stories and had a large gate around the property.

Does anyone have any information on this house/mansion, or has this been posted in a previous thread?

• Like 1

The other day my dad, who works for TXDoT as an inspector, and I were driving on East BW8, near I-10. When we got up to the inter-change, he told me that when they were building the roads in that area, that the state acquired a lot of right-of-way. Pretty much they tore down EVERYTHING in their way, including an old mansion (on the South side of I-10, but North of the toll bridge). He told me about touring the munitions bunkers that are in that area, too (those were mentioned in a previous thread). When I was little (like four years old), he would drive by the work site on the weekends, and take a look around- making sure that barricades were in place, etc. Sometimes he would take me with him. When he started talking about the house, I started to VAGUELY remember seeing a house there. He said that it was two stories and had a large gate around the property.

Does anyone have any information on this house/mansion, or has this been posted in a previous thread?

My father-in-law was a cop in that area in the 50s. I don't know if it is the same place you are talking about but here it goes. He told me about a place they used to keep an eye on. He refered to it as The Kendall Mansion. It used to belong to a madam who died unded mysterious circumstances and was supposed to be haunted. All the rooms were shaped like a diamond and had a series of hidden passages that connected all the rooms. If I remember right it was on street named Lakeside off of Market. He said the madam was found dead under the rear tires of her car and ruled an accident, they said it rolled over her when she got out to open the gate at the entrance. People report seeing red lights on in the house even thought there was no power to the house. I have gone looking for it but have never been able to find it.

joe

there was a huge house on Market St, last time I was there was like 10 yrs ago...you really cant see it cause of all the overgrown bushes around the gate. It was way west of Sheldon Rd. There was alot of prostitution around the area at some apartments nearby that I think burned down

I can't find anything on Google. There must have been a few old large homes out there. I work with a guy that has told me before this thread that his family used to own a very large old custom house built way back when, that was on several acres of land. The man that built it left it to my co-worker's grandmother because she helped take care of him when he was sick. There was some freaky haunted stuff at this particular place too. It was torn down as well. The location of the home was further east, I-10/Dell Dale.

Edited by EatSleepMOD

This is a really interesting thread, guys! Excellent information thus far ~ I'm going to do some digging when I get home from work and see what I can come up with as well, but if anyone has any more information on this place, do share! That'd be neat if this was the mansion texianjoe speaks of.

b

• The title was changed to Kendall Mansion On Market St.