I Have Hope For Midtown

I moved to Midtown a little over a year ago. I live on the extreme east side of the area near 59. I started reading this board about 18 months ago.. actually before I invested and moved into the area. Professionally, I have had an interest in the area for over 5-7 years. In my time living in the area, I have read this board as a "troll" and have never posted until tonite. When I decided to move into the area, I was very encouraged by the prospect for continued growth in the retail and the residential growth. During the last year, I actually became aware of a lot of issues that were not apparent to me prior to moving to Midtown. I allowed myself to become a little discouraged by some of the realities that were not obvious prior to my residency. I actually wondered .. had I made a good choice in investing my future in this area. However, during the last several months.. and for a lot of reasons....I realized... while Midtown is far from realizing its full potential... the investment capital required to move the area forward is soon to heading our way. While most investment capital for future development moves away from the initial core of investment... Midtown is unique in the fact that a lot of the development has occurred away from the center of midtown primarily West, South and recently to the North and East ....As I review the development into these outlying areas......I still see a lot of positives for Midtown.... wide streets, good drainage, easy access to major freeways, close proximity to Downtown and all outlying areas (North/South/East and West).....My insight and intuition projects that over the next 2-5 years.. investment capital will accelerate into the core of Midtown and the area will experience a boom that we all have been waiting to see. It most likely will not be as "pedestrian" as most have long for....... since most Houstonians.... ( and most of the US citizens have a love affair with their autos)..... I hope to inspire some comments. Whatcha think?

I think you're more realistic that many on the Midtown Management District Board. I think you're right on where you say that there are good things going on but at the same time there are some negatives that come with its location (homeless, blight, etc).

many in midtown find that having wide streets is a negative as it doesn't promote walking.

currently land values along the core are extremely high which why a big reason why development has been non existent in the area.

Sounds like you're open to general development vs development that is more pedestrian. that is a good thing as you won't be disappointed in the end.

It would be great if there were more homeowners like you in Midtown. Imagine what that place could be if everyone was as involved, and interested in their neighborhood as people in the Heights.

I'd like development in Midtown to be a least a bit pedestrian friendly. Things live the CVS shouldn't happen. It is a nice area to live in though. If I was in my early-20's and single, AND I worked Downtown or somewhere else along the Red Line or University Line, I would live there.

currently land values along the core are extremely high which why a big reason why development has been non existent in the area.

This is the critical issue. Land values in a lot of Midtown have gotten beyond the point at which they can support lower-density projects, but the higher density stuff costs more to build and ultimately to buy or lease, except that the land values rose so quickly that it didn't give much of a chance for supportive retail to develop. The result is sort of a tricky circumstance where only higher-income singles and childless couples can or would ever want or can afford to live there, except that there are better urban environments at the same price level in other neighborhoods.

• The title was changed to I Have Hope For Midtown

Archived