HAIF - Houston's original social media

Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark

Not sure exactly what neighborhood that is.

Push under way to build a skate park on Memorial

City sets aside 'alternative' sport site; funds sought for construction

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

RESOURCES

PUBLIC MEETING

Public Use Skateparks for Houston will meet at 7 tonight at the Fonde Recreational Center, 110 Sabine. It is open to the public.

For more information of PUSH, visit the Web site at www.pushhouston.com.

As Houstonians come to grips with the fact that their hometown has once again been labeled the "fattest city in America," a grass-roots group is hoping to use that designation to create awareness for the need to promote non-traditional sports in the city, specifically, a skate park.

Public Use Skateparks for Houston, or PUSH, was created late last year to bring a state-of-the-art skateboarding facility to the city.

So far, the group has found a willing partner in the city's Parks and Recreation Department, which has allocated about 40,000 square feet of land at the intersection of Memorial Drive and Sabine Street for what could soon become the Central Houston Skate Park.

Full Chronicle article here,

Just west of downtown proper. Think about the Sabine Lofts, then look a bit to the north.

Although, looking at a Key Map, 110 Sabine looks like it would be closer to Allen Parkway than Memorial.

EDIT: I see I didn't read the article correctly. THe meeting is being held at 110 Sabine but the park is being proposed for land near the intersection of Memorial & Sabine.

Although a skate park is needed, I do hope that they do not take greenspace and use it for the skate park. The skate park is going to nothing but concrete and there are far better areas than the this area to put a skate park IMO. Aren't they trying to connect the green space along the Bayou. This would be another big concrete block in the way.

in order to preserve greenspace they should go with a skate plaza vs. traditional skatepark. other cities go this way for a nice recreation/park area, complete with fountains and benches. it works well for mixed use in urban areas but i'm not sure how pedestrian friendly the location is. before this site crashed my son posted a drawing of one he visited in utah and it was well received. i'll check and if he still has a copy i'll put it back up.

debmartin

i found it \/

skateplaza4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nah..this is for skateboarders, and stuff. They have a bunch of ramps where they can do flips and stuff, as well as a bunch of other whatever tricks skaters do.

• 1 month later...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho....2cccdb431.html

Houston could soon be home to one of nation's largest skate parks

08:02 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 31, 2005

By Matt Musil / 11 Sports

We all know skateboarders and pedestrians don't mix, so there is an effort to get the skateboarders a place to call their own.

"We have one of the wealthiest cities in America, but for skateboarders, there's nothing," said Barry Blumenthal, Public Use Skateparks for Houston.

The proposed skate park will be centrally located, just west of downtown Houston in Buffalo Bayou Park.

The city has donated 38,000 square feet of land, which would make it one of the largest skate parks in the U.S.

"It would take our ability to work with these kids to a whole other level," said Charles Rotramel, Youth Advocates, Inc.

Supporters of the new park hope to be able to break ground next year.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

We all know skateboarders and pedestrians don't mix, so there is an effort to get the skateboarders a place to call their own.

"We have one of the wealthiest cities in America, but for skateboarders, there's nothing," said Barry Blumenthal, Public Use Skateparks for Houston.

The proposed skate park will be centrally located, just west of downtown Houston in Buffalo Bayou Park.

The city has donated 38,000 square feet of land, which would make it one of the largest skate parks in the U.S.

"It would take our ability to work with these kids to a whole other level," said Charles Rotramel, Youth Advocates, Inc.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

GREAT story, Texasboy!! Bring on the Skate Park. I welcome it with opened arms!!

:lol::lol::lol: Bring on the X Games!!! :P

• 2 years later...

it's only one of the largest and coolest world class in ground skateparks in the US!!!

i think its going to be incredible to have this in houston...although it seems to be finished in may the grand opening seems to be june 1st 2008...from pics, it looks to be nearly completed for the most part except landscaping and perhaps some sort of building if they decide to build one for events etc...

skaters from all over the country will come here to skate and hopefully lots of events and competitions will take place here!

Taken from Houston Chronicle Feb 2008:

Feb. 7, 2008, 11:10PM

SITE NEAR DOWNTOWN

Skaters are eager to flip, spin and slide

Still being built, skateboard park has a spot for all experience levels

By ROBERT CROWE

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Standing near the construction site like a couple of eager 13-year-old boys, Jason Kendall and Richard Sellers could not contain their excitement upon glimpsing the epic skate park developing near downtown.

"It's absolutely incredible; it defies description. It has so many features," Kendall, a 37-year-old Houston native, said Wednesday while his buddy used a cell phone to snap photos of the smooth concrete bowls, ramps and pipes.

These old-school skaters, with a sprinkling of gray hair, stopped by the site Wednesday to sneak a peek after hearing that the 30,000-square-foot park, one of the country's largest, is starting to take shape. Houston already has six public skate parks, but the seventh will be in a league all its own.

"I'll be here opening day," said Sellers, 36. "This is world-class without a doubt. ... This is what Houston needs."

Construction on the Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark on Sabine Street near Memorial Drive could be complete by the end of May. A grand opening is set for June 1, weather permitting.

The state-of-the-art park was funded with $2.5 million in private donations.

Construction began in October after attorney Joe Jamail donated $1.5 million to the Houston Parks Board in honor of his wife, Lee, who died last year.

For all experience levels

Three years in the making, the park started as a grass-roots fundraising effort by the nonprofit group Public Use Skateparks of Houston. The Parks Board donated an estimated $4 million worth of land situated along Buffalo Bayou in the shadow of Houston's skyline near jogging trails and a disc golf course.

"We expect this thing to draw people from all over the country," said Trent Rondot, Parks Board project manager.

The lighted park will include five areas with concrete terrain for all experience levels. A street skating area will greet skaters before they approach a series of bowls and half-pipes that become more complex, with some steep drops of 9 and 13 feet.

The 20-foot cradle, a spoon-like structure that extends from the expert bowl area, is the largest in the world, Rondot said.

Outshines the rest

With its bold design, expansive size and skyline views, all other skate parks in the Houston area pale in comparison, Sellers said.

"The thing about a concrete park is it's all about the flow," he said. "You can drop in once and never have to get off your board. You'll be able to surf this concrete."

Nearly half of the construction is finished. While peeking inside the site, Kendall and Sellers noticed scuff marks that some skaters have left on the lips of the bigger bowls.

"That's from the designers," Rondot said. "They get to test out the park."

Sellers said that because he does not have health insurance he rarely skates now. That will change when the park opens this summer.

"My wife won't let me skate so much," he said. "I think she's gonna have to live with this one. I'm gonna have to do something to pacify her because I'm probably gonna live here until next Christmas."

robert.crowe@chron.com

yeah i had those insurance questions myself...maybe because its funded via donations? not sure

and i bet it was the jamail brothers and friends skating this past weekend...supposedly they cant stay away and who would blame them!

its at memorial drive and sabine

How are they getting around the liability stuff? I always heard that's what killed the old skate parks.

I think skating there is an assumption of the risk--like a public swimming pool. On the other hand, if there are problems like a crack in the pavement that cause someone to fall, that would be premise defect. I would imagine liability in that scenario.

Park at the Sabine Street Bridge between Memorial Dive and Allen Pkwy. Its by the Sabine Street Lofts and Fonde Rec. Center.

• 3 months later...

just wanted to say that i went to the opening with the mayor and "skate celebrities" etc in attendance and it was a great time and the park is way cool!

everyone should go check it out...even if you dont skate it is fun to watch those that do...

just wanted to say that i went to the opening with the mayor and "skate celebrities" etc in attendance and it was a great time and the park is way cool!

everyone should go check it out...even if you dont skate it is fun to watch those that do...

What kind of 'skate celebrities?'

A or B listers, by 'skating celebrity' standards?

What kind of 'skate celebrities?'

A or B listers, by 'skating celebrity' standards?

A list. Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, Christian Hosoi, Omar Hasaan, Shaun White, Lincoln Ueda, Steve Alba, etc. etc.

How are they getting around the liability stuff? I always heard that's what killed the old skate parks.

As a government owned entity, they have virtually no liability. State and local governments are immune from liability under the Tort Claims Act. In addition, they are also immune under the Civil Practice and Remedies Code for government owned land used for certain recreation purposes, including skateboarding.

As a government owned entity, they have virtually no liability. State and local governments are immune from liability under the Tort Claims Act. In addition, they are also immune under the Civil Practice and Remedies Code for government owned land used for certain recreation purposes, including skateboarding.

Actually, states and their subsidiaries are

• 1 year later...

I wonder how it would fare based on attendance. It seems that any time I go by the place is packed.

Also, there's something ironic about the WSJ publishing a positive article on skateboarding. The sport has entered mainstream acceptance, which is quite a change from when I was a kid in the 80's and every adult assumed you were a misfit for riding a skateboard.

Also, there's something ironic about the WSJ publishing a positive article on skateboarding. The sport has entered mainstream acceptance, which is quite a change from when I was a kid in the 80's and every adult assumed you were a misfit for riding a skateboard.

The Journal broke out of its Old Grey Lady stereotype back in the 90's. It hasn't been the paper most people think it is in more than a decade.

Sure, there's still a lot of density, but there's a lot of good, readable, interesting content as well. When America gets down to seven or eight newspapers, I hope that the WSJ is one of them.

• Like 1

I liked how the our skatepark has Downtown as the backdrop.

Me too. It's one of the best views in the city.

The Journal broke out of its Old Grey Lady stereotype back in the 90's. It hasn't been the paper most people think it is in more than a decade.

Sure, there's still a lot of density, but there's a lot of good, readable, interesting content as well. When America gets down to seven or eight newspapers, I hope that the WSJ is one of them.

True. It's just the irony of what the two used to represent meshing in this way. The WSJ does fine reporting, although I think their editorials are still complete BS. Hopefully Rupert & Co. won't mess with the integrity of the journalism side of the house.

Edited by barracuda
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Lee and Joe Jamail Skatepark