811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

It was super-slow buffering for me as well.

I had the same problem and was losing my patience and figure that it was just a routing problem (plus I'm on wireless) so I just hit reload, that seemed to do the trick just fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Photos from this morning... Laying rebar around the recently poured office tower footprint.

Awesome pictures, I appreciate it. I was driving by yesterday and was damning the fence for not giving a good street level view.

I guess the foundation is about to be poured in the next couple of weeks?

Awesome pictures, I appreciate it. I was driving by yesterday and was damning the fence for not giving a good street level view.

I guess the foundation is about to be poured in the next couple of weeks?

Great shots!...is the white building (hotel?) next to it staying?

^^^^Yeah, i know what you mean. i was in H-town this summer and hardly recognized some parts of it. My GOD, that's A LOT of rebar. i definately want to see the finished product, but like waiting for Christmas or a big vacation, the waiting is half the fun. Watching it slowly but surely rising on the skyline is a bit of architectural foreplay. B)

m.

I still don't understand why that "garden" area near the top doesn't face Main Street (since it is Main Place)... the views would be so much better... maybe b/c it would be facing away from the sun? I would think that would be a good thing, especially in the summer.

^^^^Yeah, i know what you mean. i was in H-town this summer and hardly recognized some parts of it. My GOD, that's A LOT of rebar. i definately want to see the finished product, but like waiting for Christmas or a big vacation, the waiting is half the fun. Watching it slowly but surely rising on the skyline is a bit of architectural foreplay. B)

m.

That's exactly what I thought.

I still don't understand why that "garden" area near the top doesn't face Main Street (since it is Main Place)... the views would be so much better... maybe b/c it would be facing away from the sun? I would think that would be a good thing, especially in the summer.

The other side will face the park(ish). To see Main St, you'd have to be right up to the edge looking down to catch a view.

True... but I still think the view would be better... get to see more buildings and stuff... just my opinion. :-)

I agree. The park is nice on the ground but it's not that interesting of a view compared to some of the cool architecture in the other direction. Also when you look towards the park you might see all of the refineries along the ship channel which isn't exactly pretty. Maybe if the weather was right you could see the bay or the Gulf, or is that just too far?

I agree. The park is nice on the ground but it's not that interesting of a view compared to some of the cool architecture in the other direction. Also when you look towards the park you might see all of the refineries along the ship channel which isn't exactly pretty. Maybe if the weather was right you could see the bay or the Gulf, or is that just too far?

Kind of funny... One Park Place advertises the view of the refineries as a bonus:

Houston-based Finger Cos. is developing One Park Place. The building has a selling point that no other city can claim, said Marvy Finger, chief executive officer: windows looking out on lights shining from miles of refineries and petrochemical plants after sundown.

"You're really viewing a Christmas tree at night,'' he said.

link

Kind of funny... One Park Place advertises the view of the refineries as a bonus:

Houston-based Finger Cos. is developing One Park Place. The building has a selling point that no other city can claim, said Marvy Finger, chief executive officer: windows looking out on lights shining from miles of refineries and petrochemical plants after sundown.

"You're really viewing a Christmas tree at night,'' he said.

link

I agree with Marvy. From a distance, the refineries are cool. Up close, they are as well, though the smell may influence your opinion.

I said I wouldn't mind either. My biggest complaint about having a view of refineries isn't the lighting.

If not the oz-like nightscape, then what is it? The billowing, streaming clouds of steam eminating forcefully from the stacks? The occasional flare that lights up the night sky in a massive fireball for hours on end? The pointy steel spires that frame the San Jac Monument?

The petrochemical complex, IMO, is itself a form of architecture that is Houston's very own. No other major city has what we have, and what we have is beautiful.

Regardless of your view on petrochemicals, pollution, symbolism, or whatnot, looking at them just kicks total ass.

---------------------------------

Getting back on topic, people should bear in mind that even though the rooftop garden faces away from the skyline, that doesn't mean that people can't enjoy the view. Only the view will be from behind glass curtainwall and isn't going to be interfered with by obnoxious visual blight like trees or other people gawking and socializing.

Moreover, if it is the symbolism of refineries that bothers you, perhaps the symbolism of trees and a garden in the sky along the side of the building with views of the refinery would offset your concerns.

Edited by TheNiche

I'm not saying it really bothers me, I'm just saying I would prefer the city view, that's all. I think the possibility of seeing the gulf or the bay on a clear day would be cool though.

To each his/her own.

El Paso is basically gutting the entire building, and redoing everything from the structure out. I believe the building is also getting a new, all glass lobby which is supposed to be spectacular. Hines is acting as the Project Manager, with Gilbane as the General Contractor.

This may be deserve it's own thread since it looks like they've kinda started. Through the netting, the lights inside were a bit easier to see since I guess the windows on those floors have been removed. Here's a photo from this afternoon.

DSC00839.jpg

http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=2077

http://www.mainplacehouston.com/

MainPlace Houston :P

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Hines is developing MainPlace, a signature 46-story office tower located in downtown Houston at 811 Main Street. Slated to receive LEED Silver Pre-certification, MainPlace will contain approximately one million rentable square feet. Designed by the nationally recognized architectural firm of Pickard Chilton, MainPlace will be clad in horizontal sunshades of glass and aluminum that will wrap around the building

Edited by Dominax