811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

21st Century Skid Rows are a different breed. Now they're dispersed across the city, on every corner and in front of every store.

So, Globalism has hit Skid Row as well? We are now outsourcing Skid Row to every 7-11 and Valero Corner Store across the city?

Is it time to bring in my friend to fight this trend?

anarchist_jpg5B15D.jpg

C'mon, Red, Skid Row is old school big city, like 20th Century, back when men were men and homeless were bums. Yes, LA still has one but that could just be political feelgoodism refusing to let the market move the moldy mattresses.

21st Century Skid Rows are a different breed. Now they're dispersed across the city, on every corner and in front of every store.

The romance is gone.

I call that little stretch of Montrose by the Interfaith Ministries, Skid Row.

Haha yeah.

At least the Montrose skid corner has some more going on than just the skid stuff. There are a few good restaurants around there, and half priced books usually has a better selection than the other used bookstores I've been to!

Edited by Jax

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
if the public transportation system needs to get better, why not try and improve the system we have currently? putting in one new line isn't going to make a difference to most, leaving most with the same impression (METRO is mediocre).

You know, I had the same general attitude against Metro until I did contract IT work for them. They have faced tremendous adversity in getting any rail system implemented here in Houston. It's easy to take potshots without knowing anything but Metro is really taking the future of mass transit very seriously. Believe it or not, the Main Street line was the best they could do given the strength of the opposition. It's not much to speak of but it is a start and it has given them a foothold to build on.

You know, I had the same general attitude against Metro until I did contract IT work for them. They have faced tremendous adversity in getting any rail system implemented here in Houston. It's easy to take potshots without knowing anything but Metro is really taking the future of mass transit very seriously. Believe it or not, the Main Street line was the best they could do given the strength of the opposition. It's not much to speak of but it is a start and it has given them a foothold to build on.

Building a line that causes more congestion than it relieves does not impress me; the harder they work to overcome adversity and build things that make my life more inconvenient, the more unimpressed I am with them.

My office overlooks Preston Station, and it does not inconvenience me.

Funny how the people furthest from the line seem to complain about it the most.

I live within a half-mile of it, and the three biggest problem areas are:

• Fannin & South Loop
  • Greenbriar & Braeswood
  • Fannin & Braeswood

Once up north of Hermann Park, there are parallel roads and a reasonably efficient grid system. Downtown, there are few issues at all; it doesn't surprise me that you've had no problems with it.

I live within a half-mile of it, and the three biggest problem areas are:
  • Fannin & South Loop
  • Greenbriar & Braeswood
  • Fannin & Braeswood

Once up north of Hermann Park, there are parallel roads and a reasonably efficient grid system. Downtown, there are few issues at all; it doesn't surprise me that you've had no problems with it.

add richmond and main. in the afternoon it is a challenge.

Metro Rail makes things in other peoples lives more convenient, just not yours.

I don't doubt that it makes some people's lives more convenient--if not in time savings then in terms of comfort or just the uppity satisfaction of doing the 'green' thing that Al Gore told them to--but by the numbers, it just doesn't compare to the added level of congestion or the added inconvenience to those that now have to use the Red Line as an intermediate mode that used to be able to avoid an extra transfer.

I certainly want to see Main Place go up, so don't get me wrong. I was wondering though, how are some of these buildings allowed to be demolished? I would think the Houston Historical Society would be screaming bloody murder. Has this already been addressed? How does something like this get passed if historical buildings are to be demolished?

m. B)

I certainly want to see Main Place go up, so don't get me wrong. I was wondering though, how are some of these buildings allowed to be demolished? I would think the Houston Historical Society would be screaming bloody murder. Has this already been addressed? How does something like this get passed if historical buildings are to be demolished?

m. B)

Even if buildings are historic landmarks they can still demolished - only protected landmarks have legal...protection, and the owner of the property has to initiate that.

The only progress that has been made in Houston recently is the Protected Historic District designation for Old Sixth Ward, and many folks had a cow over that.