811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

Correct

We haven't seen a 360 degree view of this thing from the bottom yet, right? All we've seen so far is the lobby and garage, and from this new pic, they look to be facing fannin for the most part. Do we know what will be on main's side? Maybe another entrance to the lobby?

Can anybody on here put together some graphics of what the skyline will look like from the North (I-45 coming S.) and the West (I-10 going E.)

This will fill in some holes the skyline has from certain angles.

It's nice. I'd still love to see more 10-story mixed use structures, though.

FWIW...

Was by there this morning and most of the old buildings were opened up with a bunch of guys in hard hats moving in and out. The old Dollar Store or whatever it was lookied like it had become a staging ground for the demolition and there were some Cherry Demolition trailers parked inside the old West Building. I saw one guy carrying out some debris so it looks like the destruction is imminent. Anyone know how and when they plan to bring those buildings down?

Here is the embedded photo for those that are too lazy to click on it.

Thanks for the photo.

4r7a4j8.jpg

The rendering is very cool. I hope the final product won't be tweeked too much and look different. This really has a contemporary feel to it and the garden area near the top is awesome. I wonder how visible it will be from the North and West sides. And to add what someone else already said- maybe someone could compile a Houston 2012 photo....not just DT, but UT and MT as well.

m. B)

thanks for the update.

do you know/could you share the timeline for the demolition of the remaining structures?

I second that request. I have always wanted to see an implosion! >:) Where would one even look to find that out?

I remember when they brought down Page Parks. For obvious reasons, it was early on a Sunday or Saturday. I missed it, but someone on Haif posted a jpeg.

wow! that was fast! I haven't been in downtown in a couple of days. Before you know it that wrecking ball will be hitting the rest of it in no time!

I had noticed a few days ago that they shut down a lane on Rusk, but I didn't know why. I'm curious on how construction is going to affect main. Odds are they're probably going to have to shut down the northbound side for the duration of construction eventually.

I just walked around the block of the site, and they have crews crawling all over the brown building that fronts Main, with some others in the Montague. They have built scaffolding the entire height of the Stowers building in between it and the other one that is going to be demolished.

I guess they must be going level by level on these taller structures taking them out from the top down. It would be fun to watch the Montague go down, any ideas on the timing of the implosion? The area definitely has the smell of recently opened crawlspaces that have not seen the light of day since the 1800

Edited by Nate99

Here's a photo from my walk yesterday after work.

I really cannot wait for these blights to be leveled. I agree with some of the nostalgia, but when the buildings have been vacant for twenty years and/or are a haven for criminals, I have to give way to development. This building will do wonders for the area.

Good bye shady buildings and bum tinkle smell! :lol:

Edited by bkjones98

The rest of the demolition will be spread over the coming 3 months, with the implosion of the Montague set for early January.

We will not be closing a lane on Main Street, as lane closures on Main Street are not allowed.

I wonder why permission was granted to implode the Montague, but the William Penn had to be brought down by wrecking ball.

that has an interesting ring to it...

really, though, someone's going to need to pressure-wash the Just-a-Dollar to make the area more "smell-purty"

I hope Kirby Lofts entrance is included in any future pressure washings. The "No Restrooms" sign on the front door is a fine piece of irony, given that the concentration of pee is enough to make ones eyes water.

Had a short chat with a demolition worker yesterday and he verified that the Main Street portion of the West Building will be dismantled brick-by-brick. I thought he said that the bricks may be saved, but that may be a mistaken impression. He also was unaware of any plans to save that Moderne/Streamline doorway. :(

Also verified that the Montegu will be imploded sometime in January.

I hope at least a few of the details from the West Building (terra-cotta brackets) and the Montegu (those fabulous lion's heads above the entry canapy) are saved.

I really cannot wait for these blights to be leveled. I agree with some of the nostalgia, but when the buildings have been vacant for twenty years and/or are a haven for criminals, I have to give way to development. This building will do wonders for the area.

Good bye shady buildings and bum tinkle smell! :lol:

We could even say that this was the last remaining piece of any Skid Row that DT Houston ever had, and so represents a superficial turning point in Houston's metamorphosis into a mega-city.

We could even say that this was the last remaining piece of any Skid Row that DT Houston ever had, and so represents a superficial turning point in Houston's metamorphosis into a mega-city.

Wait a minute. Virtually every mega-city has a Skid Row. Could Houston have inadvertantly doomed any chance it ever had of becoming a mega-city by the destruction of its last remaining shred of Skid Row? Are we forever destined by this careless act of urban renewal to be just a large Fort Worth?

Wait a minute. Virtually every mega-city has a Skid Row. Could Houston have inadvertantly doomed any chance it ever had of becoming a mega-city by the destruction of its last remaining shred of Skid Row? Are we forever destined by this careless act of urban renewal to be just a large Fort Worth?

C'mon, Red, Skid Row is old school big city, like 20th Century, back when men were men and homeless were bums. Yes, LA still has one but that could just be political feelgoodism refusing to let the market move the moldy mattresses.

21st Century Skid Rows are a different breed. Now they're dispersed across the city, on every corner and in front of every store.

The romance is gone.