811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

Our icon should be the lack of an icon? What are you talking about? The lack of one DOES bring us into conformity. The whole idea of an icon is that it's something that sets you or your city or your business apart. That's why companies have logos. C'mon economist Niche, how iconic would a business be with no logo, generic business cards, and products of all the same size, shape, and colors.

Like it or not, NO icon is what would make Houston like almost everywhere else. No icon is why some people say, "Houston, what's there besides NASA?" Icons are why Las Vegas, Orlando, Washington, New York, and others are set apart from the Charlottes, Buffalos, Tampas, and Phoenixes of the world. No icons is why most of Sugar Land will feel just like Addison, Round Rock, Leander, McKinney, Plano, Metairie, Mesa, Naperville, Scottsdale, and Fairfax. No need of listing the states because you can be dropped in them all and not tell the difference most of the time.

Thankfully Houston was started in 1836 and not 2006--otherwise there would be no Astrodome (thankfully foolish foreign Deutsche Bank saved it from the Houstonian Efficiciency Complex), no San Jacinto Monument, no Memorial Park (an open park as the "highest and best economical use of the land?"), and maybe even no NASA (today's thinkers would probably use a cost/benefit analysis and say there's no future in space exploration if their thought processes were warped back in time)

GovernorAggie for MAYOR of Houston, GovernorAggie for MAYOR of Houston!!!!!! Say it brother. B)

Hines doesn't appear to own or have building rights to those parking lots. Maybe Hines tried to get one of those parking lots but the owner was a dick and wouldn't sell. Or maybe they didn't try to buy it. Or maybe Hines is haggling on price to purchase one of those parking lots as I type. Or maybe they could careless about those parking lots. Or maybe someone else bought the parking lots for development. Or maybe whoever owns the parking lots likes the parking lot business. Or maybe the owner of the parking lot wants to develope something better than just an office tower, but they haven't released anything to the public about yet. Or maybe whatever.... There are many possible reasons why Hines isn't building or trying to build on those parking lots. I just don't think Hines should be made a 'bad guy' or whatever just because they're going to build on a lot that has buildings already on it instead of on a parking lot.

I just don't think Hines should be made a 'bad guy' or whatever just because they're going to build on a lot that has buildings already on it instead of on a parking lot.

nope, that's just their business (or how they do it, rather). imo, it would be nice if, since they are determined to build on this particular plot, they stepped up to the plate and adaptively reused the structures - much like the Stowers building and Spire Realty (before they did the Jekyll and Hyde thing with the Penn Hotel).

Edited by sevfiv

I don't understand why they have to demolish structures when their is empty parking lots two blocks away along Main. Is their a logical reason for this?

I assume that you are talking about Texas at Main?

Give it time, that lot is not going to be vacant for much longer.

nope, that's just their business (or how they do it, rather). imo, it would be nice if, since they are determined to build on this particular plot, they stepped up to the plate and adaptively reused the structures - much like the Stowers building and Spire Realty (before they did the Jekyll and Hyde thing with the Penn Hotel).

To my knowledge, the Stowers Building may look beautiful, but it has been a financial bust. Office condos are a hard sell, primarily because the market isn't deep enough to be at all liquid.

To my knowledge, the Stowers Building may look beautiful, but it has been a financial bust. Office condos are a hard sell, primarily because the market isn't deep enough to be at all liquid.

apparently - it has been vacant for a sad amount of time.

it's too bad - i know there are folks out there with enough money and know-how to make things like this work.

just not here.

Edited by sevfiv

600xpopupgalleryey0.jpg

I like it because it looks different from anything I have seen before, but I can see the nickname already. The PAC MAN building or the PEZ Dispenser Building.

So glad to see a rendering of it! That is nice and I like how it just stands out from the other towers. It looks so futuristic to me. Nice add to the skyline.

nice looking building to fill in a gap in the skyline which han't seen much activity recently

Edited by TxDave

This looks really nice. I like it :D

Plans call for the building to be completed by late 2010.

seems so far away...better than never

The new project, to be called MainPlace

someone might want to change the name of this thread

...is one of four being planned for downtown

I'm excited about the other buildings, hope they get built

Looks surprisingly similar to one of the sketches somebody did! Is that a garden near the top?

looks like there will be a couple gardens:

It will also have a recessed "sky garden" on one of the top floors and a parking garage with a "green" or landscaped roof.

From the Chron article:

While the national economy will be modestly affected by the tightening of credit, overall demand for energy and commodities will continue to rise, putting Houston in a strong position, Hines' Cover said.

The company is even looking into the future beyond MainPlace.

Hines is locking up a second location on Main Street, between Texas and Capitol, where it's considering another office building.

So Hines was last to formally disclose a building project and first to produce a rendering. Works for me. Two more towers have tentative (IMO) groundbreaking dates of January and February. If they don't slip, that'll be a minor miracle, and a great thing! Even more so, hopefully we can get a couple renderings in the next few months.