811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

How unfortunate. There are so many parking lots. And uglier buildings.

Sorry if I'm late in the game on this one. It's just frustrating when good looking stuff comes down instead of the things that need to go.

I am sure folks would argue that the majority of the block wasn't "good looking stuff," but I share your sentiment.

Unfortunately, no one was able to come forth with the vision or money to do something good with the properties, so they just sat...and sat...and sat.

Demolition by neglect.

How unfortunate. There are so many parking lots. And uglier buildings.

Sorry if I'm late in the game on this one. It's just frustrating when good looking stuff comes down instead of the things that need to go.

Like most of us, I would love to see the Montague renovated. As noted above, however, it just sat there as a brothel for decades.

The silver lining, as I see it, will be the improved value of the adjacent buildings. I can't wait to see the old Texaco building and its north-Rusk counterpart turned into a swanky hotel or luxury condos. With the addition of Main Place, I think the renovation of these buildings is just a few years away.

Welcome to the thread.

Edited by bkjones98

Like most of us, I would love to see the Montague renovated. As noted above, however, it just sat there as a brothel for decades.

The silver lining, as I see it, will be the improved value of the adjacent buildings. I can't wait to see the old Texaco building and its north-Rusk counterpart turned into a swanky hotel or luxury condos. With the addition of Main Place, I think the renovation of these buildings is just a few years away.

Welcome to the thread.

i agree. Without something to vitalize that part of town, more well loved buildings could perhaps, fall into disrepair, so this project will probably save more beloved historic spots.

m.

i agree. Without something to vitalize that part of town, more well loved buildings could perhaps, fall into disrepair, so this project will probably save more beloved historic spots.

I agree. I love the look of the Texaco building (much more than the New West Building and Montagu). I'm really hope something good will happen with it soon. So much potential there, and it's depressing to see it empty.

There will be a buffer where Bond is (was), but it is still close to Stowers, as well as Club Quarters and Texaco.

I hope they release a date soon and create viewing areas - it would be a shame for such an insanely large ($) company to blast the old Cotton into nonexistence without a proper farewell.

I don't doubt that it makes some people's lives more convenient--if not in time savings then in terms of comfort or just the uppity satisfaction of doing the 'green' thing that Al Gore told them to--but by the numbers, it just doesn't compare to the added level of congestion or the added inconvenience to those that now have to use the Red Line as an intermediate mode that used to be able to avoid an extra transfer.

Not just wrong - in the wrong thread, too.

Oh, nay-sayers nay-sayers...

I'm all for preservation and stuff, but this is one sweet action project. Houston needs to get out of it's funk and reclaim some of our architectural legacy. Cheap infill ain't gonna do it, so we better build up. The contrast of Main Place in the "old" section of downtown will be super impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
I know there are a lot of people who wish that this could have been built on an empty surface lot where historic buildings wouldn't have to be torn down, but there just weren't any empty surface lots in downtown Houston. Oh wait...

mmhmm....

It also doesn't help that there are a bunch of high class 'lords that buy up and do nothing.

Aside from Masterworks Development Corp/Club Quarters and their fantastic renovation of the Texas State Hotel (okay, honorable mention to the eternally empty Stowers that Spire Realty owns, and the horribly re-veneered Sanguinet, Staats, Hedrick & Gottlieb building at 806 Main - at least it is in use)

we have, in that general block area:

-The Davis Brothers and the Beatty-West Building

-Crescent Real Estate/Texas Co. Building LP and the Texas Co. Building

-Aaron Wiese and the Battelstein Building

-Montagu/Hotel Cotton - complete waste of a good building

-Bond Clothing - another waste, but stuck in the middle of everything

Way to go, guys.

I know there are a lot of people who wish that this could have been built on an empty surface lot where historic buildings wouldn't have to be torn down, but there just weren't any empty surface lots in downtown Houston. Oh wait...

Please...

This block will help the entire Main Street corridor and hopefully spur a redevelopment of those older, historic towers. This particular block I heard was not too great, and the Stowers building was redeveloped to no success. With MainPlace coming in, I bet some small businesses will move into the Stowers Building. You are just so set on Houston not caring about anything historic.

• Like 1

Looks like KPMG is going to go for more than 100,000 sq. ft.

But of course, no one is REALLY talking about what's going on. Since KPMG is currently in Bank of America Center, I wonder the remaining tenants are going to swallow up the space.