811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

The entire part of the building facing Main Street is retail space.

The Walker-Main parking garage is NOT a Hines development. The owner of Pennzoil is the owner and sole decision maker on the project, and Hines is the development manager only.

i dont understand what they are talking about when they say it will break ground on earth day '08 and open on earth day '11. are they talking about the parking garage? because MainPlace is going to break ground this year if im not misunderstaken.

Looking at the map of proposed towers, it appears that the Brookfield site is on the west side of downtown. Isn't that the most photographed side of downtown? Of all the proposed towers, I think the Brookfield one will need to be the most architecturely significant one if it's going to be right out there in front, on the most seen side of downtown.

i dont understand what they are talking about when they say it will break ground on earth day '08 and open on earth day '11. are they talking about the parking garage? because MainPlace is going to break ground this year if im not misunderstaken.

The Earth Day 2008 event is a "ceremonial groundbreaking" and, while the building is scheduled for completion during 2010, they plan a "Grand Opening" on Earth Day 2011.

I think it's a very bold design with the somewhat limited space (they only have 75% of the block, right?) they have to work with. Even if it is ONLY 46, the lines will make this building soar from the ground. KRIV had a brief mention of this building tonight and actually showed what the building would look like from the east. it would definitely stand out.

Construction should prove fairly challenging because of the tight spaces involved, not only will Main street traffic be closed off in the section for a year, but the potential of interference with Club Quarter's Valet should be a bit of a nuisance as well. If the building is set to be completed by 2010, I would suspect that they are working on a rather tight schedule for their materials. I hope the Project Manager wasn't overly ambitious.

Not to be a downer on an otherwise terrific project, I kinda' hope they thought it through with the park near the top as well as the parking garage (both touches I DO admire). If we get a hurricane, the winds can cause some serious havoc (The winds are at a higher velocity with the increase of altitude). Those are really my only concerns about the project.

Hines' own press release said site work actually began today. Remember, they have to demolish at least 3 buildings if not more (been a long time since I have been on that block).

I really like the design. It is something different without being too outlandish.

I am also liking the early rendering for the Discovery Tower. It is simple but certainly not just a boring box of a building.

I am holding my breath on Brookfield's "Gateway Tower" that is rumored to have Devon Energy's interest. I know it won't be a super-tall (most likely 30 floors) but I am hoping we get a spire. I think the far Southwestern corner of downtown right on the Pierce Elevated could use a spire as a demarcation between downtown and the 4th Ward/Midtown areas right across the highway.

Well, move in the benches that will be up there.

Well I'm sure benches and such will more than likely be bolted down, I'm more concerned with the shrubbery/trees.

After Hurricane Alicia (if I remember correctly), the city determined that the majority of the glass broken on the highrises were caused by the debries on various roofs, which turned out to be gravel. I BELIEVE they have an ordinance would solve the majority of the problem. but the question is of the trees/heavy brushes up there.

Well I'm sure benches and such will more than likely be bolted down, I'm more concerned with the shrubbery/trees.

After Hurricane Alicia (if I remember correctly), the city determined that the majority of the glass broken on the highrises were caused by the debries on various roofs, which turned out to be gravel. I BELIEVE they have an ordinance would solve the majority of the problem. but the question is of the trees/heavy brushes up there.

That would be correct. Keep in mind that Alicia was a mild hurricane compared to Rita, Katrina or most recently Dean. The City of Houston no longer allows gravel rooftops but who knows what on top of those things! I doubt the city enforced the code and made every building replace it's roof. Only time will tell and I can tell you...I won't be here to experience the next hurricane.

As a meteorology major, I can tell you that it is also true that wind increases with height. Also winds increase dramatically when funneled through DT streets like that. In the event of a category 4 or 5 hurricane, gravel roof or not, MANY windows will be lost. But like anything, developers will continue to roll the dice. We haven't been hit by a "powerful" hurricane in 24 years (since Alicia). How long will our luck continue?

It's interesting to note that during Hurricane Katrina, one of the meteorologists that work in New Orleans issued a grave statement that read partly:

"Buildings will sway violently and then collapse!" :o

Edited by wxman

Hines' own press release said site work actually began today. Remember, they have to demolish at least 3 buildings if not more (been a long time since I have been on that block).

I really like the design. It is something different without being too outlandish.

I am also liking the early rendering for the Discovery Tower. It is simple but certainly not just a boring box of a building.

I am holding my breath on Brookfield's "Gateway Tower" that is rumored to have Devon Energy's interest. I know it won't be a super-tall (most likely 30 floors) but I am hoping we get a spire. I think the far Southwestern corner of downtown right on the Pierce Elevated could use a spire as a demarcation between downtown and the 4th Ward/Midtown areas right across the highway.

Where did you find Hines' press release? I can't find it on their website...

I think it's a very bold design with the somewhat limited space (they only have 75% of the block, right?) they have to work with. Even if it is ONLY 46, the lines will make this building soar from the ground. KRIV had a brief mention of this building tonight and actually showed what the building would look like from the east. it would definitely stand out.

Construction should prove fairly challenging because of the tight spaces involved, not only will Main street traffic be closed off in the section for a year, but the potential of interference with Club Quarter's Valet should be a bit of a nuisance as well. If the building is set to be completed by 2010, I would suspect that they are working on a rather tight schedule for their materials. I hope the Project Manager wasn't overly ambitious.

Not to be a downer on an otherwise terrific project, I kinda' hope they thought it through with the park near the top as well as the parking garage (both touches I DO admire). If we get a hurricane, the winds can cause some serious havoc (The winds are at a higher velocity with the increase of altitude). Those are really my only concerns about the project.

Hines specialty is taking on complex projects (two good examples are South Station in Boston and Cannon Street in London), so I imagine that they know exactly what to do to keep the parking garage and building terraces in good order as well as minimizing inconvenience to surrounding businesses. FYI, the Hines-built Calpine building has a garage terrace as well.

They got some significant demo work to be done there... either the Montague previously mentioned, or the other bldg coming down on that block.. one of them is 11 stories i think.

Also...

As much talk as we've had in other threads about building heights, supertalls coming or not coming to Houston, and the resounding disapointment from some, every time a building looses a level....

I think this photo goes to show that even just a 40 story building... if designed well and put in the right place... can have quite an impact.

Even if this thing gets 10 levels knocked off before built.. it's location and juxtaposition will still make it a great addition.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Edited by Highway6

They got some significant demo work to be done there... either the hotel previously mentioned, or the other bldg coming down on that block.. one of them is 11 stories i think.

significant and careful - Stowers is connected to Bond which is connected to Montagu which is connected to the one/two story retail behind it which is connected to Bond on the other side, which is connected to the West building, which brings us back to Stowers

6bk1lwk.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

:angry2:
Ditto on that, it is like those emails where you have yo scroll down to see the answer. . . damn you Trae!That was cruel! :(
I think this photo goes to show that even just a 40 story building... if designed well and put in the right place... can have quite an impact.Even if this thing gets 10 levels knocked off before built.. it's location and juxtaposition will still make it a great addition.
Let this on grow, not shrink. . .I hate when they shrink buildings.

significant and careful - Stowers is connected to Bond which is connected to Montagu which is connected to the one/two story retail behind it which is connected to Bond on the other side, which is connected to the West building, which brings us back to Stowers

6bk1lwk.jpg

Helpful pic... yeah.. the Montague is 11, West is 8, i think...

Surrounded on all sides by buildings just as high, not to mention the rail...

Should be interesting.

I don't know much about demo... are there other ways besides implosion to take down a 11 story building ?