811 Main: Office Skyscraper At 811 Main St.

houstonfella

Quite possibly. Considering location, technology, and interior and exterior structural design that's going into it, it really is going to be an awesome building.

I have no doubt it is. However, I can think of several that have better views, and air-conditioned access to the Galleria is always a plus.

I have no doubt it is. However, I can think of several that have better views, and air-conditioned access to the Galleria is always a plus.

Williams Tower and its brethren are nice, but its technology is dated. This one is going to be tremendously more energy efficient, though.

Alas, no. I'm getting a digital camera soon, and will start back with the photos

Correct. I just bought one on Sunday. I was downtown on Sunday and Friday... Main Place is still being dug out, but Discovery Tower has already laid it's foundation. OPP is on it's 32nd story as of today.

Williams Tower and its brethren are nice, but its technology is dated. This one is going to be tremendously more energy efficient, though.

Not sure energy efficiency alone makes something the best office building in Texas. View, location, architecture need to be factored in, and Williams trumps this one on all those. Plus, something in me kind of likes the way buildings of the previous generation flaunted cost-efficiency and practicality in the name of design. On Williams, they actually went with a less efficient elevator system so that the building could have a slimmer profile. It's kind of like those old GTO's and Mustangs... not the best mileage, but what a car.

Definitely true, but I heard that Williams actually runs more efficiently today than it did when it was built. And I swear I heard Hines is looking into seeking LEED status for it, but I might be way off.

Definitely true, but I heard that Williams actually runs more efficiently today than it did when it was built. And I swear I heard Hines is looking into seeking LEED status for it, but I might be way off.

LEED certification for existing buildings has more to do with operational processes than it does with physical retrofit. The bar is actually set pretty low.

Not sure energy efficiency alone makes something the best office building in Texas. View, location, architecture need to be factored in, and Williams trumps this one on all those. Plus, something in me kind of likes the way buildings of the previous generation flaunted cost-efficiency and practicality in the name of design. On Williams, they actually went with a less efficient elevator system so that the building could have a slimmer profile. It's kind of like those old GTO's and Mustangs... not the best mileage, but what a car.

If you say so. I like El Dorados, personally, and have often fantasized about having one gutted and souped up for regular driving...but coolness aside, I know its a bad idea. So not a good analogy.

But frankly, I'd prefer the views from the middle of downtown. If you'd ever been on the upper terrace of the Neils Esperson building, you probably would, too. Williams Tower is nice to drive by at night, but I certainly wouldn't want to office there.

And as far as who designed it...I really don't care. The designer is irrelevant. It is the design that matters.

But frankly, I'd prefer the views from the middle of downtown. If you'd ever been on the upper terrace of the Neils Esperson building, you probably would, too. Williams Tower is nice to drive by at night, but I certainly wouldn't want to office there.

For once I agree with The Niche!

If you say so. I like El Dorados, personally, and have often fantasized about having one gutted and souped up for regular driving...but coolness aside, I know its a bad idea. So not a good analogy.

And as far as who designed it...I really don't care. The designer is irrelevant. It is the design that matters.

Wow, this is a silly argument. When did I say anything about who designed it? No, I haven't been to that terrace, but I've been on the upper floors of just about every skyscraper downtown, and I know the kind of views you are talking about.

Well, looks like some floors will be occupied by the accounting firm KPMG as soon as its completed. They will be relocating from the Bank of America Center.

While Sarnoff may think this won't create a dent in the vacancy percentage in the CBD, it proves that companies that need room to expand are jumping ship. I'm sure the remaining tenants at BoA will grow into the vacated spot within a year or so after KPMG leaves.

Chron Article.

Edited by ricco67

Odd quote from the article:

Architect Jon Pickard of Pickard Chilton in New Haven, Conn., said the building will have a contemporary design while keeping with the historical tradition of Main Street's classic architecture.

What does that even mean? :wacko: I wish that just once a reporter would call people out on this kind of marketing nonsense.

Odd quote from the article:

What does that even mean? :wacko: I wish that just once a reporter would call people out on this kind of marketing nonsense.

It means the new building will reflect the subtle style and interplay that forms the nexus of downtown Houston's architectural heritage. It will be an homage to the pioneering spirit of the city's founding fathers and respectful of its mid-century aspirations while being LEED diamond pre-certified green eco-friendly hybrid 50% CF sustainable green roof friendly.

Sorry... I read a Hines brochure yesterday.

I certainly wouldn't want to office there.

"Verbing weirds nouns" --Calvin

It means the new building will reflect the subtle style and interplay that forms the nexus of downtown Houston's architectural heritage. It will be an homage to the pioneering spirit of the city's founding fathers and respectful of its mid-century aspirations while being LEED diamond pre-certified green eco-friendly hybrid 50% CF sustainable green roof friendly.

LOL -- a good chuckle to get the day started! Great humor.

:lol:

Oh yes, of course. Why didn't I see that?

KPMG Reserves 108,904 SF in 1M-SF Spec Trophy

By Amy Wolff

811 Main St.

HOUSTON-KPMG LLP is the first tenant to take space in the one-million-sf MainPlace. The audit and tax advisory firm will take down the top four floors, totaling 108,904 sf, of the under-construction office building in the CBD.

http://www.globest.com/news/1166_1166/houston/171099-1.html

• 3 weeks later...
Would anybody be nice enough to give us a photo update of this building?

On a side note OOP is bigger than I thought it would be. I'm not sure, but it is getting way up there now. Not really sure what I was expecting.

crown included (if you can call it a crown), this building is practically 40 stories.... that is nothing to scoff at.

Man, how deep are they going to go?

DT started a month later and they already poured concrete and have a crane up!

MainPlace is approximately 50% taller, so one presumes they will need a significantly deeper and more substantial foundation. Plus, I would imagine that having the Stowers Building to work around (and protect) does not exactly speed up the process.