Home At 5139 Darnell St.

sevfiv

That's just a couple of blocks from the Jackwood Parade of Homes houses. Do you know if the house was in really bad shape, extra small, or are a lot of Mansions coming to that neigborhood?

anyone familiar with this home or the architect (John R. Dossey) who is supposedly building its replacement?

The 1955 home is gone (or very soon to be), and was located just south of Beechnut between S. Rice and Ferris.

5zmspas.jpg

I didn't see it in person but I believe the pool was in the front yard hence the privacy fence. I think that contributed to ackward parking.

yes - i can see that now...

in this image (from local.live.com) you can see the pool directly behind the front fence:

5yvxd38.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

That tile is a little like ours but it looks smaller. I wonder if it could be Floyd or Jenkins. I doubt it's Jenkins, but he did have a house on the Jackwood parade.

This house does have the look of Floyd or Jenkins. The way the home is (or was) arranged around the pool is very Cliff May-esque.

Joseph Mashburn replied to me:

The 5139 Darnell house was designed by Harwood Taylor. Charles Tapley did a later, unexecuted remodeling scheme for the house. We believe that the front gate was by Gertrude Barnstone. Although the house had suffered some remodeling (mostly superficial and contained to the site and garage), the main house was pretty much intact in 1998 when we bought it. Julia and I restored some of the previous damage and generally brought the main house back to its original form and intent. Although the slab was cracked, the house was in generally sound condition when we sold it. I am saddened by the news that it is to be demolished.

So there you have it. A Taylor bites the dust. I'll drive by and take a picture just in case it's still there.

Jason

Joseph Mashburn replied to me:

So there you have it. A Taylor bites the dust. I'll drive by and take a picture just in case it's still there.

Jason

thanks for contacting Mashburn.

i went by yesterday evening and it was long gone - pictures are at home, though

there are some remnants of tile on the lot and a sago palm, though :(

Edited by sevfiv

Thank goodness the Sago was near the fence and got spared. It is one of the best I have seen.

Stolitx's house in Glenbrook is a deluxe version of this layout concept.

DSCN0147.jpg

Just what I was thinking. I dont' know about deluxe, but my house has the pool in the front behind a gate as well. Proudly still standing. And huge Sagos as well.

I just wish I knew the architect of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and saw this house several times when it was on the market last year. The windows surrounding the patio are great, but the house had a lot of problems. It was definitely liveable, but previous remodels left it a mishmash. The main problem was that the garage was converted into a very large laundry room, and the fence was put up because a tiny "martini pool" was installed. This meant that there was room for two cars to park and that was it. No street parking was allowed during the day. And yes, there are A LOT of McMansions going up in the area. And the house would always be worth lot value because of it--it was too small to compete with the new ones.

Still, I'm sad to see it go.

• The title was changed to Home At 5139 Darnell St.