Fort Bend Considering Westpark Tollway Extension To I-10

DJ2025

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Westpark Tollway! :)

I currently live in West Houston (not at the Grand Parkway though) and take it often to get into the Loop. It's worth the toll AND I don't have to slow down through a toll booth. I-10 is jammed it seems no matter what time of day it is - used to be when I first got here back in the mid-90s that you could pick times to travel it. Not any more... If there was a reliable heavy rail system here in Houston that connected the far-out areas to the Inner Loop/Downtown, I'd take it BUT we all know there isn't such a thing here. Probably never will be if things keep evolving as they are. So if you don't have rail - you drive from out here. And as long as I can afford it, I'll drive the Westpark Tollway over I-10 any day.

"The County is currently discussing the extension of Westpark Tollway west from the Grand Parkway to intersect with Interstate 10 west of Katy.  No schedule has been discussed for this extension."

I don't see this happening anytime soon.

First, the tollway needs to be completed to the presently planned terminus at the Grand Parkway and we need to see what kind of traffic it attracts. I haven't seen traffic data but I have used the Westpark tollway a few times (at non-rush hour) and it was deserted.

Second, tolls are very high - around 19 cents per mile. This will minimize traffic as people use alternate routes whenever feasible.

Third, the improved I-10 will have double the existing capacity so alternate toll routes such as Westpark will be less attractive.

Still, it would be good for FBCTRA to preserve a corridor. If it turns out a tollway is unneeded, we would have a nice wide boulevard instead.

Second, tolls are very high - around 19 cents per mile. This will minimize traffic as people use alternate routes whenever feasible.

Sometimes 19 cpm isn't so bad when there are major wrecks on all the other ways home. Living in Westchase and working near Reliant Stadium has taught me that. But I agree, the majority of the time I don't use it.

First, the tollway needs to be completed to the presently planned terminus at the Grand Parkway and we need to see what kind of traffic it attracts. I haven't seen traffic data but I have used the Westpark tollway a few times (at non-rush hour) and it was deserted.

Yeah, there's not traffic because there aren't any direct connectors with a major highway besides 59. If it was connected to I-10 west of Katy, with a sign that says "West Park Tollway/ I-10 Bypass" I guarantee that traffic would shoot up.

Third, the improved I-10 will have double the existing capacity so alternate toll routes such as Westpark will be less attractive.

With the time they will take to finish 1-10, they could build 5 Westpark Tollways.

It took then what, 2 years to build Westpark? And it will take less time to build from Grandparkway to I-10.....there's nothing out there.

The westpark tollway also doesn't have to go through the immense federal regulations and years of environmental and assesment studies required for frederally funded freeways.

A tollway is not always classified as an expressway (i.e. westpark tollway) This is just a four lane road with limited access. It does not meet all the AASHTO standards for expressways.

Even if you go into construction time, I-10 is much larger project that contains existing traffic that cannot be restricted during rush hour times during construction. This alone extends construction time. It would be possible to rebuild I-10 very quickly if they would just close down the entire freeway for three years.

And as for what is out on the westpark tollway alignment, once your are along the barker reservoir and west of it, the area is under intense development. I would estimate around 2000 acres are undevelopment and that number is on the low side.

• 4 years later...
Does anyone know the progress on this extension? Have they started construction?

I came across this quote on a developer's website, so looks like the community is planning around the extension:

"The Westpark Tollway is currently being planned to extend westward from the Grand Parkway to just west of FM 1463"

http://www.landadvisors.com/tamarronlakes/

Nope, no construction yet. But it has been talked about by both Fort Bend and Waller counties' EDCs for several years, especially after the Rita evacuation prompted concerns over access to westerly and northerly evacuation routes.

Tamarron Lakes isn't the only subdivision to try to bank on it. The developer of Cross Creek Ranch has gone so far as to allocate a suggested right-of-way in their land plan. It's that unlabeled wide white strip of land in the western part of their master plan.

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Fort Bend Considering Westpark Tollway Extension To I-10

Archived